Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

• No way! Keep them separate
    • Yes merge - it's Sheffield's only chance
    • Who cares - it's only football!
    • It would be impossible to merge them

Guest Guest

Why bother merging? The Blades are the prominent team. Wendy will get relegated and go out of existence, then there will be only one premiership team in the city, end of argument.

:D

If they did ever merge (yeah right) then they would be called Sheffield Wednesday!! They would take the Sheffield from United & Wednesday from the Owls!!

It would be played at Hillsborough cos to be honest it is the better ground of the two!!

Holds more too

bad idea for Wednesday and united to merge, as it would cause too many bitter united fans to revolt, and glory support someone else :/

Guest Guest

would never happen swfc are going down the pan and they would only bring sufc down with them. toatlly bad idea. sufc should have the lime light for a change.

Guest Guest

SUFC may be an embarrassingly small club with no long-term hope, but SWFC is recognised as a potentially huge club. If (when) we succeed in the future, we will once again be frequenting Wembley and flying high, while the Pigs will be where they deserve to be - the lower leagues !!!

I don't know whether my point is as valid as the fans here as I don't follow football in the slightest.

But they're both Sheffield. A merged team would be for the benefit of the city, surely.

I'd rather football was about raising the profile of the city and bringing more opportunies with it, rather than having two groups of fans in different coloured shirts calling each other pigs.

So speaks a non-football fan.

hi i'm moving to sheffield on the 2nd of feb (argggggghhh scary) and the flat i have is not far from bramel lane, i was wondering if there is much, congestion, noise or trouble after matches or is the police control good?

Guest Guest

How's about disolve both Wednesday & United and get some multi-millionaire to invest his monies into Sheffield Football Club, It wouldn't take long before it was a premiership team which the whole city could then support.

Didn't some millionaire invest in a Non league Spanish team (I think it was on the Canarie Islands) and 5 years later it was winner or runner-up in a European competition?

This would be the only way of stopping the embarassment of the long running loosing streak that Wednesday are having and it would also stop United from being promoted.

Sheffield Football Club is the oldest Football club in the world and this would result in a huge world-wide following, maybe even surpassing Manchester United.

I'm not serious by the way, just thought it would be amusing. Before any non-football heads think it sounds like a good idea!

Get real, merge! "tha c'n f**k r8 off"

The idea of merging with Sheffield FC was flaunted about a few years ago, being the oldest pro football club in the world and making it big (well - bigger) would be a great marketing angle.

Guest Guest

why not have a 3rd football club...maybe with their home at the don valley stadium....

oh!! after of course both united and wednesday are going down in the 3rd division....loosers!!!!

rotherham kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foreverdelayed wrote:

hi i'm moving to sheffield on the 2nd of feb (argggggghhh scary) and the flat i have is not far from bramel lane, i was wondering if there is much, congestion, noise or trouble after matches or is the police control good?

With United currently chasing promotion, you may well find you'll get a bit of traffic/parking congestion and some crowd noise on match days, depending how close to the ground you will be living. I don't think you will see much trouble, South Yorks police generally keep good control at matches.

I live in a house one street away from the ground in the mid 90's. If you have a car it's important to get parked up before the game starts as the traffic is pretty heavy and you can follow the score by the roar of the crowd. It no other inconvenence though.

The police are good at their job, and the vast majority of fans well behaved and the BBC stick chiefly to 'greeting' visiting fans with similar hobbies.