Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Wednesday and United merge - good idea?

• No way! Keep them separate
    • Yes merge - it's Sheffield's only chance
    • Who cares - it's only football!
    • It would be impossible to merge them

Sorry dont agree.

We always had an exciting top league. Unfortunately the european teams always had the beautiful football in theirs.

Post Sky & Premier League we now have the 2nd best league in Europe. The Spanish league remains the best but I believe that geographics just tend to shade it in their favour in that the best south american players will virtually always go to Madrid & Barca as opposed to Manchester & Newcastle.

So no, cannot agree.

Originally posted by "JonHarrison"

Sorry dont agree.

We always had an exciting top league. Unfortunately the european teams always had the beautiful football in theirs.

Post Sky & Premier League we now have the 2nd best league in Europe. The Spanish league remains the best but I believe that geographics just tend to shade it in their favour in that the best south american players will virtually always go to Madrid & Barca as opposed to Manchester & Newcastle.

So no, cannot agree.

I didn't necessarily mean less money just in UK football :)

The future of both Sheffield clubs has to be of concern, we may be die hard Owls or Blades but neither club has achieved that much in the last 80 years, yes the potential support is still there but has either club got a realistic hope of competing with the big boys ?

Wednesday have dire financial problems, United may have to take a financial gamble if they get promotion, just to maintain Premiership status. Look what happened at Leeds this season, having to sell some of it's best players because of heavy debt and a poor league position and that with nearly 40,000 average home gates. Only Man Utd and Arsenal are making the money to afford the top European players, Chelsea and Newcastle are striving to challenge them but are both in debt and without income from European cup competition would surely have to cut back.

The bubble has already burst for many clubs and without changes some clubs will inevitably go under in the next few years. I don't think it would be wise to dismiss the possibility of a Sheffield merger, wether we like it or not at some point in the future the decision to merge may be made for the benefit of Sheffield football. Let's not forget that 150 years ago neither club existed - will they both exist 50 years from now ?

Brilliantly put MichaelMeister. I love my club and to be honest do not find the merged clubs idea palatable. Unfortunately, reality must be faced sooner or later.

I see the financial points of a merger but surely this would be only a short term gain. The first time the new club went through a bad patch which it surely would and sooner rather than later, they would quickly fall into financial trouble again.

I strongly believe that the one club would recieve attendances a long way short of the figure you come up with by adding together United and Wednesday's average gates. The sense of rivalry generated by having two

clubs in the city creates exitment and passion from childhood and carries on in adulthood.

I feel that football is going to change over the next few years and will see a large fall in the running costs of clubs.It's allready begun in divisions 1 2 and 3 as we see clubs cutting players wages to more sensible levels,the pemiership clubs will do this also as the vast majority of them are in deep financial trouble.

Yikes!!! No way do us Blades want to be merged with the scum of the earth - the pigs. Sod that - the pigs are are bunch of loud mouthed, two faced, false, gobby gits. The BLADES are down to earth fans, who look after each other.

Also, I have been to Hillsborough on several occassions (I am ashamed to say - can fellow Blades forgive me!) years ago, and not once did I feel any friendliness or atmosphere. That ground is crap. Bramall Lane on the other hand, well, need I say more - what an atmosphere, and, the fans are fantastic.

Convincing post Top Blade ????????, how many years of research went into that ?

Been to Hillsborough several times have you ?

WOW !

Keep going to the Lane - they need you !!!!!!!

If United make it to the Premiership I don't think they will be too keen for any sort of merger. Perhaps Rotherham and Sheff Wednesday could merge and form a South Yorkshire super club. :lol::lol::wink:

Don't need research for Hillsborough - it's obviously the only ground where the scum of the earth (pigs (of the football sort - although, I must admit that the pigs cannot play football let alone understand it)) hang out!

Yes, unfortunately, I have been to the pigsty several times - can fellow Bladesmen forgive me of treading on crap ground.

Oh, don't worry - I will keep going to Bramall Lane - after all, it is a much better ground, and, there isn't any **** to trampell on - unless, of course, the scum b*$t@*d pigs are there.

Come on you BLADES. :D:lol::lol::wink:

As for a merger, I think the pigs and Barnsley are better suited, don't you!!!! :wink:

Originally posted by "Top Blade-FTP"

Don't need research for Hillsborough - it's obviously the only ground where the scum of the earth (pigs (of the football sort - although, I must admit that the pigs cannot play football let alone understand it)) hang out!

Yes, unfortunately, I have been to the pigsty several times - can fellow Bladesmen forgive me of treading on crap ground.

Oh, don't worry - I will keep going to Bramall Lane - after all, it is a much better ground, and, there isn't any sh*t to trampell on - unless, of course, the scum b*$t@*d pigs are there.

Come on you BLADES. :D:lol::lol::wink:

As for a merger, I think the pigs and Barnsley are better suited, don't you!!!! :wink:

united and barnsley?

you seem to forget, averages of 20000 per match at hillsboro' and under 10000 at utd..

its well known the blades are a bunch of uncouths

Oh dear, need I spell it out for you - I T !!!! No dear, the pigs are those scum that supposedly play football on the outskirts of Sheffield - which isn't really Sheffield now, is it! Anyway, the scum pigs and Barnsley - got it!!! Or do you need to go back to school again! I think the latter would suffice.

:)

Hmmm - under 10,000, at Bramall Lane - what, this season! Don't think so. The 20,000 or so (so you say) that go to that ground - are they dedicated pigs or are they just there for a day out (because it's cheap)? Again, I say, the latter.

rpg, are you so jealous of Sheffield United that they are doing so well, and Wednesday are not doing so well! The BLADES are the best in town :D , at least they are not a bunch of false, pathetic, moaning, good-for-nothing trollops - were the blokes actually use hand cream and file their nails - oh so girly. :shock:

Come on you BLADES - ftp.

not really, also, insighting flaming isnt tolerated on this board