Swimming (training)

Evening all.

I used to swim for a club back in my teens (not to any great level though).

I turned 30 this year and recently I've thought about training again (mainly for fitness).

I've emailed one team in Sheffield that has a masters squad, but they're full (I've not tried city of sheff as I'm not on their level).

So, it looks like its stupid lane swimming for me. Anyone got any suggestions about where to go (as cheap as poss, I'm already a member of a gym so was wondering whether you can get a swim only fitness unlimited card), and, if I have to train alone, do any pools allow fins ?

Also.....what's swim fit?

Any advice swimmers?

:)

There's a swim training session at Ponds Forge, as part of 'fitness unlimited' that you can get into for no additional charge. Its a useful halfway house between doing lengths and joining a club.

Ah, this that Swimfit thingy?

guess i'd have to have a full £30pcm membership though :-(

Lane swimming generally don't allow fins and hand paddles. ('elf and safety)..

You are generally OK with a pull buoy though.

where about's are you?

You can access these sessions as a pay as you go customer. If you attend regularly a membership would be cheaper, but PAYG is an option. There is a mix of abilities from lane swimmers to ex / current squad swimmers, and you'll work in a lane that suits your level.

Been this morning to Ponds Forge.

South Yorkshire Masters short course meeting and a diving event in the far end. AND there was still room for 5 lanes of public swimming. I had a lane to myself throughout my swim. This is as rare a rocking horse do-do at Ponds on the weekend.

But the point is that I saw a 400 mtr heat (mens) and they weren't so hot. The first place was about 5:35 but from fourth onwards they were all over 6 mins. It was the first heat and they subsequently got faster. Probably 50-54/55-59/60-64yrs age groups.

I would really recommend the Swimfit sessions -there's a few a week at Ponds Forge at different times of day. You can pay per time, around £6 and cheaper if you get a Lifecard thingy.

There's also Sheffield Tri Club who do sessions at PF on a Wed night and Graves on Saturday evenings, £4 per session. You'd need to join but it's not expensive for the year.