Parking outside my own house

No it isn't and I know it for a fact because I introduced the first of the schemes eight years ago or so. The first permit was then £35, after a few years it increased to £36, which didn't even match the rate of inflation. It is £36 now, so overall it has increased by £1.

There has been an intervening period in which the previous administration dropped the permit price to £10, then when they lost office, the incoming administration returned to the price back to it's former level in two steps. There does not currently appear to be any intention to increase prices any further. No-one will ever say increases will never happen.

Edited by Planner1

No it isn't and I know it for a fact because I introduced the first of the schemes eight years ago or so. The first permit was then £35, after a few years it increased to £36, which didn't even match the rate of inflation. It is £36 now, so overall it has increased by £1.

There has been an intervening period in which the previous administration dropped the permit price to £10, then when they lost office, the incoming administration returned to the price back to it's former level in two steps. There does not currently appear to be any intention to increase prices any further. No-one will ever say increases will never happen.

Whichever way you wish to hide the facts... the fact is the labour council put the charges up to £36 from £10

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 14:43 ----------

mumkin - those links don't say what the initial permit charge was, nor what it is now. Why don't you enlighten us?

Quote by Planner 1

The first permit was then £35, after a few years it increased to £36, which didn't even match the rate of inflation. It is £36 now, so overall it has increased by £1.

There has been an intervening period in which the previous administration dropped the permit price to £10, then when they lost office, the incoming administration returned to the price back to it's former level in two steps.

Consider yourself enlightened:roll:

What is so wrong with these schemes is the fact that if you don't want a parking permit scheme in on your road and it gets voted in to have one
In a way, that would be fairer as the schemes aren't "voted in". The council may or may not choose to do a "consultation" in the area before putting a scheme in. But they're under no obligation to act on the results of any consultation (if they decide to do one).

Only place to "vote" for it is at the ballot box when there's council elections. But it would mean people would have to go and vote. And possibly (gasp) forget about national party issues or their long-standing "I'll never vote for party x because of what they did a lifetime ago" and actually vote on local issues.

In a way, that would be fairer as the schemes aren't "voted in". The council may or may not choose to do a "consultation" in the area before putting a scheme in. But they're under no obligation to act on the results of any consultation (if they decide to do one).

As you know Phil, they always do a consultation and any areas which actually say they don't want a scheme aren't included in one.

As you know Phil, they always do a consultation and any areas which actually say they don't want a scheme aren't included in one.

But what they do is count the number of people who didn't express a preference as a vote for the scheme:suspect:

But what they do is count the number of people who didn't express a preference as a vote for the scheme:suspect:

Are you sure about that? You were wrong about the permit increases from inception, so this might be another equally inaccurate statement.

If it is true, anybody who opposes such a scheme should make their views known.

I'm very happy with the permit scheme for the area where I live. It has dramatically improved my quality of life.

Are you sure about that? You were wrong about the permit increases from inception, so this might be another equally inaccurate statement.

I'm very happy with the permit scheme for the area where I live. It has dramatically improved my quality of life.

The rates were reduced by the lib dems and then increased by Labour...... whichever way you want to spin it.

The rates were reduced by the lib dems and then increased by Labour...... whichever way you want to spin it.

I'm not spinning anything. Just reporting the truth.

Did you think about proving your other claim?

I'm not spinning anything. Just reporting the truth.

Did you think about proving your other claim?

Have a look at Planner 1s post regarding this...it's there for all to see.

Have a look at Planner 1s post regarding this...it's there for all to see.

Which one?

He's made thousands.

It might have improved your quality of life but it's not very fair on people who didn't want it in in your area who now have to pay for something they didn't want plus they have to pay for all the visitors to their property.

It might have improved your quality of life but it's not very fair on people who didn't want it in in your area who now have to pay for something they didn't want plus they have to pay for all the visitors to their property.

I have to put up with lots of things that I didn't vote for. That is one of the perils of democracy. In this case, I've gone from being unable to park within a mile of my house during the day, to being able to post on my own road. £36 well spent for me. It is only half a tank of petrol, after all.

I will give Sheffield Council lots of credit on this. I made several objections to their proposed scheme where I live. They responded to all of them and acted on most of them. It wasn't just a case of like it or lump it. The consultation was genuine.

Edited by SpikeMac