Parking outside my own house

Thanks to all the useful replys I am looking into it spoken to some of neighbour's and will probably send a letter round she if we can't help each other. a parking permit scheme doesn't seem to be so bad if not just to ease it a little. If u get a letter pplease reply let's be neighbourly and make a decision together. That's if council will help haha

But not everyone buys these visitor permits so when they have one of the essential services out for any problems it makes things very difficult for the services to carry out their work not exactly a fair system is it???? as they are not exempt from a parking ticket just for carrying out their job!!!!!

Tradesmen working at premises in a permit zone can use a trade permit or pay and display. Everyone, including tradespeople, have to park legally, it isn't rocket science.

Thanks to all the useful replys I am looking into it spoken to some of neighbour's and will probably send a letter round she if we can't help each other. a parking permit scheme doesn't seem to be so bad if not just to ease it a little. If u get a letter pplease reply let's be neighbourly and make a decision together. That's if council will help haha

You do realise that even with a permit you may not get to park outside your house or even on your road .

You do also realise that if you get a parking permit scheme, you'll never be able to get rid of it again in the future and so you'll be at the mercy of the enormous hikes in permit prices that will inevitably follow.

Yep, be careful what you wish for. Understand fully what's involved. I often found it interesting that the council never mention the schemes as being in any way for "residents".

As pointed out, you might be able to apply for a permit or two and hand over more cash to the council for nowt. No guarantee you'll get the number of permits you want and they don't mean you get a space to park. Just that if you can find a space, you're allowed to. And remember that the schemes reduce the number of spaces available when the council re-paint the road markings for them.

Many people seem to be in favour of them. But personally I couldn't understand the idea of paying money to make a situation worse (as it became on my road).

Do you think it's the same people doing the same journey every day, you don't think we have any visitors from out of town coming down the main northern route into the city. There's so much indecision on that stretch of road it's untrue.

I think that something like 90 to 95 percent of the cars in the rush hour queue will be ones who are not making that journey for the first time.

A very high proportion of them probably make that journey at least once a week if not every day.

There will be a few visitors I'm sure, but the rush hour traffic is not composed of visitors driving down our roads for the first time.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 08:52 ----------

I have the same problem with cars parking on our road and then leaving them to go to work. OK they have to park somewhere, but why do they leave them and cause problems for residents by leaving just inches back and front for us to have to struggle (at least me) to get the car out. I always park at the very end before the single yellow line so I dont get blocked in but lately the same car is parking behind me (on single yellow line) all day. If I caught the car reversing out of the small gap he leaves me would insurance be void as he is parked illegaly,

Your insurance wouldn't be void and it would be your insurance that would matter.

You do also realise that if you get a parking permit scheme, you'll never be able to get rid of it again in the future and so you'll be at the mercy of the enormous hikes in permit prices that will inevitably follow.

You mean like the overall increase of a whole pound for the first residents permit since the schemes started about 8 years ago?

I think their would be plentiful space if the commuters. Match parking. Slimming world had to walk or find somewhere else to park. I know it won't be right outside my house but close by would be good enough. U try carrying twins under one a toddler not to mention baby bags and shopping sometimes I have to get pram out if it's that far lol woe is the life of a mother

Never quite got people's desire to live in area's such as Hillsboro, WALKLEY, wood seats, just off abbeydale road etc. damp old over priced houses, often with no gardens, shared yards, no parking and always grid locked by traffic.

I realise finances often dictate, but there is other areas in sheffield which offer solutions to all of the above problems if people could over come their snobbery and narrow minded ness.

You mean like the overall increase of a whole pound for the first residents permit since the schemes started about 8 years ago?

Downright lie!! and you know it:rant:

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/grassroots/2012/02/sheffield-city-council-raises-cost-parking-permits.html

http://www.sheffieldlibdems.org.uk/2012/02/10/labour-betray-parking-permit-zone-residents-in-352000-hike/

http://www.sheffieldlibdems.org.uk/2013/08/27/sheffield-council-to-pocket-1200000-profit-from-parking-permit-rip-off/

Edited by mumkin
Clarity

What is so wrong with these schemes is the fact that if you don't want a parking permit scheme in on your road and it gets voted in to have one,Why should your so called neighbours have the right to make you pay for something you don't want also for anyone who visits your property can't get my head round the unfairness of that one.If there's one objection then it should not happen or make it fair and the people who want it pays extra to buy the permits and visitor vouchers for the ones that don't.

---------- Post added 19-12-2013 at 12:01 ----------

There's only one way prices go might only be a pound but if you don't want this scheme in its a pound more than you want to pay plus what about the meter charges???