Parking outside my own house

The people who made the proposal considered the potential negative impacts and discussed them in a report to Councillors. The Councillors accepted the proposal.

The traffic regulation orders which make the car park restrictions enforceable were advertised as are all others. No-one objected.

Consultation on an area-wide permit parking scheme is not the same thing as introducing charging on a car park. Parks & Countryside consulted those that they had to, like the charitable trust at Graves Park, but you would not normally consult local residents and businesses on something like that as they are not directly affected as such. You also have to ask yourself whether a public consultation would have been more than a tick box exercise and so would it really have been worth the cost, to tell the decision makers something they most likely already knew?

Maybe not "directly" affected, but clearly indirectly affected, but given no opportunity to comment until after the event. Frankly, I think that stinks.

Maybe not "directly" affected, but clearly indirectly affected, but given no opportunity to comment until after the event. Frankly, I think that stinks.

So, what would a consultation have told the decision makers that they didn't already know?

That park car park users don't want to pay? That local residents / businesses might have a concern about displaced parking?

Do you think they didn't realise that?

Councillors are having to take some very difficult decisions because of the huge cuts in funding from the Government. Those decisions include closing down leisure centres, libraries, making people redundant, cutting pay. None of these are going to be popular, but they have to be done, because there is not enough money to keep going like before.

Should they spend even more money they haven't got, just to find out what they already know? Or should they just get on doing what they have to do?

Take it you live on Carlton Road??? Its a nightmare for parking, people use it to park for tram.

I don't know which road the OP lives on but Carlton, Willis and Shepperson Roads are all being used regularly by park and ride tram riders using the Leppings Lane stop and the problem is getting worse for residents being able to park when they return home in the evening.

By the way planner1.......Penistone Road from the junction of Rutland Road to Shalesmoor, how about some proper overhead road signs over the 3 lanes to let drivers know which lane to get in instead of the pathetic arrows at the sides, this causes major congestion in the mornings and other times with people lane swapping and not knowing which lane to get in. In any other city this would be done but this town is more interested in directing you to the new markets and ladyboy shows :rant:

You think that all the people queuing in a morning, who commute probably every day, are swapping lanes because they don't know... I suspect they're all trying to queue jump.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 14:46 ----------

Did you elect a council to run the city, or to consult everyone before every decision is made?

So, what would a consultation have told the decision makers that they didn't already know?

That park car park users don't want to pay? That local residents / businesses might have a concern about displaced parking?

Do you think they didn't realise that?

Councillors are having to take some very difficult decisions because of the huge cuts in funding from the Government. Those decisions include closing down leisure centres, libraries, making people redundant, cutting pay. None of these are going to be popular, but they have to be done, because there is not enough money to keep going like before.

Should they spend even more money they haven't got, just to find out what they already know? Or should they just get on doing what they have to do?

I agree with you Planner, a full consultation on this wasn't necessary. It's obvious that the area was already under enormous pressure (parking-wise), every man and his dog knew, otherwise there wouldn't have been permit scheme consultations. So it would have been as plain as day that making a large off-street site pay-and-display would ratchet up the problems even more. Yes, difficult decisions do have to be made, but this should have been a no-brainer in such a problematic location.

You think that all the people queuing in a morning, who commute probably every day, are swapping lanes because they don't know... I suspect they're all trying to queue jump.

Do you think it's the same people doing the same journey every day, you don't think we have any visitors from out of town coming down the main northern route into the city. There's so much indecision on that stretch of road it's untrue.

The Hillsborough parking permit scheme for residents is the devils work! We've managed to stave it off on Leader Rd and Minto Rd thank goodness!!

I have the same problem with cars parking on our road and then leaving them to go to work. OK they have to park somewhere, but why do they leave them and cause problems for residents by leaving just inches back and front for us to have to struggle (at least me) to get the car out. I always park at the very end before the single yellow line so I dont get blocked in but lately the same car is parking behind me (on single yellow line) all day. If I caught the car reversing out of the small gap he leaves me would insurance be void as he is parked illegaly,

I appreciate it that having three little ones if they drop off in car its à task betting them aol in safe when you can t get parked near house. We used to live just off leppings lane and it was the Same for us. We then moved to central hillsborough with off road parking. I ve always thought its part of living in à central area the shops need the free parking to survive and presumably the shops,easy access to tram/buses, park,library are all what attracts people to the area i know at times its difficulté with the parking but don t be fooled into thinking permits are beneficial they ve increased more than 50% in 2 yrs the price to park has gone up and so have the permits plus u have the visitor permits. Plus your still not forced to get à spot!

lately the same car is parking behind me (on single yellow line) all day. If I caught the car reversing out of the small gap he leaves me would insurance be void as he is parked illegaly,

Call Parking Services on 2736255 and ask them to come around and give the inconsiderate driver a souvenir of their visit. They will be happy to oblige.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 23:01 ----------

Idon t be fooled into thinking permits are beneficial they ve increased more than 50% in 2 yrs the price to park has gone up and so have the permits plus u have the visitor permits. Plus your still not forced to get à spot!

Many people do find permits beneficial, as some have said on here.

The price of a first residents permit started out at £35 about eight years ago, it's only a pound more than that now. The price of an all day visitor permit is and always has been the same price as an hours parking on pay and display.

Call Parking Services on 2736255 and ask them to come around and give the inconsiderate driver a souvenir of their visit. They will be happy to oblige.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 23:01 ----------

Many people do find permits beneficial, as some have said on here.

The price of a first residents permit started out at £35 about eight years ago, it's only a pound more than that now. The price of an all day visitor permit is and always has been the same price as an hours parking on pay and display.

But not everyone buys these visitor permits so when they have one of the essential services out for any problems it makes things very difficult for the services to carry out their work not exactly a fair system is it???? as they are not exempt from a parking ticket just for carrying out their job!!!!!