Cycle commute advice

hi cyclone, to answer ...

the path at the end of watersmeet onto Limbrick lane is (or was a couple of years ago) all surfaced. But (and the naughty bit) its a footpath rather than road or bridleway. Its seldom used except for dog walkers and dogmess will be your problem. The footpath bit is for yards only behind the end houses, take it at walking pace and nobody should get upset.

yes the bit round the bottom of Walkey Lane/Hilsborough corner is a bit indirect, but that route is flat and safe. I think starting off from MB up to South Rd is too severe to make the commute acceptable or enjoyable, but thats just me

Ignore this post. ND is either a wind up merchant or an irresponsible idiot.

:confused:go on please explain why you believe im either of these things you arrogant fool

whats the point in th OP pulling his nuts of trying to ride up via walkley when i have given a very popular route the fact that there are few pedestrians makes it easier for the rider when traffic is heavy.

there is nothing irresponsible about riding on the pavement if you are aware of your surroundings and speed is to minimum

:confused:go on please explain why you believe im either of these things you arrogant fool

whats the point in th OP pulling his nuts of trying to ride up via walkley when i have given a very popular route the fact that there are few pedestrians makes it easier for the rider when traffic is heavy.

there is nothing irresponsible about riding on the pavement if you are aware of your surroundings and speed is to minimum

Riding on the pavement is not responsible as far as I'm concerned. It does nothing to foster respect between motorists and cyclists, as well as it being annoying if not dangerous for pedestrians. The number of pedestrians on the route is largely irrelevant, it doesn't make riding on the pavement any less wrong. The inconvenience of other routes does not excuse poor cycling practice.

My only advice is to not allow yourself to get too vexed by hills. The trick to climbing hills comfortably is too try to avoid giving in to your machismo and trying to beast your way up the hill.

Concentrate on keeping a steady cadence, and use the gears to keep your cadence at a steady rate rather than brute force. You'd be surprised how much easier this makes the hills compared to getting out of the saddle and trying to force yourself up the hill.

Great points.

I would only add that in my experience of cycling as a way to commute is some roads particularly at busy times are really too dangerous for cycling with traffic hitting you from all directions so be careful and pick your route very much with safety in mind.

Riding on the pavement is not responsible as far as I'm concerned. It does nothing to foster respect between motorists and cyclists, as well as it being annoying if not dangerous for pedestrians. The number of pedestrians on the route is largely irrelevant, it doesn't make riding on the pavement any less wrong. The inconvenience of other routes does not excuse poor cycling practice.

Perhaps you should read this.

Going on the pavement to avoid a dangerous junction...I can see the reasoning, particular if there is no alternative. Going on the pavement because you can't be bothered to tackle a hill, less excusable.

You realise that the home secretary has in the past advised cyclists to use the pavement if it's the safest thing to do?

I can certainly see the logic in using the pavement on Queens Road, from Asda up to Ponsfords.

I don't RECOMMEND it, I would say if you aren't confident and quick enough to use the road at that point in evening rush hour, take the Edmund Road route. It's rather poor for cyclists, I am assuming it was never originally built to handle anything like the level of traffic it carries now with four live, narrow lanes squeezed in.

But the Edmund Road route is a poor alternative too, having to zig zag out of the way up to Asline Road to get stuck at a "change once in a blue moon" light at the bottom, to access London Road/Chesterfield Road

(Don't even get me started on squeezing a cycle lane narrower than the width of a bicycle at the Ice Rink section of Queens Road - totally counterproductive)

So whilst I mentally tut at cyclists pedalling up the pavement at that point, I can understand why

A few weeks ago I started a thread about using a Moped for a relatively short journey and a number of posts suggested using a bicycle. I've decided to buy a new bike and give it a go probably in the spring (yes I know I'm a fair weather cyclist) I do already cycle at the coast on a regular basis and am reasonably fit but am finding it difficult to balance the need for relatively quiet roads and moderate hills, just thought other people may already commute between Malin Bridge and Ecclesall road and could offer advice. Thanks.

Imho if I could't feel confident in something so simple as balancing on a bike.I would stay the hell of away from the road. Roads for competent cyclists are dangerous.If you saw how my mrs drives round cyclists you would think TWICE.

Once again thanks for all contributions, needless to say I'm going to employ sensible caution during the early days. For information I have been regularly cycling at the coast but it is much quieter than here hence the caution. I will report back on progress.

Once again thanks for all contributions, needless to say I'm going to employ sensible caution during the early days. For information I have been regularly cycling at the coast but it is much quieter than here hence the caution. I will report back on progress.

cyclechat.net might be a good place to continue as you find your cycling legs in Sheffield......there's a few Sheffield cyclists on there

hi cyclone, to answer ...

the path at the end of watersmeet onto Limbrick lane is (or was a couple of years ago) all surfaced. But (and the naughty bit) its a footpath rather than road or bridleway. Its seldom used except for dog walkers and dogmess will be your problem. The footpath bit is for yards only behind the end houses, take it at walking pace and nobody should get upset.

yes the bit round the bottom of Walkey Lane/Hilsborough corner is a bit indirect, but that route is flat and safe. I think starting off from MB up to South Rd is too severe to make the commute acceptable or enjoyable, but thats just me

I agree, I wouldn't go up to South Road even when I lived on Walkley Lane, going down Langsett makes far more sense in terms of not getting massively sweaty.

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:03 ----------

And I'll say again, you realise that the home secretary has advised cyclists to ride on the pavement?

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:04 ----------

Imho if I could't feel confident in something so simple as balancing on a bike.I would stay the hell of away from the road. Roads for competent cyclists are dangerous.If you saw how my mrs drives round cyclists you would think TWICE.

Was that an attempt at a joke?

I agree, I wouldn't go up to South Road even when I lived on Walkley Lane, going down Langsett makes far more sense in terms of not getting massively sweaty.

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:03 ----------

And I'll say again, you realise that the home secretary has advised cyclists to ride on the pavement?

---------- Post added 26-01-2014 at 12:04 ----------

Was that an attempt at a joke?

No joke whatsoever_ more fool you if you attempted to laugh