Cycle commute advice

OK, so I'm picking the bike up this weekend and going to explore routes this weekend. As It's probably as quiet as it will get, was me luck !

I'd go via langsett rd then up st Philips it is a bit of a hill but it's a steady incline rather than the ball ache via walkley then down towards waitrose

Also the pavements are easier to ride on if the traffic is bad as pedestrians are rare apart from around the bus/tram stops

I'd go via langsett rd then up st Philips it is a bit of a hill but it's a steady incline rather than the ball ache via walkley then down towards waitrose

Also the pavements are easier to ride on if the traffic is bad as pedestrians are rare apart from around the bus/tram stops

Ignore this post. ND is either a wind up merchant or an irresponsible idiot.

A key point to remember is that the human eye responds to movement. If you're stationary you are much less visible.

So have flashing lights.

Have reflectors on your pedals

Have anklets of reflective material - these are all incredibly attention grabbing for motorists.

Also think about how visible you are side on.

There are also sorts of reflectors that go on spokes and all the way round wheel trims.

The other day I saw a cyclist with what looked like a version of flashing disco light rope round his arms.

I thought that worked very well for sideways and forwards visibility.

Go safe.

Rather than Infirmary Road I just used to head from Malin Bridge down to Penistone road and get on the car-free cycle path there. If you don't fancy the hill, you could potentially just follow the ring-road/cut through the city centre to get near Waitrose.

A few weeks ago I started a thread about using a Moped for a relatively short journey and a number of posts suggested using a bicycle. I've decided to buy a new bike and give it a go probably in the spring (yes I know I'm a fair weather cyclist) I do already cycle at the coast on a regular basis and am reasonably fit but am finding it difficult to balance the need for relatively quiet roads and moderate hills, just thought other people may already commute between Malin Bridge and Ecclesall road and could offer advice. Thanks.

I commute Wadsley to St Mary's Gate, so a large part of the same route.

I go through Hillsborough, which would be a bit of a detour for you I guess, I think follow Langsett Road, around the side of Tesco's Infirmary Road, cross Penistone Road at the petrol station (on Meadow Street), and then go up the hill on Upper Allen Street, cut through towards West Street (Regent Terrace onto Cavendish Street), then parallel with Hanover Way down to Moore Street.

At that point you could use the cycle paths to pass under the roundabout and come out on Ecclesall Road.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 08:34 ----------

Depends where on Eccy Road

If near the City Centre, you can take the cycle path opposite Summerfield Street, up to Brunswick Street, then through the university past Arts Tower

Your choice is then to head up to Barber Road / South Road then down Walkley Lane or Walkley Bank Road to Holme Lane. Or alternatively (and you may wish to use this route as the return journey) - down St Phillips Road then along Infirmary Road to Hillsborough Corner then up Holme Lane

I wouldn't go that way simply because it means a climb of about another 50 vertical metres for no reason but to come down again.

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 08:35 ----------

Thanks, that's one

I've looked at as I work at the waitrose end of ecclesall road, I've also considered Moore street, Devonshire green, beet street and on to St Philips Down to langsett. On balance looks a bit steeper to go over south road.

You're pretty close to me then, I'm opposite Waitrose on St Mary's Gate.

my idea, based on the fact that you are relatively inexperienced and not yet ready to mix it with fast moving traffic.

From malin bridge go up watersmeet road. don't turn right up Rivelin bank, but continue beyond the dead end onto the cut through onto Walkley Lane. This allows you to avoid the tram tracks on Holme Lane.

Cross hillsbror Corner onto Bradfield Road and then use the cycle path on Pensitone Road. Turn right on the filter lane after Wickes, up to Upperthorpe and make your way to the university - I'm not sure which is the easiest or quietest route, so experiment. You could try going through Ponderosa park. When you get to the university, turn in opposite the star and Garter, pass the Arts Tower, under the dual carriageway and walk down some steps next to the Students Union, onto Glossop road, which you cross and follow the bike route through Broomhall and onto Ecclesall Road. It comes out opposite Summerfield Street. Don't forget you have a traffic light which you control by pressing a button to cross Eccy road.

A few weeks ago I started a thread about using a Moped for a relatively short journey and a number of posts suggested using a bicycle. I've decided to buy a new bike and give it a go probably in the spring (yes I know I'm a fair weather cyclist) I do already cycle at the coast on a regular basis and am reasonably fit but am finding it difficult to balance the need for relatively quiet roads and moderate hills, just thought other people may already commute between Malin Bridge and Ecclesall road and could offer advice. Thanks.

My only advice is to not allow yourself to get too vexed by hills. The trick to climbing hills comfortably is too try to avoid giving in to your machismo and trying to beast your way up the hill.

Concentrate on keeping a steady cadence, and use the gears to keep your cadence at a steady rate rather than brute force. You'd be surprised how much easier this makes the hills compared to getting out of the saddle and trying to force yourself up the hill.

and don't be afraid to walk. It means you don't get there all sweaty and looking a state (and probably smelling come 3pm). Walking is good, lets you see the birds, smell the flowers etc.

On the other hand, if you want to train, have a shower etc, do it hard

Ignore this post. ND is either a wind up merchant or an irresponsible idiot.

You realise that the home secretary has in the past advised cyclists to use the pavement if it's the safest thing to do?

and I've seen police cyclists ride down the moor, not on emergency

my idea, based on the fact that you are relatively inexperienced and not yet ready to mix it with fast moving traffic.

From malin bridge go up watersmeet road. don't turn right up Rivelin bank, but continue beyond the dead end onto the cut through onto Walkley Lane.

Isn't that cut through a muddy little path?

This allows you to avoid the tram tracks on Holme Lane.

Cross hillsbror Corner onto Bradfield Road and then use the cycle path on Pensitone Road.

Isn't that a really odd route to take when starting from Malin Bridge? A bit of a zig zag perpendicular to the direction he actually needs to go?

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 09:35 ----------

and I've seen police cyclists ride down the moor, not on emergency

Is there not a cycle path down the moor?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/cycling/finding-your-way/sheffield-cycle-map.html

No, it appears not. I thought someone had said in the past that there was.