Cycle commute advice

A few weeks ago I started a thread about using a Moped for a relatively short journey and a number of posts suggested using a bicycle. I've decided to buy a new bike and give it a go probably in the spring (yes I know I'm a fair weather cyclist) I do already cycle at the coast on a regular basis and am reasonably fit but am finding it difficult to balance the need for relatively quiet roads and moderate hills, just thought other people may already commute between Malin Bridge and Ecclesall road and could offer advice. Thanks.

Depends where on Eccy Road

If near the City Centre, you can take the cycle path opposite Summerfield Street, up to Brunswick Street, then through the university past Arts Tower

Your choice is then to head up to Barber Road / South Road then down Walkley Lane or Walkley Bank Road to Holme Lane. Or alternatively (and you may wish to use this route as the return journey) - down St Phillips Road then along Infirmary Road to Hillsborough Corner then up Holme Lane

Or from Hunters Bar, then probably the Brocco Bank / Clarkehouse Road route up to the university

Thanks, that's one

I've looked at as I work at the waitrose end of ecclesall road, I've also considered Moore street, Devonshire green, beet street and on to St Philips Down to langsett. On balance looks a bit steeper to go over south road.

I can't give you route advice, only that you be safe.

A helmet is good, but please make yourself visible with high viz/ refecter clothes and a front and rear light too, please. :)

Stay safe and good luck with finding a great rout. :thumsup:

Thanks scozzie, good advice I already have a helmet and have allowed for lights etc... as you can probably guess reason for looking for quieter route is to minimize risk. Can find plenty of quiet routes which usually involve going over university and either walkley or crookes via multiple side roads not impossible but hard work.

My problem with Malin Bridge if you go the Infirmary road way is traffic although its a simpler route. I'd cut up and go into upperthorpe as i climbed the hill, behind the back of Tesco and its a reasonably windy climb up to the arts tower.

If I was cycling then id be more tempted to tackle the high ground early on get to walkley and to to the arts tower via south road. From the arts tower then you can just cut under via the uni and go down safe streets to waitrose.

Theres a planner here

http://sheffield.cyclestreets.net/journey/38960435/

South Road is OK, just a bit of a short sharp steep bit up from the top of the park up to and past the Dram Shop

The Brunswick Street section is quite gentle an ascent. Only issue is you have to dismount and carry your bike up the steps at the uni (there is a slippery steel ramp but it's fairly useless) so if you have panniers (or a trailer as I sometimes have) then it means tackling Brook Hill Roundabout. Which I don't actually mind but I have been cycling for quite some time - I'd not recommend it until your cyclecraft has developed with experience.

A nice quiet way and avoiding Brook Hill, is to go Moore Street, take the cycle path on the right of Hanover Way, then head right after the Kings Court building, onto Headford Street, then the cycle path left through Headford Gardens, straight up Victoria Street across Glossop Road and out onto Broad Lane. Over the toucan crossing and down Beet Street/Allen Street. Left at the bottom onto Meadow Street, over Netherthorpe Road to Tesco, through Tesco and along the Infirmary Road cycle path

Warning: The return route up Allen St/Beet St is STEEP! I'd rather do St Phillips than Beet Street any day

Thanks squiggs, that's roughly the route that Google came up with. As you say a few of these are ok for the journey from ecclesall road to malin bridge but much harder the other way. Getting the bike through cycle scheme in a few wees so will try it out over a few weekends to test the gradients !!

I don't mind traffic at all, so my preferred route home from Malin Bridge is Bradfield Road, along Penistone ROAD (not the abysmal and dangerous cycle path alongside), onto Shalesmoor > West Bar > Snig Hill > Castle St > Haymarket > Flat St / Pond St / Paternoster Row etc to Sydney Street

At which point you can pick up the cycle path to Eyre St roundabout and Eccy Road.

It's flatter and faster with the only significant incline being a quick stand on the pedals up Snig Hill, but what might be termed a "mixed" route with some busy traffic and some quiet streets.

If new to cycling I'd suggest giving it a go later when you've got your "wings"

The climb up St Phillips Road isn't as bad as it seems the first time - a week of cycling up it and you get used to it and stop needing the lowest gears

Thanks for the help. Will let you know how I get on.

If you are not used to riding in traffic, I'd recommend you get hold of copy of Cyclcraft. It has lots of stuff on riding safely in traffic. The library has some copies.

Squiggs route is nearly the same as mine. If you're ok with riding/filtering with traffic Penistone road is my preference too. I go down Arundel Gate instead of Pond street but it gets you to the same point on Eyre street. Good luck and don't feel like you need to ride in the gutter.