Netherthorpe House, Netherthorpe Road … previously Escafeld?

Hi …

On Netherthorpe Road, next to the Shell Garage is a one storey building called Netherthorpe House. The NHS' Department of Social Care currently use this building as part of their Art Therapy Programme.

For some reason I remember this building being called or used by a company called Escafeld … possibly as a Food Wholesalers?

Can anybody confirm this … or have any other memories of it … or has it always been part of the NHS

As always … thanks in anticipation

Hi …

On Netherthorpe Road, next to the Shell Garage is a one storey building called Netherthorpe House. The NHS' Department of Social Care currently use this building as part of their Art Therapy Programme.

For some reason I remember this building being called or used by a company called Escafeld … possibly as a Food Wholesalers?

Can anybody confirm this … or have any other memories of it … or has it always been part of the NHS

As always … thanks in anticipation

If it is the honey colour brick building recently given a face lift then I worked on the building when it was built around 1963.

The builder was Bell Brothers[ as far as I can remember ]and the bricklayer I worked with at the time was called Joe Garrity from Handsworth.

Joe was also a very popular pub pianist.

Hi … thanks for the reply but the building I am talking about isn't honey coloured.

Despite being built in the mid 1960s it is a modern looking glass and concrete type job.

Escafeld was the name of a wholesale cash & carry groceries firm that went bust in the 1990s. In the mid-1960s they were on a trading estate near Rotherham but they may have moved to Netherthorpe, or perhaps they had offices there. I'll have a look in 1960s/70s directories when I'm home at the weekend (Mrs hillsbro and I are at our 'holiday home' in Sheffield until then)..:)

Cheers hillsbro … safe journey home.

Do you mean the building on the corner of Morpeth Street/Netherthorpe Road?

Hi Tezden - I just looked in directories. The building's postal address could be on Netherthorpe Road, Morpeth Street or Craven Street. The 1965 directory makes no mention at all of Netherthorpe Road (so the dual carriageway must date from after 1964). The 1971 directory doesn't mention Escafeld in the area - the only businesses on the south side of Netherthorpe Road being Jack Clarke, motor engineers, Wheeler Crittall Berry, electrical contractors and W. Bishop, printers. Nothing features in this part of Morpeth Street and the directory doesn't mention Craven Street at all. The 1973 directory shows no changes except that Wheeler Crittall Berry are no longer listed.

The 1971 and 1973 directories show "Escafeld wholesale grocers (retailer owned voluntary group)" on Brinsworth Lane near Rotherham, which is where I remember them from a few years earlier.

Thanks Hillsbro …

Herbiegrass … yes, the building is on that corner … and as Hillsbro describes, Craven Street is behind it.