Heads Up !Burglaries in Hillsborough and Wisewood area

they are happening in s5 aswell try my house two times in same day .

Just wanted to let people know that another burglary has happened, on Hallowmoor Road, earlier this week, so please keep an eye out on yours and your neighbours houses. They are scum and don't care of the devastation and worry they leave behind.

And another in Garry Road. The police are door knocking in the area with advice about home security. It seems S6 is being targeted, and we are being asked to report anything suspicious.

The houses that are being burgled, do they lack alarms, or are they not acting as a deterrent any more?

People ignore them now. I blame Margaret Thatcher for this, in fact come to think of it I blame Margaret Thatcher for everything thats wrong with this country :D Everybody is out for No. 1

Some interesting figures about it here

http://straightstatistics.org/article/alarming-claim

Jokingly I said to my wifre the other day, "What did they do, market research on burglars?". Turns out that's exactly what they did!

Just to re-iterate; anti snap barrels cost about £50 and take ten minutes to fit.

I'm not trying to put lockfitters out of work here.....but there are videos on you tube showing how to change locks for homeowners to the more secure anti snap type. The main thing is to whip the lock out get all the measurements, refit it & go buy your updated more secure locks. Come back refit new locks & sleep a bit easier.

I guess some people like the reassurance of a professional doing the job....whatever all iI say is don't make yourself an easy target. Get them changed.

I speak with the voice of experience getting my house turned over a couple of years ago. They put my window through in the day stealing otherhalfs car & all of the electrical items they could get in the boot (telly /wI /DvD recorder / digital camera / laptops etc). House alarm was ringing & no one took a blind bit of notice. It totally changed my personality / politics & faith in fellow human beings....this is the bit that insurance doesn't pay out on!

All I can say is if the locks are what they are targeting get them changed!

Decent locks won't stop someone putting a window through though :-(

Decent neighbours, who aren't at work at the same time as you might help, but I suppose the ultimate is a monitored alarm...

All

There is another thread running with queries about the Eurolocks, here is the advice from SYP crime reduction officers in relation to them.....

Euro-cylinder Lock ‘snapping’ advice....

Euro-cylinder locks are present on the majority of UPVC doors South Yorkshire Police are aware that some offenders have developed a method of overcoming them to then gain access into a home.

We have worked with ACPO Secured by Design and trade authorities such as the British Standards Institute to positively address this matter. Other organisations such as the Door & Hardware Federation, the Master Locksmiths Association in developing solutions to this matter.

There are now two nationally recognised standards for euro-cylinder locks – TS 007 and the Sold Secure Diamond Standard. Locks achieving either of these two standards have been tested to a higher level and in the same way that an offender may test them in reality.

TS 007 is accompanied by a star rating system and cylinders can either achieve a 1 or 3 star rating, 3 stars providing the higher level of protection. Door handles are also tested to TS 007 standards and can achieve a 2 star rating. Therefore, fitting a 3 star cylinder and a 2 star handle enables the maximum level of security provided by the TS 007 testing process (5 stars).

The minimum level of security you should look to achieve is 3 stars, which could either be done by fitting a 3 star cylinder on its own or by fitting a 1 star cylinder in combination with a 2 star handle. A 3 star cylinder is the preferred option given it provides the maximum level of security for a lock under the TS 007 testing process.

Top 5 tips:

1. Look to upgrade your euro-cylinder locks if they have not achieved a 3 star rating under the TS 007 testing process or the Sold Secure Diamond Standard

2. Enhanced security handles achieving a 2 star rating under TS 007 should also be considered

3. Euro-cylinder locks can be changed by yourself, but you will need to measure them properly to ensure they are the right size for your door. They should not be fitted so that they are left protruding from the door unit or handle. There are many references that can be found online with a short demonstrations of how to remove, measure, and refit these types of locks.

4. If you are going to ask some one to upgrade your locks for you consider using the Master Locksmiths Association http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/, accredited locksmith or a target-hardening organisation such as Sheffield Stay Put Handy Persons Service http://www.yorkshirehousing.co.uk/home-improvement/sheffield. Obtain 3 quotes for the fitting of new locks to the standards referenced above and pick the one that best suits your circumstances

5. You may also be able to fit a safety T-Bar. The Safe T Bar is a security device designed specifically for UPVC doors. It has the same purpose as conventional door safety chains - allowing the occupant to see the person wishing to enter the home before fully opening the door. Like wise Sash Jammers offer quick and convenient additional security to windows and doors in your home. Non-handed and works on any door or window, open in or open out. They can be fitted on UPVC or timber and offer greater security enhancement to often-weak areas like French doors.

However, checks must be made with the supplier so that fitting additional locks do not invalidate any warranty on your door or windows.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Looks like their back - a friend disturbed someone on their back garden in early hours of this morning in the Wisewood area.

Looks like their back - a friend disturbed someone on their back garden in early hours of this morning in the Wisewood area.

Has this information been passed to the police?