10 hardest men in football

Norman Curtis his name on the team sheet was enough for Stan Mathews to be injured at the other side Jimmy Hagen and Keith Kettleborough could look after them selves and team mates another was Johnny Giles. Norman was not that tall but he built like a brick outhouse the ball or the man could go past him but never both and he would have an opposition player spark out at least once a season, in today's world/game he would be classed a thug along with a few more.

Ha, ha. Did he have a Capstan Full Strength at half-time?

Surprised nobody mentioned Gerry Gow.

Its not on this video but was it this match Paul ?

I believe so IIRC it was just after they equalised and one of their forwards did a typical forwards tackle (about 5 mins late and nearly decapitated Blade) ref just gave foul

You could see imprint of ball on his shorts and looked at 1 bit that he had mumps

Then needed a bra till trainer got 'them' back in their proper place:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 23:32 ----------

Good call G ...Got to see Trevor play and he was a dynamo in the midfield, hard as nails and could shoot the ball way over the Shoreham Kop :hihi::hihi:

I remember when he played for us the first time a player got the ball past him he would shake hands and put his arm around his shoulder

The second he would just give him the eye

If there was a third time the player would be flying about 4 foot in air

Good call G ...Got to see Trevor play and he was a dynamo in the midfield, hard as nails and could shoot the ball way over the Shoreham Kop :hihi::hihi:

Got a mate who was spitten image of Hockey,could grow a beard in 3 days like him,he's bald as a coot now.

Ken Mallender.

In a night match against Man U the Blades were attacking the Kop, Woody was cutting in from the right wing when their full back hit him with a horizontal flying tackle above knee height. It would have been a straight red any time in the last ten years, but not back then.

All hell broke loose, both sets of players were pushing & shoving on the edge of the box. Man U were wearing bright yellow shirts & blue shorts all of them were grouped together. I said to my mate 'watch Mallender'.

He walked up, no rush, walked around all our lads who were squaring up to theirs & right into the middle of the yellow shirts till he faced their full back. He then hit him with the best right hook I have ever seen. The full back went down out cold & it took at least 10 minutes to bring him around.

Mallender then stood there calmly in the middle of all the yellow shirts with his hands by his side & Ian Ure their big Jock center half yelling in his face.

Nobody tried to hit Ken & no one got sent off.

Met him at a party years later, lovely quiet bloke. Had those 'dead' eyes though.

I agree with Jaap Stam strong as an ox but fair.

Stuart Pearce was a horse! Gary Stevens from Everton was a strong fit lad too.

Roy Aitken from Celtic another but Stuart Pearce for me wins this contest.

I agree with Jaap Stam strong as an ox but fair.

Stuart Pearce was a horse! Gary Stevens from Everton was a strong fit lad too.

Roy Aitken from Celtic another but Stuart Pearce for me wins this contest.

You are obviously not a Blade :D Ask any Blade about Pearce & Carl Bradshaw, Pearce was terrified of him. :o

Back in the 80's we had Billy Whitehurst - now that was a tough player and I'll challenge any man who says he wasn't, that was a genuine tough player. Now, I could be biased but that was for me a tough player!

---------- Post added 14-12-2013 at 12:46 ----------

You've hit the nail on the head, case closed! :hihi:

Edited by shefflock
spelling

Gerry Gow ex Rotherham, Bristol City, Man City midfielder

Tommy Smith

Billy Bonds

Dave mackay is without doubt along with tommy smith up there with the hardest footballers to have gone on a football pitch:)