The Vantennas

I remember the Vantennas well at local dances and "Sheffield's Own Top Ten Show" at the City Hall - great group, loved their Cossack Dance to Hava Nagila, kids today wouldn't believe bands did that sort of stuff. The Sidewalk was a great hang out in the early 60's - lots of mainly younger kids went there after school and on Saturdays to see and be seen and drink iced coffee - very daring in those days! A lot of people who went to the Esquire hung out there at weekends, as did the "Boneyard" crew - anyone remember Hamlet? It became a meeting place after the demise of Coles Corner - "Sidewalk, half 2" was all that was needed to get a pre-Facebook gathering. Dave Berry came in often, much to the delight of the assembled throng. Don't remember the macho-men either - only Dennis and Clint, a couple of gay guys who worked in the men's shop next door who nobody could describe as macho - Dennis used to give a discount to anyone he fancied, the catch was he always wanted to measure you to check your size. The Sidewalk went out of vogue and back to the old ladies having their "elevenses" when everyone bought scooters and started going up to the Favorita which then became the in-place to go - about the same time the Mojo became popular and much of the same crowd.

The Vantennas were great. Used to play at the Hathersage Memorial Hall dances. As did Vance Arnold & The Avengers.

Remember seeing the Vantennas many times in the 60s with their duck-egg blue Fender Strats. A brill group.

Anyone know what happened to the 60's Sheffield band the Vantennas?

The Vantennas were formed by three City Grammar school boys in 1961. Gary Young (singer) adopted the name Vince Young, Les Coburn (lead guitar) and Geoff 'willow' Wilson (base). The name Vantennas came from a tv aerial we saw in a shop in Sheffield centre. Jim Smith, Les's friend and neighbour joined to play rhythm guitar. Les's father was our first manager and we used to practice in the cemetry that he managed. I left in in 1963 to concentrate on my A levels. I am now retired with a homes in Buckinghamshire and Sarasota.

I remember the Vantennas well at local dances and "Sheffield's Own Top Ten Show" at the City Hall - great group, loved their Cossack Dance to Hava Nagila, kids today wouldn't believe bands did that sort of stuff. The Sidewalk was a great hang out in the early 60's - lots of mainly younger kids went there after school and on Saturdays to see and be seen and drink iced coffee - very daring in those days! A lot of people who went to the Esquire hung out there at weekends, as did the "Boneyard" crew - anyone remember Hamlet? It became a meeting place after the demise of Coles Corner - "Sidewalk, half 2" was all that was needed to get a pre-Facebook gathering. Dave Berry came in often, much to the delight of the assembled throng. Don't remember the macho-men either - only Dennis and Clint, a couple of gay guys who worked in the men's shop next door who nobody could describe as macho - Dennis used to give a discount to anyone he fancied, the catch was he always wanted to measure you to check your size. The Sidewalk went out of vogue and back to the old ladies having their "elevenses" when everyone bought scooters and started going up to the Favorita which then became the in-place to go - about the same time the Mojo became popular and much of the same crowd.

I'd forgotten about Hamlet and although I can picture him I wouldn't have remembered his name.

I was about 15 or 16. The crowd in the boneyard, all tried to give the impression they were hippies living rough and then got the bus home at the end of the night.

What was his story Hamlet and where was he from.

My husband John Riley was the drummer with the Vantennas for a while before moving on to The Debonnaires then The Cruisers. We have lost touch with the other band members over the years but we do not think that any of them are still playing. Sandra.

Hi Sandra, I played Bass with John in 'The Hot Rod Gang' along with Dave Hopper and the late Steve Denton, we visited you way back with our newborn twins (you changed a nappy) who are now grown up.

The late 50s and early 60s were a great time for Sheffield groups. There were so many but I remember best the Ravens, (was it with Jimmy Crawford?), Tony Gale & his Stormers and of course Dave Berry's group. They all seemed to hang out at a small cafe down a lane off the High St. Cannot remember the name but it was also populated by macho (!) male Italian hairdressers from the nearby shop!

You stirred up a memory there Dunlop St. I remember going in that caff' with a girl who knew Dave Berry. She'd gone to the same school at Beighton, his real name was Grundy I think. I remember she introduced me, but in those days I was so cool I wouldn't even talk to myself.

Hi I,m a bass player in a band called arguments yard in Whitby and our lead guitarist is Jim smith formerly of the Vantennas and Jimmy Crawford 4, the Vantennas drummer Bob Vickers often comes to see us.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 21:32 ----------

You can keep up with Jim and the band looking up arguments yard on Facebook.

Edited by lml4293

Would love to hear from Jim Smith. I played recently with Les Coburn at a school re-union, maybe Jim (skiff) could join us next time.

Gary (Vince) Young

Will pass message on Gary.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 16:10 ----------

Garry Jim Smiths email:- [email protected] he would love to hear from you. Regards Eric.

Hi Sandra,

Jim Smith (Guitar)

Les Coburn (Guitar).

Dave Ward (sadly died recently)

Geoff ? (Bass Guitar)

Bob? (Drummer and singer).

Woz your fella with Dave Berry & Cruisers?

Vantennas Bass players were, Geoff Wilson,Replaced by Ronnie Coy, Replaced by Nick Farrelly.

The late 50s and early 60s were a great time for Sheffield groups. There were so many but I remember best the Ravens, (was it with Jimmy Crawford?), Tony Gale & his Stormers and of course Dave Berry's group. They all seemed to hang out at a small cafe down a lane off the High St. Cannot remember the name but it was also populated by macho (!) male Italian hairdressers from the nearby shop!

The Ravens were originally the Coasters, when they started recording, they had to change their name, because of the US group, much like the Shadows had to change from being the Drifters. Ron Lindsay then became Jimmy Crawford.