Messy shop on Chesterfield Road spilling onto pavement..

Does the council allow shops to spill over and display their wares on the pavement? I don't know what they allow but a new shop has opened (it doesn't have a name above it) opposite the Sloan Medical centre/Lidl area, it looks a right mess.

Wouldn't be so bad if it were like that, it's just junk, like a car boot sale.

Sometimes the frontage of a shop despite looking like part of the pavement is in fact land that belongs to the shop this is the case with quite a lot of shops on Abbeydale road so that's the first thing to consider. if it is pavement then the shop should not be using it to display their wares or even putting out an advertising board. The council can ask the shop to remove things like this but as usual they tend to wait for a member of the public to actually complain before doing anything.

Hmmmm, I can't say as any of the other shops on that stretch do this, it just looks unusual, and an eyesore, I get your point entirely about Abbeydale Road it's just this shop stands out...

Wouldn't be so bad if it were like that, it's just junk, like a car boot sale.

Fair enough. I'll be walking along that section of Chesterfield Road tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to see what you mean.

Fair enough. I'll be walking along that section of Chesterfield Road tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to see what you mean.

Let me know what you think....

If you do ring the council I think it'll come under 'highways enforcement' I'm trying to picture the shops and the street scene and think that they might be out of order utilising the pavement along there.

From the picture it looks ok to me. Just very enterprising. Having trained a a buyer for Tesco many years ago I absolutely love the independent shops now; more choice, more variety.

as no won from sheffield been too London space is space money is money

Let me know what you think....

Walking past this morning I could see that the goods outside the shop were chiefly secondhand baby buggies and children’s bikes, with a couple of cardboard boxes of crockery.

All meticulously retained within the part of the pavement belonging to the shops. There’s a clear demarcation line along there with different paving. I didn’t go in the shop in question but did so a couple of doors along and this info was confirmed.

Personally I don’t mind it at all as it doesn’t form an obstruction and it’s no different to what you see in many cities, particularly areas of London where utilising the pavement seems to be the norm rather than an exception.

If you can shut your ears to the traffic thundering along Chesterfield Road and block out the chill wind, try imagining you’re in a North African souk. [No, it doesn’t really work!]

Abbeydale Road looks a like a typical street in Instanbul these days … traders dragging their wares onto the pavement making the area look run down.