Girls!! Would you go out with a guy who didn't have a car?

Does this comment have any relevance to your assertion that all possessions are jointly owned in a marriage, and that being contradicted by Manlinose?

You only ever find out who owns what in a marriage when you cease to be married. I'm sure John Cleese had a lot of things that he thought were his until his wife's lawyer and the judge told him otherwise. Perhaps he should have come to you two for advice.

What advice did I give? Perhaps you've failed to actually read my post.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 13:11 ----------

Does this comment have any relevance other than your need to make a post every 5 minutes so folk know you are alive.

No, you're comment has no relevance. Like the previous one you made.

poppycock

tree huggers are the 1st to demand lifts especially it the start and end points of the journey are not accessable by one bus ride

plus they don't contribute towards the petrol

would you want to date a man like this?

i certainly wouldn't!

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 13:39 ----------

You only ever find out who owns what in a marriage when you cease to be married. I'm sure John Cleese had a lot of things that he thought were his until his wife's lawyer and the judge told him otherwise. Perhaps he should have come to you two for advice.

although i am not privy to john cleese's divorce proceedings, there is a distinct difference between what is agreed between the parties and what is not

we were not, as far as i am aware, discussing how the marital assets of mr & mrs halibut would be divided in the event of their divorce.

he did not state his wife owned a car, he said she could drive

anna glypta said that if his wife owned a car, it was a joint possession - a definitive statement

i said "just because you are married, it doesn't mean everything owned by either spouse is jointly owned"

it was not advice, merely a statement of fact

although i am not privy to john cleese's divorce proceedings, there is a distinct difference between what is agreed between the parties and what is not

we were not, as far as i am aware, discussing how the marital assets of mr & mrs halibut would be divided in the event of their divorce.

he did not state his wife owned a car, he said she could drive

anna glypta said that if his wife owned a car, it was a joint possession - a definitive statement

i said "just because you are married, it doesn't mean everything owned by either spouse is jointly owned"

it was not advice, merely a statement of fact

Perhaps you should have given such priceless advice to John Cleese who has just been taken for £12million and has had to come out of retirement to be able to live.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396825/John-Cleese-sells-art-memories-pay-divorce-wife.html

Perhaps you should have let Mr Halibut speak for himself on the car ownership issue as it seems a bit odd to mention his ability to get around because his wife drove if in fact she didn't have access to a car with which to ferry him around..

Edited by Dingus

Perhaps you should have given such priceless advice to John Cleese who has just been taken for £12million and has had to come out of retirement to be able to live.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396825/John-Cleese-sells-art-memories-pay-divorce-wife.html

Perhaps you should have let Mr Halibut speak for himself on the car ownership issue as it seems a bit odd to mention his ability to get around because his wife drove if in fact she didn't have access to a car with which to ferry him around..

perhaps you should read my posts again before commenting on things i didn't say

my initial response was to anna glypta's post, not halibut's and i did not comment on whether or not mrs halibut owned a car - firstly because it is irrelevant and secondly because it is not what my post addressed

it was not, directly, anything to do with the car owning status of mr or mrs halibut, merely to do with the status of solely owned assets by a spouse in a marriage

it wasn't advice and it wasn't even anything to do with divorce until you decided to make it so

enough bickering - have a nice day

No, I don't. (own a car)

Don't want one, don't need one. My wife drives and I can also use buses, trains and taxis.

Doesn't that rather justify what the OP was saying. If you drive yourself and go out with a guy who can't drive you wind up stuck with a halibut and get stuck with ferrying him around for the rest of your life.

Doesn't that rather justify what the OP was saying. If you drive yourself and go out with a guy who can't drive you wind up stuck with a halibut and get stuck with ferrying him around for the rest of your life.

Why do you assume someone who could afford a car but had been perfectly happy having chosen not to get one would suddenly, on getting a partner who did have one, expect to be ferried around by them? Even some people who have always had cars frequently choose to not use them - look at the number of people with cars who walk/cycle/catch the bus to work.

Why do you assume someone who could afford a car but had been perfectly happy having chosen not to get one would suddenly, on getting a partner who did have one, expect to be ferried around by them? Even some people who have always had cars frequently choose to not use them - look at the number of people with cars who walk/cycle/catch the bus to work.

Wow that's a tough one.

I think it goes something like this. You get invited out for a meal at the Barrel at Bretton. Your wife has a car and thinks I'll go along in that on my own and my husband who doesn't drive can take 3 buses until he reaches Grindleford and then hike the last 5 miles across the moors.

I do believe the idea of owning a car is so you can go places in it not leave it parked outside to prevent bird muck from landing on the drive. The fact that only one partner can drive certainly sorts out those debates about whose turn it is to drive.

Wow that's a tough one.

I think it goes something like this. You get invited out for a meal at the Barrel at Bretton. Your wife has a car and thinks I'll go along in that on my own and my husband who doesn't drive can take 3 buses until he reaches Grindleford and then hike the last 5 miles across the moors.

I do believe the idea of owning a car is so you can go places in it not leave it parked outside to prevent bird muck from landing on the drive. The fact that only one partner can drive certainly sorts out those debates about whose turn it is to drive.

Don't be silly, you can get a train to Grindleford. Why would he want to take 3 buses? :huh:

I drive, own a car and often leave it at home. Why drive individually when you can share the journey (partner has a car too).

Wow that's a tough one.

but if the wife is driving there anyway, why wouldn't she take the husband with her

alternatively the husband might think - stuff that palaver, there's plenty of places i can go for a meal and a drink that i can get to much more easily

Not owning a car doesn't mean you can't drive though...

After a quick look at her Facebook, all I've got to say is forget this guy who doesn't have a car, I've got one! It's a Special Edition too!