Tree Surgeon recommendations

Anyone know of a decent tree surgeon who is actually in need of work at the moment?

We need some large conifers topping. We have tried phoning several to get quotes. Hardly any actually answer the phone, irrespective of what time or day we try, so we leave answer phone messages and none ever get back to us. We spoke to one who agreed to come and give us a quote and they didn't turn up.

Starting to think if they are so reluctant to engage with potential new customers, it must be a very lucrative business to be in!

What area are you in ?

We have an old oak tree in the back garden which unfortunately has to go as it is too close to our and the neighbours house and have got planning permission for the same. Can any one recommend a reasonably priced tree surgeon for the job?

Also does any one know if you can use the oak wood in any way or sell it to a saw mill or something as it is a fine tree and seems a shame to see it just turn into mulch.

I would've thought that a reputable tree surgeon would know what to do with an oak tree, and surprised if you didn't get something for it. Having said that, I presume it's an English oak tree. Most people's idea of oak nowadays is of much inferior American oak (red or white), as in when they see 'solid oak' furniture and kitchens for sale ... shopfittings too.

I used to make bespoke furniture (cabinetmaker) and only used the very best, typically using 'quarter sawn' timber with the medullary rays for the bits you could see (drawer fronts, cabinet doors and table tops) ... something you hardly get in American. People pay good money for English oak ... it's what heirlooms are made out of. :)

I would've thought that a reputable tree surgeon would know what to do with an oak tree, and surprised if you didn't get something for it. Having said that, I presume it's an English oak tree. Most people's idea of oak nowadays is of much inferior American oak (red or white), as in when they see 'solid oak' furniture and kitchens for sale ... shopfittings too.

I used to make bespoke furniture (cabinetmaker) and only used the very best, typically using 'quarter sawn' timber with the medullary rays for the bits you could see (drawer fronts, cabinet doors and table tops) ... something you hardly get in American. People pay good money for English oak ... it's what heirlooms are made out of. :)

I would have thought by now it has long gone R.I.P tree.:rolleyes:

I would have thought by now it has long gone R.I.P tree.:rolleyes:

I don't understand that :huh:

It was on the first page of Sheffield discussions. I didn't bother looking at the date as I presumed it was current (as you would). :suspect:

It was on the first page of Sheffield discussions. I didn't bother looking at the date as I presumed it was current (as you would). :suspect:

I did bother, and saw it was an old thread.The tree's probably long gone .

I read this this morning and saw the date of the OP, the post which restarted the thread today has disappeared.:confused:

That's interesting Alcoblog as I've noticed rather a lot of old threads resurfacing lately and wondered why. Got caught out by one myself but wasn't the first re-poster as you were.

Getting a bit like the Daily Mail on here, repeating old threads to make up space .Time's must be hard.

sorry to tell you but if the tree is healthy you can't cut it down, yu can only top the crown but you can't chop tree's down it's illegal unless they present a danger to the public or building, they may well take off a branch or 2 you can't bring it down because you fancy it same applies if it's on council land like the pavement or parks leave well alone that tree might have been there a hundred may be more may be less, there are enough trees being cut down in the world think of all the wild life that may se it like squirrels, birds, insects

have you heard the song wood man wood man spare that tree leave it

sorry to tell you but if the tree is healthy you can't cut it down, yu can only top the crown but you can't chop tree's down it's illegal unless they present a danger to the public or building, they may well take off a branch or 2 you can't bring it down because you fancy it same applies if it's on council land like the pavement or parks leave well alone that tree might have been there a hundred may be more may be less, there are enough trees being cut down in the world think of all the wild life that may se it like squirrels, birds, insects

have you heard the song wood man wood man spare that tree leave it

... aaaannndddd breeeeeaaattthhheee.