Tree Surgeon recommendations

When a tree had to come down across the road from me, I had a word with the tree surgeon, and I managed to salvage three large pieces to make an seating feature in my garden. I also managed to get enough offcuts to make a stepping stone type path from some pieces of the stump, it gave my garden a more natural feel rather than paving flags or concrete etc.

20140701_154808_Android.jpg

20140707_133132_Android.jpg

Thanks for that but I did manage to find someone about 6 weeks ago. He was the cheapest quote by far. I had quotes of £250 and £180. He came and did it for £120, he removed all the tree and cleaned everything up immaculately. Would recommend him to anyone BRILLIANT !!!!! :)

Please could you tell me his contact number? I might have a job for him soon. Many thanks!

Does anyone know a good cheap tree surgeon in the Sheffield area please :)

I hope you find a good one though I do find it ironic that your post is above someone trying to protect some trees :hihi:

Please could you tell me his contact number? I might have a job for him soon. Many thanks!

hi Aimtosky,

here is the name and number of the tree surgeon

L DAWES GARDEN SERVICES

TELE:-01142696762

MOBILE :-07958615197

There isn't enough skilled people in the industree.

I often wondered why many more dont branch out.

hi Aimtosky,

here is the name and number of the tree surgeon

L DAWES GARDEN SERVICES

TELE:-01142696762

MOBILE :-07958615197

Thanks a lot for your quick response!

I used to make bespoke furniture (cabinetmaker) and only used the very best, typically using 'quarter sawn' timber with the medullary rays for the bits you could see :)

There are two kinds of ray:

a) “medullary rays”, formed in primary tissues, located close to the apex of each root and shoot, behind a primary apical meristem (at buds and root tips);

b) “rays”, formed in secondary tissues, produced by a secondary (lateral) meristem - the vascular cambium (beneath the green bit you expose when you tear the bark of a shoot with your thumbnail).

"Rays" are the what the furniture maker admires; not medullary rays, as those are ONLY found in the tissues formed during the most recent or current growing period.

There are two kinds of ray:

a) “medullary rays”, formed in primary tissues, located close to the apex of each root and shoot, behind a primary apical meristem (at buds and root tips);

b) “rays”, formed in secondary tissues, produced by a secondary (lateral) meristem - the vascular cambium (beneath the green bit you expose when you tear the bark of a shoot with your thumbnail).

"Rays" are the what the furniture maker admires; not medullary rays, as those are ONLY found in the tissues formed during the most recent or current growing period.

Thank you for your prompt (six month) response ... quick Google ...

In addition to the grain, quartersawn wood (particularly oak) will also often display a pattern of medullary rays, seen as subtle wavy ribbon-like patterns across the straight grain.[4] Medullary rays grow in a radial fashion in the living tree, so while flat-sawing would cut across the rays, quarter-sawing puts them on the face of the board. This ray pattern has made quartersawn wood especially desirable for furniture and decorative panelling. :)

Sam-Davison precision tree care 0114 249 8715 or 07793 064684

Sam removed a large cherry tree for us and was very reasonable. He chopped the wood for the stove and left some big pieces for a friend who wood turns- give him a call

Thank you for your prompt (six month) response ... quick Google ...

In addition to the grain, quartersawn wood (particularly oak) will also often display a pattern of medullary rays, seen as subtle wavy ribbon-like patterns across the straight grain.[4] Medullary rays grow in a radial fashion in the living tree, so while flat-sawing would cut across the rays, quarter-sawing puts them on the face of the board. This ray pattern has made quartersawn wood especially desirable for furniture and decorative panelling. :)

Sorry, I should have provided a reference:

Lev-Yadun, S. & Aloni, R., (1995) Differentiation of the ray system in woody plants. The Botanical Review, 61, p.45–84.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?cluster=3130406278036464933&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

My comment was intended to correct any misinterpretation. Really, readers should not put their trust in non-academic search engines or Wikipedia etc. For students who wish to learn the truth, go in search of the original academic source material.

Just in case you are interested, there are a number of anatomical features that you can pick out with the naked eye when viewing oak timber, such as the parallel lines seen on planks - the latewood fibres - or the minute "holes" in the end of the plank - the early wood vessels that transport nutrient solution. ;)

Sorry, I should have provided a reference:

Lev-Yadun, S. & Aloni, R., (1995) Differentiation of the ray system in woody plants. The Botanical Review, 61, p.45–84.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?cluster=3130406278036464933&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

My comment was intended to correct any misinterpretation. Really, readers should not put their trust in non-academic search engines or Wikipedia etc. For students who wish to learn the truth, go in search of the original academic source material.

Just in case you are interested, there are a number of anatomical features that you can pick out with the naked eye when viewing oak timber, such as the parallel lines seen on planks - the latewood fibres - or the minute "holes" in the end of the plank - the early wood vessels that transport nutrient solution. ;)

You can find medullary rays in kidneys too ... in cabinetmaking, the figuring (especially in quarter sawn oak) is also known as medullary rays. I'm sure you know this and I take your point, however, anything written by messrs. Lev-Yadun and Aloni is hardly going to make anyone change their viewpoint in the world of furniture making ... books will not be re-written. :)

Too many crappy employers driving the skilled staff into something else I think.

I've worked for several firms and they have nearly all taken the pi**.

I agree. ;)

A few of points of advice I'd give to people looking for a climbing arborist are:

1) don't trust them just because they claim to work in accordance with a British Standard - many haven't even seen it, let alone realise that it was revised in 2010 (BS 3998.);

2) don't trust any business that does not deal solely with trees - no business offering landscaping, garden services, property maintenance etc (such businesses make more money from general landscaping work and more often than not do not make the necessary investments in *arboricultural* education, training, tools, equipment and health and safety);

3) all people operating a chainsaw during the course of business NEED to have a National Certificate of Competence in Chain Saw operations (this is usually a certificate issued by the National Proficiency Tests Council "NPTC"), endorsed with the relevant units for the tasks they are doing, such as felling, cross-cutting, or climbing, BY LAW!;

4) if you can, view other work that they have done. If the trees look like they have been "hacked" or randomly lopped, with cuts perpendicular to the axis of the limbs, or if the crown has an "unnatural" appearance, then the likelihood is that the work is not in accordance with the British Standard and you have found a cowboy, or at least someone who lacks the necessary education, knowledge and training.

5) To reduce the likelihood of ending up with a cowboy, use a contractor approved by the Arboricultural Association (this is as close as you can get to a guarantee that the contractor will do a good job, but, even so, there is no guarantee);

6) Ideally, those doing the work would at least have a National Diploma qualification in Arboriculture. However, whether they work in accordance with current *arboricultural* best practice guidance and recommendations is the best measure of suitability and competence.

You will find more information on the Stocksbridge Community Forum (search for "Oak" or "tree", if this link doesn't open the right page):

https://www.stocksbridgecommunity.org/news/contribute-website

For more info, visit the Arboricultural Association website:

http://www.trees.org.uk/

To get an idea of what British Standards look like, and their content, you could take a look at the draft standards that are occasionally made available for public comment, such as BS 3998:2010 Tree work. Recommendations:

http://www.trees.org.uk/c.793499/aa/documents/BS3998DPC1.8.08.pdf

You can purchase the approved version of BS 3998:2010 (and other standards) at:

http://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030089960

Edited by Native lad