Screaming Sirens in Aughton/Aston/Swallownest

I lived in Swallownest for years and it was a nuisance

always seemed to be around teatime when they would be blasting through

suppose makes sense, more traffic on the road at that time so more accidents...

I thought they weren't allowed to use sirens after a certain time, not sure what time though

Wait until you need an ambulance. In the meantime, go and petition your MP for a relief road.

We have a relief road.. Its called the A57 and links J31 of the M1 with the roundabout at the bottom of Fence hill. It was opened in 1985 (iirc) Before that, the road that goes from the Fire station right through to the roundabout at Fence, Now the B6067 was the old A57.

I grew up on that road before the bypass was built and can say with certainty, that and the surrounding roads of the village are still way quieter than they were before the bypass was built

The OP has not considered really, layout of the route from Rotherham through to Beighton, the main route for Ambulances from Rotherham Hospital. There are various junctions along the route which are particularly nasty. Treeton/Ulley X roads, The Junction by the Robin hood, the side roads near the Black bull and hill crests with junctions to the estates by the Top shop, The Schools and finally the junction by Rotherham road/Main street. Most of which are mostly 'blind' to a vehicle travelling along the main road at speed. It is a nuisance but has been like that for years and is unlikely to change anytime soon.

I thought they weren't allowed to use sirens after a certain time, not sure what On me way home ducktime though

There's nothing in law dictating times sirens can't be used.

A mate of mine lives at Aughton near maxfields opposite the little shop he had a heart attack a few years ago . I bet he's glad they had the sirens on and go it to him on time

Apart from our village rapidly developing into a ratrun for people avoiding the Parkway when going from Sheffield to Rotherham (don't start me on THAT, but it's bleedin' dangerous the traffic levels, what with cars parked both sides, school, etc...!)

No, what this is about is why the Police and Ambulance people seem determined to deafen us all. Every couple of minutes one of them dashes through the village, sirens blaring. They start them about 200 yards North of my place, and turn them off about 300 yards South of us - the <REMOVED>!

Occasionally, one will come through on blue lights only, but 95% of them keep the sirens on continuously - even at 8am on a Sunday morning, or 9pm - when the streets are empty!

I KNOW this is probably arse-covering, in that they want every excuse if they knock over some idiot crossing the road with his or her iPod firmly jammed in ears, and One Direction on at full bore, but I notice, as I drive round Sheffield that emergency vehicles in other parts don't seem to use sirens anywhere near as often - they are content with lights.

Anyone have any idea why we seem to be singled out for this? And has anyone any experience of getting it changed?

Rod

If you have ever been with a critically ill person and have had to ring 999 for an ambulance - the sound of the siren of an approaching ambulance is the most beautiful sound in the world.

If there is no emergency then warning lights and siren should be off and the vehicle should be driven normally. If it is an emergency then both should be on together.