Woodseats Subway

I noticed there was a picture of Miss Piggy from the Muppet Show on the window poster. That is a very strange way to advertise bacon.

Takeaway food outlets, Pawnbrokers, Nail Boutiques, Charity Shops, Wedding Dress Hire Shops, Cash For Gold, ... what happened to the old Woodseats that had shops that people wanted?

Its certainly gone downmarket

Ha ha, that description fits Firth Park, except we have Jack Fultons instead of Farm Foods :D

Talking about downmarket, I was on Woodseats Road last week. The terraced houses near the junction with Chesterfield road reminded of Popple Street in Page Hall. I expected some overweight Eastern Europeans to come wobbling out of the passageways :o

everyone seems to be slating subway saying that how can a big chain like subway come in, and how it will make small businesses go bankrupt. i am assuming that these people are unaware that all subways are independently owned, thus making them small businesses owned by local people!!!

^^ This ^^

Its not like Subways corporate offices decided that they needed to corner the sandwich market in South Sheffield..

Like most of the KFCs, in the UK, they are franchises and run by local people...

If you dont want those places being there, then dont shop in them. Go out of your way to pop into an unbranded shop. People clearly like and enjoy subway enough to see the need to open one in the area.

Ha ha, that description fits Firth Park, except we have Jack Fultons instead of Farm Foods :D

Talking about downmarket, I was on Woodseats Road last week. The terraced houses near the junction with Chesterfield road reminded of Popple Street in Page Hall. I expected some overweight Eastern Europeans to come wobbling out of the passageways :o

You find terraced houses like that all over Sheffield, not just Woodseats & Page Hall. Crookes/Walkley/hillsborough for example. In fact if you look at the streets behind Ecclesall Rd (like Neill Rd or Bruce Rd) you'll find the same. The Eastern European people only seem to have settled in one area though, the downmarket one ;)

I have to admit, i always venture down the hill to Abbeydale Rd rather than up it to Chesterfield Rd & Woodseats when i fancy some leisurely shopping.

Edited by watchcoll

^^ This ^^

Its not like Subways corporate offices decided that they needed to corner the sandwich market in South Sheffield..

Like most of the KFCs, in the UK, they are franchises and run by local people...

If you dont want those places being there, then dont shop in them. Go out of your way to pop into an unbranded shop. People clearly like and enjoy subway enough to see the need to open one in the area.

In addition, the store that was there before, Threshers, was a chain store but people used it. There were other locally owned off licenses which tried but failed to compete with Thresher and Tesco. Sadly Threshers themselves also failed :(

The unit has been empty for a few years and so it's good to hear someone has taken it on.

We have the same debate in my town with people getting very upset that Cafe Nero are moving into an empty shop. "We have enough chain coffee shops, they won't attract visitors to the town" people say, and "why can't we have a nice family run deli instead?" But empty run down shops are no good to anyone and I assume the local businesses that people wish to see could have applied to rent the unit while it's been empty for about the last three years if they thought there was money to be made.

Subway is a very clever brand.

£5-£6 for a sandwich. :loopy:

You find terraced houses like that all over Sheffield, not just Woodseats & Page Hall. Crookes/Walkley/hillsborough for example. In fact if you look at the streets behind Ecclesall Rd (like Neill Rd or Bruce Rd) you'll find the same. The Eastern European people only seem to have settled in one area though, the downmarket one ;)

I have to admit, i always venture down the hill to Abbeydale Rd rather than up it to Chesterfield Rd & Woodseats when i fancy some leisurely shopping.

My bold=

Page hall is not down market, some of the residents maybe but the area has its good points.