Jobs that are automation proof?

Just out of interest, what jobs do people think are 'automation proof'?

Bearing in mind that things like automatic, driverless cars are just around the corner, complex operations can be performed by machines following computer programs, robotics can be applied to almost every factory system, we have automatic tills in supermarkets (and home delivery) etc. Surveillance cameras with face recognition capable of watching everything.

And more and more supercomputers coming on line that can innovate and design new and more complex supercomputer systems.

What job will be safe 50 years from now, and what will the consequences be?

Cleaning, we'll always make a bloody mess

Child care, probably.

Already got those little robot hoovers, instant ready meals and microwaves, dishwashers, etc.

I'd appreciate all the help I could get in this area.

Purpose made, you name it.

Already got those little robot hoovers, instant ready meals and microwaves, dishwashers, etc.

I'd appreciate all the help I could get in this area.

Yes but there's more to this world than your home.

Bearing in mind that things like automatic, driverless cars are just around the corner, complex operations can be performed by machines following computer programs, robotics can be applied to almost every factory system, we have automatic tills in supermarkets (and home delivery) etc. Surveillance cameras with face recognition capable of watching everything.

And more and more supercomputers coming on line that can innovate and design new and more complex supercomputer systems.

Do you have an example of a computer that can design another computer?

Design jobs are probably one of the safer things, designing anything requires innovation and automated systems don't innovate.

Others might include any kind of analysis (ie systems, business, computer, process, etc...)

Building (although some parts of it can be automated).

Most legal professionals are probably quite safe from automation.

People that deal with the public on more than a cursory basis...

I'm sure there are many more.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 14:18 ----------

Robot vacuum cleaners already exist...

Anything that can be made abroad, anything that can be done online or by phone will have been priced out of the reach of British workers. Already driverless trains are being planned on the railways. I can even see most of our public sector like healthcare dentistry and prison sentences being done abroad. The UK will become a land of layabouts just like the unions have been planning for the last 60 years.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 14:22 ----------

Design jobs are probably one of the safer things, designing anything requires innovation and automated systems don't innovate.

I would have thought design was one of the least safe jobs. What can you design in the UK that can't be done by a far better educated workforce in Korea or Shanghai?

Robot vacuum cleaners already exist...

I'm sure they do but they haven't yet made one that can cope with all aspects of cleaning in all environments.

Instead of looking at the negatives, why not celebrate the fact that most of us will be liberated from doing dull menial jobs and have a lot more leisure time to enjoy?

I've always thought it strange that most people have been conditioned into spending 5 days a week doing something they hate just because society tells us that having a job is the most important thing in life.

Instead of looking at the negatives, why not celebrate the fact that most of us will be liberated from doing dull menial jobs and have a lot more leisure time to enjoy?

I've always thought it strange that most people have been conditioned into spending 5 days a week doing something they hate just because society tells us that having a job is the most important thing in life.

It does rather help with paying the bills though.