Strike action Living Wage

What is wrong with performance related pay. If they are good at the job then that shouldnt be an issue should it.

What a wally. All right then, lets see how long you would last with performance related pay. Targets set by managers that have never actually done the work you do, and have no idea how tough that role is.

Seriously, some people on here are morons.

If employers don't pay a living wage, then it gets left to the taxpayer to make up the shortfall. So good employers end up subsidising bad ones.

That can't be right.

In this case, your 'good employer' is a public sector organisation so the taxpayer is taking the hit anyway. My example was if everyone was paid a living wage, inflation would rocket, thus increasing the 'living wage' exponentially over time to keep up with inflation. Who pays for that?

In this case, your 'good employer' is a public sector organisation so the taxpayer is taking the hit anyway. My example was if everyone was paid a living wage, inflation would rocket, thus increasing the 'living wage' exponentially over time to keep up with inflation. Who pays for that?

nonsense you're using the same arguments that were trotted out by opponents of the minimum wage

did inflation rocket then?

So what you're saying is that we need to keep thousands of people at pay levels below what is needed to make ends meet and pay for food, housing etc, in order to keep inflation low?

Just so we're clear.

Universities, by the way, are not quite public sector.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:50 ----------

Still cant see the point of holding the universitys to ransome. Theres not enough money as it is. Students will soon be complaining when their fees go up to pay for this living wage.

Hallam has a £14million surplus this year, after years of surpluses. In what sense is there "not enough money"?

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:54 ----------

Just looked on unison website and looks like we are scabs :hihi: EIS are also included.

There are two separate but linked disputes going on.

In higher education three out of the four main unions are in dispute on this year's pay cut. That's UNISON, Unite and UCU, representing everyone from professors to cleaners.

In further education teaching staff are in dispute on their pay deal. The other unions are not I think in dispute there, for whatever reason.

---------- Post added 05-12-2013 at 07:58 ----------

Nonsense. If you don't pay people enough to live on then a) you have to give them benefits and b) they can't afford to buy things. Which means that business suffers. If business suffers, then they can't make enough money to pay their staff, who suffer pay cuts or job losses, and you end up in a deflationary spiral.

In higher education there are 4000 people who are paid below the living wage. It would not break the bank to pay them a proper wage. Nor would it send inflation up to 40%!

:hihi::hihi: Are you talking about Sheffield University? I don't think so.

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 10:04 ----------

So you work on the principle that while ever there is someone who has a tougher deal than you, then you should just put up or shut up? :loopy:

No i think when you go into a profession knowing full well the salary and prospects, then you should put up or shut up or alternatively find another profession if you dont like the terms.

instead of creating problems for students missing lectures (which incidentally they have borrowed to pay for) whilst the unionista!!! sit there and try scoring points :roll::roll:

So what you're saying is that we need to keep thousands of people at pay levels below what is needed to make ends meet and pay for food, housing etc, in order to keep inflation low?

No; I'm actually a fan of increasing the minimum wage to the point where benefits aren't required for people to actually pay for things when they have a job. Which is something the Living Wage still doesn't address.

If the Living Wage was a £10+ ph figure and anyone who was in full time work on Living Wage was no longer entitled to anything, then you'd have a better argument for it in my opinion. As it is now however, it doesn't achieve anything but pay people who are on a low wage a slightly higher but still low wage.

Oh, and let's not forget that introducing a higher minimum payscale in an organisation to account for the living wage being introduced will also cause knock on effects higher up the payscale. In our scenario at the University, I'm sure those people currently on ~£14k pa (admin staff etc) will want an increase in pay so they are paid more than the person who empties their bin.

No i think when you go into a profession knowing full well the salary and prospects, then you should put up or shut up or alternatively find another profession if you dont like the terms.

how would someone who joined 10 years ago know that after 6 years real term pay cuts would be implemented every year?

In the end you can't force people to work, so Universities can either pay up or suffer more and more disruption.

how would someone who joined 10 years ago know that after 6 years real term pay cuts would be implemented every year?

In the end you can't force people to work, so Universities can either pay up or suffer more and more disruption.

Is there something we haven't been told publicly?? A pay cut ??? From your original contract ????? Or is it just you haven't had an unaffordable pay rise ???:suspect: I am guessing there will be

Plenty of graduates ready to take any places!!

Is there something we haven't been told publicly?? A pay cut ??? From your original contract ?????

Well, the problem is you did not read my post properly because I mentioned real term pay cuts, which is something different to what you are going on about.

Well, the problem is you did not read my post properly because I mentioned real term pay cuts, which is something different to what you are going on about.

I read it thanks maybe you would like to explain real term pay cuts please!?

I read it thanks maybe you would like to explain real term pay cuts please!?

Perhaps you'd like to answer the following question, something I'm sure everyone wants to know. Because it seems you have the answer to everything.

Who the heck is that person in your picture wearing the bikini? :love::love:

I don't know what it's in Sheffield, but in Leeds, where the support staff are striking because their pay rise is less than inflation, the VC has just given himself a rise of £38K...