Help choosing a tablet pc?

6 is way too young to get a tablet, or any form of computing device. At that age kids should be out playing with friends and leqarning social skills, not sat on their own in their room gawping at a screen.

But if you want to raise an introverted, withdrawn child with no social skills, that's your choice.

Except that at 6, most schools are using them as a teaching aid now.

Modern technology - embrace it!

6 is way too young to get a tablet, or any form of computing device. At that age kids should be out playing with friends and leqarning social skills, not sat on their own in their room gawping at a screen.

But if you want to raise an introverted, withdrawn child with no social skills, that's your choice.

I think you assumed too many things when you posted this comment. Firstly i don't recall stating how long i would let my daughter play on the tablet. Do you actually believe an hour a day would hamper her ability to develop social skills? She often dances and sings along with friends at school during break time to the latest songs (Which she tends to listen to when she's on the computer so surely that is helping her to be sociable with friends?)

Secondly I don't recall stating the apps and games which she would be playing? There are so many apps and games which can help bring fun to learning. She is far too advanced for some of the other games available so having access to the internet will give her access to games which are more suited to her and can challenge her more.

What about on rainy days when she's stuck in the house? - Still send her outside to play with friends and catch a cold? - What about the winter months when it goes dark early? still send her out in the dark where i can't keep an eye on her?

I would much rather her be in the house with her friends playing on a tablet than out in the street where i can't see her and make sure she's safe.

Your final comment about introverted, withdrawn child with no social skills is an absolute joke and it is clear you are a very sad person who looks for posts like this to try and get a kick out of responding the way you did.

You know nothing about me or my child so if you have nothing helpful to say regarding my original post, don't say anything at all

That's not what I understood and not what Apple say about android apps. If thy were wrong they would be corrected.

But they would say that wouldn't they? It seems that most Apps currently used for the ipad are also just up-scaled iphone apps and not written specifically for the ipad.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174631/htg-explains-just-how-bad-are-android-tablet-apps/

Can you give an example of an App that has a Phone and a Tablet version please?

Twitter now has one and there are several others available as many Android apps are now being designed just for tablets. The Google Play store also now shows "Designed for tablets" as its default setting. Android is catching up and will soon overtake iOS and mainly because of cost.

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 19:06 ----------

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my 6 year old a tablet for Christmas.

Any input welcome :) Or if you have links or suggestions for other tablets which would do the same job but better quality etc then please let me know

Thanks in advance

Rikki

Last Christmas I bought my 4 year old grandson a Nabi 2 and he was very happy with it. A good 7" tablet for kids but..

Although it was supposedly unbreakable and shows a crash drop test he dropped it, and the screen cracked. Unfortunately Nabi customer service is rubbish and almost non-existent and to get the screen replaced would have cost around £70. If it wasn't for their bad support I would recommend one.

So for a first tablet steer clear of anything expensive and especially ones that have ipad written on them.

As a replacement for his 5th birthday and because he is very good at school with the 3 r's I ended up getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanei-N83-Quad-Core-Capacitive/dp/B00ENFGF16/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1386096426&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=saniei+10%22+tablet

No bluetooth but fairy decent specs. An A31 quad core CPU and also has a good GPU a PowerVR SGX 544MP (similar to an ipad). I did use Antutu benchmark on it and think it was around the 12000 mark which is quite good. Only bad remark it that the sound is a bit low but fine on headphones.

I got it direct from China but if you get it from Amazon their returns policy is very good, so you could see if you like it first.

He has been using it for 4 months and its still working fine.

It's also pitch black at 4pm but feel free to send your 6 year old outside, meanwhile my 2 year old is sat with me learning the alphabet and numbers on an iPad.

Also if the op does a search they will find a whole thread on this very subject.

That's not what I understood and not what Apple say about android apps. If thy were wrong they would be corrected.

I guess you have never used android then? step outside Itunes.. its a brighter world!

You,re posting on a forum, this is just one of numerous ways in which IT has increased social interaction.

I would say this is a better buy than the ebay one for a couple of reasons

- Aldi give a 3 year warranty

- In general their electical and electronic stuff is good value - its not usually the latest or best looking, but it is solid and well built - with the ebay one you don't know what its going to be like.

Spec wise it looks pretty good although some things to beware of

- it says 'Razor sharp multitouch display (1,024 x 600 pixels) ... well even on a 7" display 1024x600 is not Razor sharp. Its not bad, but it will mean that text is quite blocky. For comparison the new Nexus 7 has 1980x1200 on the same size screen. That's almost 4 times as many pixels. The hudl has 1440 x 900 which is about twice as many pixels as the Aldi one.

(Pixels are the dots that make up the images on the screen - the more dots, the sharper the image)

- You will need an extra storage card if you want to add much to it - if you get one off ebay beware of fakes!

- The cameras will be poor - its a shame they don't put a better one on the front as that's the one you can use for Skype/Google hangouts.

As someone else pointed out the specs are incomplete - the processor details, Ram size and graphics chip are missing. I guess this will come with 512 mb RAM - not bad and probably just enough - if its 1GB then thats better, if its 256mb thats going to be a problem.

So yeah if you are really on a budget, get this instead of the ebay one.

If you can afford a bit more and you can find one, get the hudl.

Otherwise spend a bit more and get the Nexus 7, and if the best games are important then you would have to be looking at the iPad.

Edited by CPC464

Always go for an iPad. I'm a recent convert from other brands, bb and android. They cost more but it's all about ease of use which is essential!

It's not just the tablet but the apps you can get and apple are in a different league to android when it comes to tablet apps. The problem android apps have is fragmentation, too many different specs of tablets to program for.

A good buy would be a used iPad mini. They should be going quite cheap because of the new model but would be fantastic for a 6 year old.

A lot of people will slag iPads off because its apple. There's no doubt android is a fantastic OS but when it comes to tablets, and children's apps in particular, they are well off the pace.

Always go for an iPad. I'm a recent convert from other brands, bb and android. They cost more but it's all about ease of use which is essential!

It's not just the tablet but the apps you can get and apple are in a different league to android when it comes to tablet apps. The problem android apps have is fragmentation, too many different specs of tablets to program for.

A good buy would be a used iPad mini. They should be going quite cheap because of the new model but would be fantastic for a 6 year old.

A lot of people will slag iPads off because its apple. There's no doubt android is a fantastic OS but when it comes to tablets, and children's apps in particular, they are well off the pace.

so for a 6 year old you are sauing get a £250 apple tablet, and not a £75 android 1 that would do just fine. ...hummmmm

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

But they would say that wouldn't they? It seems that most Apps currently used for the ipad are also just up-scaled iphone apps and not written specifically for the ipad.

http://www.howtogeek.com/174631/htg-explains-just-how-bad-are-android-tablet-apps/

Twitter now has one and there are several others available as many Android apps are now being designed just for tablets. The Google Play store also now shows "Designed for tablets" as its default setting. Android is catching up and will soon overtake iOS and mainly because of cost.

Apple use it as part of their keynote speech's and have repeated the claim year after year. If they were wrong, Google would have stopped them, but they do not. They also give examples of the difference. In the age of the lawsuit Apple cant lie about things like this.

You say twitter but here are two images comparing how they look on each device:

Android Tablet: http://www4.pcmag.com/media/images/285099-twitter-for-android-tablets.jpg

Androind Phone: http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screenshot_2012-07-10-12-09-34.png

IOS: http://www.bestappsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/twitter-ipad.jpg

You can see how the android app is just a stretched version on the tablet while the IOS version for ipads has more features and is designed for the larger screen space. This is what Apple highlights in their keynote speeches comparing the android OS with IOS.

Also the twitter app page on Google play gives no example of how it looks on a tablet and I cant find the part that says its designed for tablets. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twitter.android&hl=en_GB

Edited by WeX

wex .. you do know an app can be made that detects what the screen size/ device is and alters accordingly.

example... angry birds.

wex .. you do know an app can be made that detects what the screen size/ device is and alters accordingly.

example... angry birds.

A games scales and stretches the pixels depending on how it is designed, while apps like Twitter can only increase the size of the page area leaving lots of blank space. This is highlighted in the pics I have given as examples. IOS has specifically designed apps for tablets that utilise this extra space.

compare a game on a PC running at 1080p resolution. Now open notepad on the same PC. What notepad is doing in full screen is what android does with apps on a tablet.

Edited by WeX