Help choosing a tablet pc?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my 6 year old a tablet for Christmas. I have no idea when it comes to technology so don't know where to start. It will be used mainly to connect to WiFi and play on games and apps, watch music videos on Youtube etc. Nothing too challenging so I know I don't need to get an iPad!

I saw this one on ebay and wondered what it would be like? - I don't need crazy spec as it will be used for really basic things so would this one be ok? or is it too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-inch-Google-LATEST-ANDROID-4-2-DUAL-CAMERA-Allwinner-A13-Tablet-PC-8GB-Wi-Fi-/130954785698?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item1e7d8373a2

Any input welcome :) Or if you have links or suggestions for other tablets which would do the same job but better quality etc then please let me know

Thanks in advance

Rikki

Edited by Rensh
Said Thanks too many times! haha TYPO!

The problem with the cheap 'no name' ones like the one you linked to is that they are made from very cheap components. This usually means very poor battery life, poor screen and a tendency to break after a few months.

It's a bit more but the Tesco hudl is worth getting if you can.

You get what you pay for when it comes to a tablet, plus droid tablets use apps that are designed for phones. There is no differentiation between a phone app and a tablet app unlike on the IOS devices. What that means is, your apps are designed for a small screen and just stretch or fill in space with blank areas.

Get a iPad Mini if you want something a bit cheaper than an iPad.

With the list of requirements you might wanna think about getting a laptop.

Watching media on a tablet isn't really great at home, you get tired of holding them and the speakers are pretty crap - not to mention the screen being quite small.

If you commute on a train daily then yea maybe, but just for use at home you'll find a laptop much more useful.

You get what you pay for when it comes to a tablet, plus droid tablets use apps that are designed for phones. There is no differentiation between a phone app and a tablet app unlike on the IOS devices. What that means is, your apps are designed for a small screen and just stretch or fill in space with blank areas.

Get a iPad Mini if you want something a bit cheaper than an iPad.

actually thats wrong, apps are now designed specifically for tablets

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Expandable memory card is a good shout, but lack of processor details always worry.

Still it looks to be a good contendor to the Hudl.

Expandable memory card is a good shout, but lack of processor details always worry.

It says Quad Core CPU (1.6 GHz).

Yes I saw, but no information on what model, who makes it, what graphics chip it runs, if it's A9 or A15 architecture etc

actually thats wrong, apps are now designed specifically for tablets

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

That's not what I understood and not what Apple say about android apps. If thy were wrong they would be corrected.

Can you give an example of an App that has a Phone and a Tablet version please?

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my 6 year old a tablet for Christmas. I have no idea when it comes to technology so don't know where to start. It will be used mainly to connect to WiFi and play on games and apps, watch music videos on Youtube etc. Nothing too challenging so I know I don't need to get an iPad!

I saw this one on ebay and wondered what it would be like? - I don't need crazy spec as it will be used for really basic things so would this one be ok? or is it too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-inch-Google-LATEST-ANDROID-4-2-DUAL-CAMERA-Allwinner-A13-Tablet-PC-8GB-Wi-Fi-/130954785698?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item1e7d8373a2

Any input welcome :) Or if you have links or suggestions for other tablets which would do the same job but better quality etc then please let me know

Thanks in advance

Rikki

6 is way too young to get a tablet, or any form of computing device. At that age kids should be out playing with friends and leqarning social skills, not sat on their own in their room gawping at a screen.

But if you want to raise an introverted, withdrawn child with no social skills, that's your choice.

6 is way too young to get a tablet, or any form of computing device. At that age kids should be out playing with friends and leqarning social skills, not sat on their own in their room gawping at a screen.

But if you want to raise an introverted, withdrawn child with no social skills, that's your choice.

Ah, that would explain the introverted nature of our kids and grandkids! -- except that they are anything but!

All allowed to use computers from an early age, one I believe learnt to read from the prompts in her computer games; several learnt programming, create Power Points, all use word processors and spreadsheets, one is fixing my network right now.

But also playing in sports teams, winning awards for music and dance, studying wildlife, and so on.

Social skills -- you just come over and look at them!

Now I run an ASUS T100; I have a little base that holds it at a nice angle, and allows a mouse and a USB drive to plug in.

I was pleased to see the price of the Aldi tablet, because I thought last summer, when we were in Sheffield, that the prices of tablets were much higher than in Australia. If it has Bluetooth (thank you, King Harold of Denmark c. 1000 AD), you can use a keyboard with it.