Pub next to noose and gibbet

Spent many an hour in The Enfield after an ice hockey match at the Arena, was a great little old pub with good ale and atmosphere.

My dad used to frequent it every night on his way home from work and was gutted when it closed and was knocked down.

He's actually got a couple of the bricks from the building in his garden as a memento. :)

I put it down to him getting on a bit so we just humour him every now and then.

The railway pub mother and father inlaw went in for years and blind Joe played piano sadley they are both deceased now

Ha . after drinking in broughton. and bird in hand from 16 got caught in Enfield just before my 18th . ho that 30 quid fine . how many pints would that have got me then. 1972. used to do disco in back room with kev farrell on sat nights to . rememeber Mighty Melvin doing a spot one night. ho happy days.:help:

Ha . after drinking in broughton. and bird in hand from 16 got caught in Enfield just before my 18th . ho that 30 quid fine . how many pints would that have got me then. 1972. used to do disco in back room with kev farrell on sat nights to . rememeber Mighty Melvin doing a spot one night. ho happy days.:help:

We kept the Enfield in '71 to '74, it was our first pub & I remember Kevin Farrell who did the disco's for us in the concert room, also his father Duke .

They were happy days , we left to go to the Cannon Hall at Firvale & retired in 1999 from a pub in Bedfordshire, we are now back home living in South Yorkshire after nearly 30 yrs in the licensed trade.

---------- Post added 15-12-2013 at 15:45 ----------

I remember the Enfield back when the Noose & Gibbet used to be the Railway. A Mansfield house wasn't it? We only ever went in there when Dot and Barry Goodison has the Railway and their beer was suspect. The other pub on the circuit was the Friendship which was referred to as the 'Top Common'. I think it might still be open.

By the way the Railway was a Bass house when we were next door.The licesees were Jack & Brenda & her meals were very popular.

Edited by Barb M

I am thinking of the Carbrook Conservative Club. Was that also demolished? I'm pretty sure it closed years ago.

And what was/ is the pub called next to the steelworks?

The Wentworth is next to the steel works and just above it used to be the Lambpool

In December 1971 Whitbread Trophy was 17p a pint......we had just gone decimal & VAT was about to come in , I am told the beer at our local , John Smiths Smooth, is around £3.00 a pint & lager is a lot more , no wonder they called it the " Good Old Days " !!

The Enfield used to have strippers on Sunday lunchtimes in the back room, during the mid 80's. I once saw a stripper who was billed as an Italian Countess, spoke with a Barnsley accent!

Hi Barb M. rememeber kev`s mum and dad having a drink or 2 in the tap room. think kev got caught under age in tap room same time as me there was a few of us , me and kev were only 2 holding beer so we were bang to wrights. the rest of lads made out they were`nt drinking, so plain clothes copper took all the drinks of table and put them on bar told landlord to throw them . rememeber the look "must have been your man " gave us . may have got him in trouble to. think beer was about 20p a pint 72ish. but only got about 15 quid a week wages .seem to think your man was ex miner could be wrong . mostly am.

Hi Barb M. rememeber kev`s mum and dad having a drink or 2 in the tap room. think kev got caught under age in tap room same time as me there was a few of us , me and kev were only 2 holding beer so we were bang to wrights. the rest of lads made out they were`nt drinking, so plain clothes copper took all the drinks of table and put them on bar told landlord to throw them . rememeber the look "must have been your man " gave us . may have got him in trouble to. think beer was about 20p a pint 72ish. but only got about 15 quid a week wages .seem to think your man was ex miner could be wrong . mostly am.

I don't remember that , but that's not unusual as it was 42 years ago !!! My husband wasn't an ex miner, he was an ex motor mechanic, we often got visit's from the police as in those days they took a dim view of under age drinkers , and we were new licensees !