People on low incomes/benefits

I'm a competent cook, though finances dictate that I live predominantly on ready meals.

It's cheaper to buy £5 worth of frozen meals, ie £1 per meal, and eat five meals, Rather than buy £5 in base materials, and eat three meals cooked from fresh.

Vegetables and Meat/ Fresh Produce is expensive.

I think if you looked at a cross section of people who are on benefits/low incomes you would find quite a lot of them used income for things that are no essential

Sky being one of them, why do they also feel the need to spend large amounts of money at christmas on expensive things using loads/catalogues etc

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 14:50 ----------

The is that as well.

Sky is not essential and is not really needed.

Maybe if all these none essential items weren't plastered in front of our faces day in day out people wouldn't think they were missing out.

It's the modern way, here's what you should be wearing, eating, driving etc. Then, along came Wonga to make the dream a reality!

It's become normal to live beyond your means, in fact it's encouraged!

It's not just the poor who buy ready meals and processed foods.

Perhaps the debate might be more illuminating if the thread was reframed to a discussion about how in general people's eating habits have changed over the years. After all irrespective of income we are all physiologically the same and need the same cofactors.

That may be a fair point Mr m.

People have definately lost the art of cooking

i have a relative who has never worked a day in his life, he plays the system, claims to be an alcoholic and has depression and gets more benefits for this,

he has a full sky package including internet and phone line, smokes and has a mobile on contract.

most working people cant afford the lifestyle he has for doing nothing but take from society.

leave the guy alone anyone would think your trying to make us feel sorry for him :roll:

Just a thought, not connected entirely to the ops incredible claim, but what about testing benefit claimants for drug use and stopping benefits for those found to be abusing drugs (or alcohol) ?

Okay, what about testing people who work, for drugs and alcohol and then sacking them, stupid!! not all people on benefits or working are on drugs or get bladdered all the time.

Small minded petty people are just not happy unless they are bashing people on benefits, makes me want to puke.

Okay, what about testing people who work, for drugs and alcohol and then sacking them, stupid!! not all people on benefits or working are on drugs or get bladdered all the time.

Small minded petty people are just not happy unless they are bashing people on benefits, makes me want to puke.

I agree, it's the politics of envy. People supp-up what they read in The Daily Mail and The Sun, because it's easier to kick those already down. I wonder why the rich owners of these newspapers don't spend as much time on the subject of tax evasion?

I dont and never will read the Daily mail et al. Not my cup of tea at all.

Just seen Katie Hopkins on 'Calendar' berating the poor for using food banks and a supermarket for the poor with similar arguments.

She clearly hasn't a clue about how these people live - but of course if she never mixes with them, and famously doesn't let her children play with anyone from a lower class, how would she know?

No doubt she also believes everything she reads in the Daily Mail...

Just a thought, not connected entirely to the ops incredible claim, but what about testing benefit claimants for drug use and stopping benefits for those found to be abusing drugs (or alcohol) ?

It would be a case of discriminating against the poor. Bad idea.

People on benefits have as much right as anyone else to spend their money however they choose.

It would be a case of discriminating against the poor. Bad idea.

People on benefits have as much right as anyone else to spend their money however they choose.

they do but are they making the right choices, their decision making has a bigger impact then those with a larger disposable income

they do but are they making the right choices, their decision making has a bigger impact then those with a larger disposable income

It's still their choice to make though.