People on low incomes/benefits

I think if you looked at a cross section of people who are on benefits/low incomes you would find quite a lot of them used income for things that are no essential

Sky being one of them, why do they also feel the need to spend large amounts of money at christmas on expensive things using loads/catalogues etc

It's traditional to not just think, but to actually know. And what is "quite a lot", in the OP you appeared to think it was all of them, now it's "quite a lot" of them...

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 07:32 ----------

Yes , but if they are stuffing their kids with crap food due to poor education is this still ok?, meaning their kids might suffer due to poor attainment levels (ok this is subjective etc)

Then you have the issue of people coming on here asking for money......

So now it's "won't we think of the children"?

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 07:34 ----------

I think the pace of life nowadays has produced a culture of immediate gratification....it's no wonder that people choose the immediacy of a burger over a stew

Ah man, and I started a stew last night, it will be cooking all day whilst I'm at work.

Have I got to throw it away and cook a burger instead?

it might be nice to have one parent at home, but a man's average wage is not enough to run a house and family these days. Now women have to go out to work to supplement that income whether they want to or not.

Its used to be until the advent of the two income family, two incomes increased a families ability to pay, which inevitably lead to an increase in price for many of the things a family needs.

I think the way we live now is just as responsible for our eating habits, than the usual 'blame the poor' (& I'm not suggesting you're doing that).

Years ago extended families lived closer by and people didn't move about as much so it was much easier to pop down to Mum's to ask how to do a casserole or help peeling the veg if you're busy etc.

I think the pace of life nowadays has produced a culture of immediate gratification....it's no wonder that people choose the immediacy of a burger over a stew

I think a larger part is due to the working life we lead today. In the 20's, 30's & 40's the woman would usually be a stay at home mother/wife. They had time to cook food, it's what they did.

Its used to be until the advent of the two income family, two incomes increased a families ability to pay, which inevitably lead to an increase in price for many of the things a family needs.

Do you actually agree that women should be oppressed then, simply because it will make it possible to live on a single wage?

Of course I am. And when they were, EVERYONE was a lot happier and better off. Feminism gone mad. That's the problem today and we are all paying for it in one way or another. Back to basics. That's the ticket.

Sounds like you need to get back in the kitchen.....or grow some balls?

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 08:21 ----------

Ah man, and I started a stew last night, it will be cooking all day whilst I'm at work.

Have I got to throw it away and cook a burger instead?

You don't cook burgers!! You buy them!!:roll:

---------- Post added 03-12-2013 at 08:22 ----------

I blame the stupid men for carrying on working while their Mrs was going out and earning a crust!!

We've strayed too far from family values i'm afraid, that's the problem.

Mother in the kitchen, the heart of the home, home maker, support system, the backbone and pillar of the family. As a child, you always knew where Mother was and no matter how dirty your wellington boots became she would just smile and put down some newspaper whilst she served up a hearty meal at the kitchen table, or maybe a few of her home baked treats. A dowdy cook "chained" to the kitchen sink she was not, an apron simply protected her fine clothes.

Father the worker, the breadwinner, the hunter, the gatherer. We had respect for our Father, we admired him and appreciated what he did for us. He left for the office at 6am and didn't return until 7.30pm. He went out into the world every day and fought the good fight. He ran the family company and earned far more than we could ever need. Not only that but he taught me the most important rule of life. He would say to me regularly, my Son, never forget, it is better to earn an absolute crap ton of money than... to not. Wise wise words I think you'll agree that I never forgot. He also taught me that a rich man and a poor man have exactly the same amount of hours in the day. So being rich or poor is actually a choice.

This post inspired me to phone my mother. She answered the phone, "hello darling, sorry, I took a while to answer the phone, I was baking in the kitchen", to which I replied, I know you were. Family values you see folks, we need to get back to basics and all will be well again.

It is not a woman's fault if her partner forces her out to work to contribute towards the mortgage, blame the men.

I'm sure there are many women who would prefer to be stay-at-home mothers, rather than pay complete strangers to look after the most precious things in their life. It's all a question of economics.

It is not a woman's fault if her partner forces her out to work to contribute towards the mortgage, blame the men.

I'm sure there are many women who would prefer to be stay-at-home mothers, rather than pay complete strangers to look after the most precious things in their life. It's all a question of economics.

How sexist!! There are plenty of men who would rather be stay at home dads. It's not the mans fault that the woman of the house doesn't earn enough to support the family.

Me & my husband are on low income, we don't smoke and only drink every so often, we cook for my family of 5 every day & still cook a Sunday meal, we have a take away every 2 month or so, i think its unfair assuming that we all are the same.

Me & my husband are on low income, we don't smoke and only drink every so often, we cook for my family of 5 every day & still cook a Sunday meal, we have a take away every 2 month or so, i think its unfair assuming that we all are the same.

It is unfair, most of us know it's unfair. There's certain people who like to post things for a reaction. Don't worry about it x

Mod Note

Bickering and insulting posts attacking other users have been removed, please keep the discussion civil.

It's interesting that this subject once again generates interest and outrage in equal measure, but the Royal Bank of Scotland bankrupting viable businesses and getting whacking great bonuses for it, and no one seems interested.

Why pick on poor people? What is it about these minnows that upsets people, while bankers can get away with genuine criminal behaviour, costing billions to the economy, but nobody seems to care?

Surprise surprise, the forum's Mrs Misery is whning about those naughty bankers again. Is there anything anywhere you don't think is the bankers' fault?