People on low incomes/benefits

Do the ONS collect data on the eating habits of people on benefits?

No, but the Daily Mail does (well anecdata anyway).

jb

How do you qualify ready meals?

I see loads of people buying "instant" savoury rice and cous cous,and not low income people either. Is that a ready meal?

Its cheaper to buy cous cous loose and add your own flavourings to it.

No, but the Daily Mail does

That bastion of truth and reliable reporting :hihi::hihi::hihi:

How do you qualify ready meals?

I see loads of people buying "instant" savoury rice and cous cous,and not low income people either. Is that a ready meal?

Its cheaper to buy cous cous loose and add your own flavourings to it.

I love savoury rice, its so easy to make in the microwave.

firstly who says they eat takeaway and ready meals secondly I don't think so I cant even buy chippie for me and my son..and have noticed that ready meals are always cheap, I can not remember the last ready meal I had in my freezer cant stand the things and really who are we to say what anyone buys

Why is that people who are on benefits or a low income seem to spend such a high % of their income on things like takeaways/processed food, expensive items at home and labels.

Instead of making food from scratch , buying good value ingredients and making do with lower value items, instead of complaining they have no money

Please enlighten us as to where you get your facts from.:confused:

I think you need to stop getting your fish and chips wrapped up in The Daily Mail

Please enlighten us as to where you get your facts from.:confused:

I think you need to stop getting your fish and chips wrapped up in The Daily Mail

i have a relative who has never worked a day in his life, he plays the system, claims to be an alcoholic and has depression and gets more benefits for this,

he has a full sky package including internet and phone line, smokes and has a mobile on contract.

most working people cant afford the lifestyle he has for doing nothing but take from society.

i have a relative who has never worked a day in his life, he plays the system, claims to be an alcoholic and has depression and gets more benefits for this,

he has a full sky package including internet and phone line, smokes and has a mobile on contract.

most working people cant afford the lifestyle he has for doing nothing but take from society.

You are talking about one person. You can't tar everyone who is unemployed with the same brush

Why is that people who are on benefits or a low income seem to spend such a high % of their income on things like takeaways/processed food, expensive items at home and labels.

Instead of making food from scratch , buying good value ingredients and making do with lower value items, instead of complaining they have no money

Could you firstly qualify this with independent data, as otherwise it's nothing but heresay, and pointless discussing it.

Could you firstly qualify this with independent data, as otherwise it's nothing but heresay, and pointless discussing it.

http://www.eufic.org/article/en/health-and-lifestyle/food-choice/artid/social-economic-determinants-food-choice/

http://eprints.qut.edu.au/53343/1/Kyoko_Miura_Thesis.pdf

Can I just say that around 8years ago I was involved in a mobile green grocers that travelled around deprived parts of West Yorkshire selling subsidised fruit and vegetables - and our experience was that it was widely used and a valued service as well.

When I explained the project to people who asked, many were similarly dismissive saying that it would never work and that people were too lazy and ignorant for it to be a success. They were wrong.

Some people's attitudes don't change though do they? In the Victorian era the rich would frequently complain that there was no point in the poor having baths as they would only store coal in them :rolleyes:

Just a thought, not connected entirely to the ops incredible claim, but what about testing benefit claimants for drug use and stopping benefits for those found to be abusing drugs (or alcohol) ?