Road resurfacing - who decides

I know there is a long thread about Amey and the work they are carrying out, I was curious to know how they decided which roads to do first and why.

The reason for asking is they have just resurfaced the whole of Walkley Lane, and if I remember correctly this was done about 5 years ago, also Cross Lane at Crookes has been done, and this also was done not so long ago. I see them doing a lot of back roads, and roads which don't really have much traffic, and leaving roads which are a lot worse. Is it because they are practising on the small roads, before they get to the big roads, ie Crookes main road, which apparently is down for doing in 2015, I don't think the surface will last that long

I've always wondered this too.

A few roads around the Ewden area were done fairly recently, but then other adjoining (and more heavily used) roads that are absolutely appalling were left while they moved on to other areas.

Some of these roads are being used for the Tour De France next year.... I assume they want to wait until after this winter to do them (do they think the new surfaces won't withstand one winter?).

Correct about the tour de France.

But the worst road I can think of is at nether Edge, Nether edge road just after the traffic lights at the junction with Machin Bank.

This is in absolutely appaling condition but no signs of anything being done.

Round here they have stuck ups signs saying they will be resurfacing the troad but they haven't been anywhere near.

Think they have bitten off more than they can chew with this job.

They split the city into zones. They do a central road, a suburban road and a rural road at the same time, all in different zones, rotating the areas to ensure there is minimal interruption.

I know there is a long thread about Amey and the work they are carrying out, I was curious to know how they decided which roads to do first and why.

The reason for asking is they have just resurfaced the whole of Walkley Lane, and if I remember correctly this was done about 5 years ago, also Cross Lane at Crookes has been done, and this also was done not so long ago. I see them doing a lot of back roads, and roads which don't really have much traffic, and leaving roads which are a lot worse. Is it because they are practising on the small roads, before they get to the big roads, ie Crookes main road, which apparently is down for doing in 2015, I don't think the surface will last that long

Cross Lane had not been done recently and it was in poor condition.

They don't need to "practice". Amey sub-contract the surfacing work to experienced contractors.

They have separate programmes for side roads and main roads. They aren't doing them both at the same time in the same area in order to minimise disruption.

When they started in Sheffield they chose three area's, residential, rural and semi industrial, residential was Shiregreen, industrial was Carbrook and I forget the rural location. The city has been divided into zones and so the work never was going to start with the worst roads first and to do all the roads in one particular area at the same time would mean chaos which is why the works seem a bit here and there. Many of the major arterial routes are going to be difficult as drivers hate to be diverted or held up but that is going to be impossible to avoid at some points and I assume they'll do main roads in stages possibly one side at a time with temporary traffic lights to allow the traffic through.

Round here they have stuck ups signs saying they will be resurfacing the troad but they haven't been anywhere near.

Think they have bitten off more than they can chew with this job.

With a programme of this size and complexity there are inevitably delays.

They have been trying to give out inforation on when works are tiaking place on a street by street basis, but when the people who are going to be carrying out that work are delayed elsewhre, they have to keep changing the dates on the information signs.

With a programme of this size and complexity there are inevitably delays.

They have been trying to give out inforation on when works are tiaking place on a street by street basis, but when the people who are going to be carrying out that work are delayed elsewhre, they have to keep changing the dates on the information signs.

In other words.....

Once the council gets involved, there will be manifold ****-ups so basically don't expect to get a decent job done or reasonable accurate information about when and where it will be done.

Because it "inevitable" that we cannot expect anything decent from this useless shower !

In other words.....

Once the council gets involved, there will be manifold ****-ups so basically don't expect to get a decent job done or reasonable accurate information about when and where it will be done.

Because it "inevitable" that we cannot expect anything decent from this useless shower !

Amey are running the show, they are private sector, as are the sub contrctors they are using.

Resurfacing all of the city's roads and footways in a five year period, as well as replacing all of the street lights, is bound to throw up some issues in programming works.

The signage is Ameys responsibility, the council audit a zone and then inform Amey if there is any work to be considered beyond their normal schedule of work to be done. The council will then after the work has been completed check that everything has been done.

Maybe if more people attended the info road shows and asked questions or informed Amey when the signage is incorrect then they might get a bit better at dealing with issues

I suppose looking at the randomness of the roads being resurfaced, it all depends on if you have a councillor living on your roads.

I suppose looking at the randomness of the roads being resurfaced, it all depends on if you have a councillor living on your roads.

With 84 councillors, there's a fair chance that the majority of zones will be home to a councillor.