Lamp post been installed in the wrong place.

Does anyone know who to contact with regard to a newly installed lamp post that's obviously been put in the wrong place. It's one of those new 'downlighter' ones that as well as 'downlighting' also does very spectacular 'sidelighting' ... directly into my girlfriends flat. It's like that scene in E.T., where the alien space ship's directly outside the window.

I'm unsure wether to contact Amey or SCC ... any contact numbers would be helpful as the matter meeds resolving/removing quickly (although the light has recently been turned on, the post hasn't been firmly fixed in place yet ... much easier to move it now rather than later, at extra cost).

but just think---no need to buy any more light bulbs, and a saving on leccy bills. id class that as a win!

I called Streets Ahead earlier this morning and spoke to a very nice woman who agreed that the light pollution I described was not acceptable. It was very helpful that she could access Google Earth whilst talking to me as it was easy to point out the offending lamp post.

She's going to contact the people working on the lights and tell them to do something about it ... apparently it's a common problem. Thanks WallBuilder for the correct information! :)

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 12:17 ----------

Contact [email protected]. I cant understand why people don't know the simplest of things.

Not so simple ... the contact method you've supplied is not the fastest way (as I asked for by the use of the word 'quickly') to get in touch with the relevant people. I'm afraid your patronising put-down has backfired. :P

I called Streets Ahead earlier this morning and spoke to a very nice woman who agreed that the light pollution I described was not acceptable. It was very helpful that she could access Google Earth whilst talking to me as it was easy to point out the offending lamp post.

She's going to contact the people working on the lights and tell them to do something about it ... apparently it's a common problem. Thanks WallBuilder for the correct information! :)

---------- Post added 02-12-2013 at 12:17 ----------

Not so simple ... the contact method you've supplied is not the fastest way (as I asked for by the use of the word 'quickly') to get in touch with the relevant people. I'm afraid your patronising put-down has backfired. :P

Rubbish! is the light life threatening? NO.

Well ... some good news here! :)

I got a phone call from the nice lady at Amey on Monday, double checking on exactly which lamp post was causing the problem. She said the problem would be fixed by the end of this week ... and it is!

They fitted a kind of shield on it yesterday, directing light away from the house.

Great news for G/F as she can go to bed without feeling as if some kind of alien abduction is about to take place! :gag:

Round of applause for Amey, who were very polite, understanding and efficient ... credit where it's due! :thumbsup:

Does anyone know who to contact with regard to a newly installed lamp post that's obviously been put in the wrong place. It's one of those new 'downlighter' ones that as well as 'downlighting' also does very spectacular 'sidelighting' ... directly into my girlfriends flat. It's like that scene in E.T., where the alien space ship's directly outside the window.

I'm unsure wether to contact Amey or SCC ... any contact numbers would be helpful as the matter meeds resolving/removing quickly (although the light has recently been turned on, the post hasn't been firmly fixed in place yet ... much easier to move it now rather than later, at extra cost).

Easy one this, fill in your hole and dig one outside your neighbours house or a neighbour you don't like - problem solved!:D

I think it would cause real problems if they start moving the lamposts about, and health and safety issues.

See, I run a cable from the lampost out side my house, and it powers all the lights, playstation etc.

If the moved the lampost, then I would need to run alonger cable, and if the light ever goes out, the cable would be a potential trip hazard.

Even with my current set up, occasionaly I get a power surge and a few sparks off the back of the telly causing it to trip out. But its usually okay, just bit annoyed cant use it to run my fridge, as am not always home to swop the plugs over when the street lights go out in the morning.

It will be easier to buy some blackout curtains than getting it moved i'm afraid....all SCC and Amey will say are "Its in the right place according to the plans"

Unfortunatly common sense doesn't come into it much when it comes to council works like this

What? Are you saying that our beloved Council are silly? That they make up silly plans? :hihi::hihi:

I have written the following on the Sheffield Lib Dem's board. I urge people to digest the information available and consider acting on it

---------------------------------------

I appreciate the reasoning behind the LED street lamps change, but it has been disappointing to see the bad decisions that have been made with what could have been a Golden opportunity for improvement. I list my reasons for thinking this below.

- The lights are simply too bright in places - night should not be as bright as day for n24 hours, it's bad for the psychology

-The spectrum of light has been poorly chosen - although the old Sodium lamps were far too yellow, this is far too blue.

- Numerous research suggests that bright blue light interferes with melatonin production and affects the body clock. It also removes one of the body's major defences against cancer. Further research suggests that bright blue peaks in the spectrum damages the retina.

- It's been ok having some blue light and some yellow light, but when it's all blue it will make the town look like a morgue. Very depressing.

- The shielding on these lights is very poor, more light seems to escape sideways than with the old Sodium lamps. It completely ruins any chance of enjoying the Night sky. It also means that people living near the lamps have ridiculously bright light pouring into their bedrooms.

I'm very disappointed in the council for being so thoughtless and insensitive with how they made these improvements - it could have been so much better.

I therefore suggest the following improvements, which hopefully can be made in the near future.

1. Not so bright later on at night please - dimming after rush hour would be good.

2. Consider replacing the soulless blue lights with something a bit more like the spectrum of an old incandescent bulb - not the old sodium yellow, but a little bit warmer. LEDs with theist characteristic are beginning to be developed.

3. Shield the sides of the lamps so that it reflects only onto the street, and not into people's houses and gardens.

I am going to be busy raising awareness of these issues, so I hope the council can be proactive and act before the public's dislike causes embarrassment.

These lights are certainly going to make things look different.In fact,only last night coming back over Rininglow from Manchester at midnight I commented(as I always do,apparentley!) on the night view of the city from up there are made a mental note to go up and take some photos before all the sodium lights go.It will be an interesting comparison when all the new lights are installed.