Pilates Ballerina Arms Exercise for Kiphosis

Hello everyone

I would like to share with you a Pilates exercise that is not widely known and has excellent benefits reducing Kiphosis or the rolling inward shoulders effect. Maybe you know about it maybe you don't, so here goes:

The Ballerina Arms

1. Sit cross-legged

2. Straighten the spine as though resting against an imaginery wall

3. Bend the elbows at a 90 degree angle to protect the shoulder in its socket

4. Take the arms back (without hiper extending) to connect the shoulder blades (works the rhomboids)

5. Take the arms down so the shoulder blades slide down your spine

6. Raise the bent arms above your head (as a ballerina would-hence the name of the exercise)

7. And end with arms as first started in front of you

**Note: Not everyone can comfortably sit cross-legged. If your knees pop up above the hips, it is then difficult to straighten the spine. You end up sitting in the kyphotic posture the exercise is designed to alleviate.

If that's the case, sit on a lift: folded blankets, flat bolster, etc. to get those knees at or under hip height. Then you'll be able to achieve lift and length through the spine**

Do a repetition of 3 every day and in one week you will see a major difference in how you walk and sit with a more longated spine.

I am a professional Pilates Trainer (AFPA, NESTA, GRAFTS) born in Blackpool (UK) but am currently living in Greece, and I would love to hear how you went with the exercise.

All my best - Elaine

Enjoy my site!

http://www.stayathomejob.freeservers.com