Need advice on water leak

Severn Trent water have been doing work replacing water pipes just around the corner from where we live. On Thursday morning they turned off the water supply to our homes at 8am and it was off until 5pm. When the supply came back on my husband and I could hear a leak somewhere. My husband searched in vain but could find nothing so the next morning he rang STW to inform them of our problem. They advised that it would probably sort itself out when the work outside was completed. It's now Saturday afternoon and the leak is still there, we have been worried so once again my hubby did some investigating. He finally found the leak behind the dishwasher but on the other side of the meter. The leak is not affecting our meter at all so we assume it is not our responsibility. However, as I half expected, we have been told that is is not their responsibility and we have to foot the bill to call out a plumber to fix the leak. Before they turned the water off on Thursday we didn't have a leak and no sign of a problem. It was only after they turned off the supply and then back on again that the leak occurred. Can anyone out there advise me if we have any recourse against STW. We would be grateful for any feedback about this issue.

Hi you don't mention whether the water metre is internal or external if it is external it is most likely to be their problem. If it is internal it will be your problem. unfortunately what happens with upgrading and replacing water mains is that the new plastic main offer less resistance so smaller piping is used which increase the pressure thus find any weak spots in your home sometimes. The place where the leak is will may have been a weak spot or it could just be a sheer coincidence that it happened at the same time. We have appointments available monday if you require the leak fixing.

Cheers

Mike

The leak will be your responsibility if it is on your side of your boundary stop tap (if you have your own/shared one)

Tell your [buildings] insurance company, no matter who is legally responsible for fixing the leak).

Tell your [buildings] insurance company, no matter who is legally responsible for fixing the leak).

I disagree, unless the was major water damage, i wouldn't be informing the insurance company for something like this (if its minor)

I disagree, unless the was major water damage, i wouldn't be informing the insurance company for something like this (if its minor)

You'd be right in logic- BUT you need to understand a policyholder's duty to disclose.

You'd be right in logic- BUT you need to understand a policyholder's duty to disclose.

You would have to check whether a water leak is something that needs to be disclosed and if failure to disclose would mean future claims could be repudiated.

But mountains and mole hills come to mind

Why would they disclose it?

It'll probably be cheaper to fix than any excess the insurance company will charge.

In my limited experience:

Leak issues - 1st rule- Dont argue with a plumber.

Insurance issues - 1st rule - Dont argue with a lawyer.

I think plain simple common sence is an issue here.

£100 excess on policy./ £50 to fix leak .

It would take an ins. company a month to sort out.

They would then put premium up following year.

If no claim for water damage whats the point

:loopy::loopy::loopy:

I can see Jefferys point

EG

we fix a leak which then allows all the timber to dry that was previously wet.

Timber starts to dry out rot sets in floor falls through op didn't inform insurance not covered for damage !

Mod note.

Posts deleted for being argumentative and unneccessary.

Please play nicely.