Beauchief hotel pedestrian crossing

I suspect this topic has been addressed before but there appears to be a real need for a paedestrian crossing at the crossroads of abbey lane and abbeydale road. There is one on the abbeydale road but not abbey lane. Whenever we cross, like today to go to the Christmas fair, I feel like we are risking our lives. I see someone was knocked down there again a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone know if this has been raised already? It didn't come up on my search.

Thanks

Have you tried talking to your local councillor? they are good at sorting this stuff out.

I suspect this topic has been addressed before but there appears to be a real need for a paedestrian crossing at the crossroads of abbey lane and abbeydale road. There is one on the abbeydale road but not abbey lane. Whenever we cross, like today to go to the Christmas fair, I feel like we are risking our lives. I see someone was knocked down there again a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone know if this has been raised already? It didn't come up on my search.

Thanks

You just might like to look up the spelling of the third word in the topic title and ask the mods to change it.

You can request a crossing but the council recieve dozens of these requests and so it'll go on to the list. The council may push it up the list a bit if it is seen that the accident rates there are high. The problem with that junction is the speed the cars can attain when approaching the lights and then as the lights start to change drivers still keep going. Also as the time delay from switching one set of lights to red and the others to green is quite long locals in the area now know this and so know they can go through on red and stuff the people on foot.. I've been asking for a pelican controlled crossing at the junction of Archer, Bannerdale and Abbeydale roads for ages and so have figured out how the highways team approach things.

Have you tried talking to your local councillor? they are good at sorting this stuff out.
not until there has been so many deaths/injuries etc they wont even get involved because the road has to be classed as a high risk :roll:

The junction at Archer road, further down Abbeydale road can also be really dangerous and could definately do with a crossing.

Thanks

Where exactly do you need a pedestrian crossing at this point? At the crossroads themselves you have traffic lights with (admittedly not long ) gaps between the sequence, on Abbey Lane itself going towards Ecclesall there is a pedestrian refuge not that far from the junction, on Abbeydale Road South there is a light controlled crossing on the city side.

The only minor problem I can see (and I use the road almost daily) is the left turn filter up Abbey Lane on the city side, but with a bit of forward thinking, even that is not a major problem.

---------- Post added 01-12-2013 at 07:22 ----------

The junction at Archer road, further down Abbeydale road can also be really dangerous and could definately do with a crossing.

Same question here - where do you need a crossing? Abbeydale Road itself, city side, has a pedestrian 'slot' in the sequence, and the other roads at this point are narrow enough to cross safely without the need for any extra obstruction.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but we do have eyes, a brain & (hopefully) common sense.

Thanks

If you are wanting a crossing at the actual signalled junction, it will probably not be possible. If it had been possible, it would have been included last time the junction was re jigged.

There are problems with the capacity of the junction and adding pedestrian crossings into the sequence would compound the issue.

I can put you in touch with the guys who operate the traffic signals for SCC. They can explain it to you in detail. PM me if you want contact details.