When did the Attercliffe Common become Attercliffe Common

OH! memories of Attercliffe.

My husband first told me he loved me, on the steps of the Nat West at the bottom of Staniforth Rd.

yes happy time i always remember the bedbugs ,silver fish, rats,blackclocks,and mice, i met my flo down attercliffe many moons ago always remember her standing there hump on her back and a patch over her left lens of her specks, may she rest in peace,

and the salvation army band that came round . on a sunday morning waking you up when you just done 12 hour shift give them half a crown flo and tell them to go happy times

Edited by backwardben
added

Attercliffe has always been common :hihi:

I was brought up in the part of Pitsmoor that was near the steelworks, and I'm proud to be just as common as them!

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 01:20 ----------

i went to sunday school once on zion lane and was thrown out:hihi:

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 11:16 ----------

clock maker was just up from the baths on the left

Thrown out onto Attercliffe Road not Attercliffe Common I presume.

Edited by stpetre
add

i went to sunday school once on zion lane and was thrown out:hihi:

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 11:16 ----------

clock maker was just up from the baths on the left

Ah coz it were sunday night and you were nicking lead off roof with me !

Edited by bantycock
xxx

Ah coz it were sunday night and you were nicking lead off roof with me !

theres more profit in the cannons. if we had not been ripped off

Edited by paul0726
word wrong

theres more profit in the cannons. if we had not been ripped off

cannons ?????:confused:

Hi Pal215

Can you tell me if Terry Street is on your map or is it just a track up to the Belle View Farmhouse?

I would love to see a copy of this map, can it be bought from anywhere?

Happy Days! PopT

Hi Pal215

Can you tell me if Terry Street is on your map or is it just a track up to the Belle View Farmhouse?

I would love to see a copy of this map, can it be bought from anywhere?

Happy Days! PopT

There's a guy on here Hillsbro bet he can help u out !

Okay so after digging through more old ordinance survey maps on sheffieldhistory.co.uk and other reference sites I now have the answer.

According to OS map SK3889SW dated 1954 heading out of Sheffield towards Rotherham Attercliffe Common started at the Junction with Kirkbridge Road, the postal address for the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op branch which used to stand on that corner was 2 Attercliffe Common which would confirm that. Before that point it was Attercliffe Road (the Golden Ball stood at 838 Attercliffe Road) Attercliffe Common then runs all the way to the junction with Weedon Street after which it becomes Sheffield Road.

You are quite right about Kirkbridge Rd and Weedon St, Swap Shop on one corner and B & C on the other. Kirkbridge was only a short road with Attercliffe police station on it. I'm amazed at ignorance of some of the people on the Forum who say they lived on Attercliffe for years!!

Brill and Rossyrooney are right, going out of town-towards Tinsley- Attercliffe Common started at Kirkbridge Road (did there used to be a B&C funeral place there?) on the even number side, and at Clay Street on the odd side, ending at Weedon Street and as mentioned Attercliffe Road went the other way up to where 'Tommy Ward's' was at Saville Street. As for the police station, I thought that was on Whitworth Lane.

Brill and Rossyrooney are right, going out of town-towards Tinsley- Attercliffe Common started at Kirkbridge Road (did there used to be a B&C funeral place there?) on the even number side, and at Clay Street on the odd side, ending at Weedon Street and as mentioned Attercliffe Road went the other way up to where 'Tommy Ward's' was at Saville Street. As for the police station, I thought that was on Whitworth Lane.

You are right stpetre the cop shop was on Whitworth Lane.

It's alright me going on about Attercliffe folk not knowing the area and then making a gaffe like that.:huh:

...Attercliffe Common started at Kirkbridge Road (did there used to be a B&C funeral place there?)...
Yes..:)

---------- Post added 16-07-2015 at 19:30 ----------

Hi Pal215. Can you tell me if Terry Street is on your map or is it just a track up to the Belle View Farmhouse?..
The 1850 Ordnance Survey map just shows a track to Belle Vue. Terry Street is shown on this 1901 map..:)

You are right stpetre the cop shop was on Whitworth Lane.

It's alright me going on about Attercliffe folk not knowing the area and then making a gaffe like that.:huh:

Mr? Brill, That's ok you're still in front for your 'clliffe' knowledge and who am to contradict any anyone from the old Sheff. 9. A Burngreave/Pitsmoor lad at that.