When did the Attercliffe Common become Attercliffe Common

Born on Newhall Rd....I always thought the Common was to the right towards town and Road to the left standing at the end, facing the Baths.
It was always Newhall Road when I lived in Brightside, pre war. The Common went as far as Carbrook.

Born on Newhall Rd....I always thought the Common was to the right towards town and Road to the left standing at the end, facing the Baths.

It's the other way around. 'Road' is where Banner's was all the way past Staniforth Road and Norfolk Bridge to Saville St. 'Common' is from there(the baths) towards Tinsley, to Weedon St. perhaps?

I've just been looking at at an Ordinance survey map dated 1850 (yeah I know…. I should get out more) and the road I know to be Attercliffe Road is clearly marked as being High Street, Attercliffe.

Which sparked the question when was the name changed and why? I then looked at a map dated 1905 and it’s on there as Attercliffe road so it must have happened sometime between 1850 and 1905, anyone out there in forumland know the answer….. oh and where exactly does Attercliffe Road become Attercliffe Common?

I have a similar question what came first the chicken or the egg ?

I've just been looking at at an Ordinance survey map dated 1850 (yeah I know…. I should get out more) and the road I know to be Attercliffe Road is clearly marked as being High Street, Attercliffe.

Which sparked the question when was the name changed and why? I then looked at a map dated 1905 and it’s on there as Attercliffe road so it must have happened sometime between 1850 and 1905, anyone out there in forumland know the answer….. oh and where exactly does Attercliffe Road become Attercliffe Common?

i know where

i know where

How's tha know that that dint venture far from Burgess Rd

I understood the main question to be - when did Attercliffe High Street, become Attercliffe Road/Common ?

How's tha know that that dint venture far from Burgess Rd

i was a good boy i was:D

It would be interesting if some one could answer the question as I used to have a large fusee wall clock inscribed with the name of the retailer (sadly I've forgotten the name) and marked High Street, Attercliffe. I would date the clock around 1870, so the change must have been comparatively late on.

i was a good boy i was:D

Gerraway wi thi sof

Gerraway wi thi sof

i went to sunday school once on zion lane and was thrown out:hihi:

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 11:16 ----------

It would be interesting if some one could answer the question as I used to have a large fusee wall clock inscribed with the name of the retailer (sadly I've forgotten the name) and marked High Street, Attercliffe. I would date the clock around 1870, so the change must have been comparatively late on.

clock maker was just up from the baths on the left

1879 directory

323 High street Attercliffe

Clapson Lomas watchmaker and jeweller.

OH! memories of Attercliffe.

My husband first told me he loved me, on the steps of the Nat West at the bottom of Staniforth Rd.