Advice regarding sending an email and health and safety

Hi, an employee informed me that they forgot to clock in, I then asked them to clock in whilst she was in the presence of an F&B manager. The manager said I have a busy conference set up does the employee have to go now. I made the mistake and accepted it but from a health and safety perspective if a fire happened, no one would know the employee is in the building.

How can I rectify what I have done here so moving forward the manager is made aware that it is important for an employee to clock in and out? How could I have dealt with the situation differently? How can I draft an email to keep a paper trail that the manger has been made aware of the situation, so in future I have something to refer to if they fail to support this happening.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions :-)

What is your position within the organisation?

The employee should have clocked in regardless.

What is your position within the organisation?

Obviously one beyond his/her capabilities if SF is the first option they have to ask for advice.:loopy:

Obviously one beyond his/her capabilities if SF is the first option they have to ask for advice.:loopy:

Rather blunt way of putting it.

However, I would agree with the message that the OP needs to start talking to people who actually know the business rather than resorting to random opinions on here time after time.

So far we have had threads on:

What to do when you miss a deadline

How to cope in an new role

How much training should I get

How to do this xxx How to do that xxx

Should an organisation pay for your training

How to be assertive

How to deal with strong characters

Dealing with feedback from an appraisal

How to request an extension of a work contract

What's is like to do xxxxx job...

Whatever the OP is doing, I would advise they have a think really hard whether their personality and/or skills and/or desire is suitable for the role.

From this thread, it appears that you have some responsibility/authority over others. You need to have a strong personality to deal with Staff with an ability to make quick decisions and hit the floor running. Without those skills Staff will regrettebly find a weakness and take advantage of it.

If you are at a loss and need advice on such issues request a meeting with you own line manager and discuss your concerns. SF is not a resource to solve ones work queries.

However, I would agree with the message that the OP needs to start talking to people who actually know the business rather than resorting to random opinions on here time after time.

How to be assertive

Whatever the OP is doing, I would advise they have a think really hard whether their personality and/or skills and/or desire is suitable for the role.

From this thread, it appears that you have some responsibility/authority over others. You need to have a strong personality to deal with Staff with an ability to make quick decisions and hit the floor running. Without those skills Staff will regrettebly find a weakness and take advantage of it.

If you are at a loss and need advice on such issues request a meeting with you own line manager and discuss your concerns. SF is not a resource to solve ones work queries.

I thought your response was more blunt than the last! (when you include the condescending manner)

Why did a manager have to be present when the employee clocked in?

Whose responsibility is it to ensure all employees clock in?

If it is not yours then you could either:

1. Apply a SEP field.

2. Inform the responsible person that you have noted that occasionally some employees are forgetting to sign in. It then becomes their problem.

If it is your responsibility:

1. Sort it yourself. Send an email/or other form of communication to everybody (or to the various line managers, whichever is most appropriate) reminding them of the importance of signing in and WHY it is important.

Job done.

jb

ETA: If you're going to keep coming here for work related help it would be beneficial if you could provide more information regarding your position, responsibilities and the hierarchy etc of your work place. Ultimately, the best piece of advice is to be assertive and speak to people. If you have a problem, voice it. If you can't because the people involved are dicks and more superior to you then either go over their head, report the problem to your manager or get all formal on their ass (make sure to copy you manager in on any emails, bcc them if you like).

Edited by barleycorn

from a health and safety perspective if a fire happened, no one would know the employee is in the building.

What would happen if the fire happened while they were going to clock in?

What would happen if a fire meant that nobody could get the list of who's clocked in?

No business should rely solely on clock records for an accurate list of who's in the building.

Hi, an employee informed me that they forgot to clock in, I then asked them to clock in whilst she was in the presence of an F&B manager. The manager said I have a busy conference set up does the employee have to go now. I made the mistake and accepted it but from a health and safety perspective if a fire happened, no one would know the employee is in the building.

How can I rectify what I have done here so moving forward the manager is made aware that it is important for an employee to clock in and out? How could I have dealt with the situation differently? How can I draft an email to keep a paper trail that the manger has been made aware of the situation, so in future I have something to refer to if they fail to support this happening.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions :-)

Do you have an employee hand book? There should be guidance in their on the requirements to clock in and out and the reasons. Quote this back to the manager. You cant be reprimanded for doing your job.

I was going to say but econoob has scared me off. Is he the godfather of SF>

How can I rectify what I have done here so moving forward the manager is made aware that it is important for an employee to clock in and out?

Blanket email to everyone in the office, not mentioning anyone specific outlining that ALL employees must use correct clocking in/out procedures when entering/leaving the building, with something along the lines of future lapses will be taken down a disciplinary route as per company/H&S guidelines.

Request a reply from all recipients which will show who's read it. Chase up anyone who doesn't reply and ask why.

SF is not a resource to solve ones work queries.

since when?

admittedly if you ask a question on here you have to separate the wheat from the chaff - and there is often a lot of chaff - but why shouldn't someone seek advice from different sources?

How to be assertive

Sounds like they have a business opportunity writing about work issues, and forummers are doing the work! :hihi::hihi: