Sign in to follow this  

Blitz Raid on Railway

I'm trying to discover details of an air raid (possibly in the 1940 "blitz") that destroyed a signal-box at the Midland Station. My grandfather Frederick Arthur STEELE was a signalman there and was buried alive in the rubble. He was rescued but never recovered from his injuries and died some years later (possibly 1944/45). If anyone can help with details / dates, etc I would be most grateful.

I have been checking with some of my colleagues at work (current sheffield box) and nobody yet has any recollection of a box being damaged at the station, but I will ask some of the other 'old hands' when they are next on duty.

Further to my last posting I've been told it was one of the 2 boxes at the south end of the station. New parts were sent from Derby and it was re-built and back in service within 3 days.

Now have the answer you wanted. The box involved was Sheffield South number 2. It was damaged in December 1940, the damage was such that it required a new lever frame, windows and boarding.

Many thanks Elenac. Would you or anyone who I can speak to in more details - especially about occupants of the box, please contacrt rcs@crofthouse.org.uk

Regards

RCS

A photograph of the charred and boarded up signal box at the south end of Sheffield Midland station, appeared in a special Sheffield newspaper entitled "Trains & Trams" Mon February 1st 1988. Will send a scan of this if I can have your email address.

Please post a link if you can (your own web page??) so we can all have a look? Thanks