Tightest employer at Christmas competition!

Just out of interest, and without naming and shaming, can anyone beat my employer for the most Scrouge like treatment at Christmas?

The company I work for was taken over by a much larger company in recent years and have slowly but surely stripped back any Crimbo perks we had. 25th Dec is the only day of the year we don't open but they still take a day's annual leave from you that day (as bank hols are merged with your hols). No party unless you want to arrange and pay for your own,, no early leave christmas eve (used to get to leave at lunch time) no bonus, no present (we used to get a hamper of our own produce), plus if our customers send us a christmas present, we have to hand it in for the Christmas raffle!

Can you top that?!

You have a job,I suspect a lot of unemployed people would be envious of you.

25th Dec is the only day of the year we don't open but they still take a day's annual leave from you that day (as bank hols are merged with your hols)
That's because your employer does not recognise bank holidays. But you still get your statutory holiday entitlement all the same, BH are simply counted as holiday entitlement instead.

You do not have an automatic right to take bank or public holidays off work, with or without pay. This will depends on your employment contract.

Your employment contact may say that you have the right to statutory holidays or it may not say anything about contractual holidays or statutory holidays. In these cases, your employer can:

•ask you to work bank or public holidays, or

•give you bank and public holidays off without paying you for them. In this case, you won't lose your right to take your full statutory holiday at some other point, or

•give you bank and public holidays off and pay you for them but ask you to count them towards your statutory holiday entitlement, or

•do a combination of all of these.

source.

That's because your employer does not recognise bank holidays. But you still get your statutory holiday entitlement all the same, BH are simply counted as holiday entitlement instead.

source.

That's correct yes, that's why the bank hols were merged with annual leave as soon as possible after the take over as it works out far better for them! They aren't daft I can tell you!

---------- Post added 29-11-2013 at 15:19 ----------

You have a job,I suspect a lot of unemployed people would be envious of you.

I'm sure some people would be yes, I'm not looking for sympathy, just curious to see if I do work for the tightest company going. So far, I'm yet to find another who can match or beat it!

Edited by Grenoside123

That's correct yes, that's why the bank hols were merged with annual leave as soon as possible after the take over as it works out far better for them! They aren't daft I can tell you!

I'm confused. You should have the same number of paid holidays both before and after the merging.

For example:

Pre merge: 20 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays = 28 days

Post merge: 28 days holiday and zero bank holidays = 28 days

jb

How about nothing? I work for a large department store and I get zilch, zero, nada extra.

Even working boxing day, no extra, no time owing, nothing.

And to those people saying "Hurrrr duurrrrrr at least u have a job" - yeah I do, cause I went out and got one.

I'm sure some people would be yes, I'm not looking for sympathy, just curious to see if I do work for the tightest company going. So far, I'm yet to find another who can match or beat it!
TBH, none of what you listed in the OP is particularly "scroungy".

Unless your contract says you're entitled to a free Xmas party, early clock off on Xmas Eve, a bonus etc. why should you get any of it? It's your employer, not Santa :rolleyes:

The "put the customer present into the company Christmas raffle" is a bit mean, admittedly. Oh well, at least they're not making you bring and put your own in :D

How about nothing? I work for a large department store and I get zilch, zero, nada extra.

And to those people saying "Hurrrr duurrrrrr at least u have a job" - yeah I do, cause I went out and got one.

Ditto! no time and a half or day in leiu for us either!

Well said mate, as for the "you have a job" as you say you went out and got one, but as you say it doesn't give employers the right to treat staff like dirt.:rant:

Just out of interest, and without naming and shaming, can anyone beat my employer for the most Scrouge like treatment at Christmas?

The company I work for was taken over by a much larger company in recent years and have slowly but surely stripped back any Crimbo perks we had. 25th Dec is the only day of the year we don't open but they still take a day's annual leave from you that day (as bank hols are merged with your hols). No party unless you want to arrange and pay for your own,, no early leave christmas eve (used to get to leave at lunch time) no bonus, no present (we used to get a hamper of our own produce), plus if our customers send us a christmas present, we have to hand it in for the Christmas raffle!

Can you top that?!

fairly normal i would say in these times, if you worked for me you would be in xmas day as well:hihi: how about giving the boss a present to say thanks for keeping you in a job:o

I have no paid holidays, I get paid an extra 50p an hour 'rolled up holiday pay' which I am meant to save for holidays. We can however have as many days off as we please due to that and zero hour contracts.

Last year, I was required to work on xmas day for no extra payment! I have booked it off this year :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

fairly normal i would say in these times, if you worked for me you would be in xmas day as well:hihi: how about giving the boss a present to say thanks for keeping you in a job:o
Oooh, popcorn thread! :thumbsup:

#grabs box, sits down and perks up# :D