Aston cum Aughton

I was born at Aughton1935 and lived in the parish until 1964. Have not heard anything about Aughton since that time oinly on my visits from Australia in 2004 2006 and 2011. Would welcome any news. My name is Keikth Taylor..

TBH except for the chippy being renovated/renamed, nothing has changed in the last 10 years.

The old reading room was extended and refurbished.

Dear Keith, I think you will find it was always known as :-

ASTON-CUM - AUGHTON going back a long, long, way in time. - Another name for you Keneth Guidham 73 Park Hill if, still alive will be about 75/76 now, first wemi after the council house where John Makinder lived - victormh - Malaysia

Ive heard they've emptied the ashtrays in the Rosegarth but I can't be sure

Ive heard they've emptied the ashtrays in the Rosegarth but I can't be sure

Does anyone remember the great football team we had _Aughton Juniors Football Club?

Does anyone remember the great football team we had _Aughton Juniors Football Club?

It virtually folded after Aughton Rec was developed and houses put on it. bill Layne died then his son took over.

Can anyone bring me up to date with Aston cum Aughton? I don't seem to see any news on any threads.I last visited the area in 2011.

There are far more football teams in the area than when you were here,

under16 boys and girls 14

aston swallownest and swallownest miners welfare 10 (most generated through kids football).

Where the old fishing tackle shop was on worksop rd aboce a 3 story service centre containind council offices, library, health centre. Below beeches block of 4 flats and in the pavilion snookrr club that they are seeking planning permission for flats.on mansfield rd on the opposite corner ar the side of welding rods a largesports clothing warehouse retailers pinder. Furyhrt on about 4 other types of factore units and yards. At the bottom of the hill is a by passjpining the bottom of fence to the m1.there there is also a fire station, post offive goe just of worksop rd, Black bull now flats and a house at the back.Towardss Aughton on the fields opposite Wesley ave is a park with football fields playground and all weather court.

Black bull shut for the second time in 2 yrs. Opposite that shop/post office..What was the high school is Aston academy. Opposite Swalloenest school and up tp the welfare is a infant school and church. At yhe traffic lights on Chesterfield rd on the right at the lights was the Whetherby pub converted pinto offices, on the right ehere the farm house and barn are flats is a housing estate that goes down to the by pass. Near the by pass on chesterfield rd round to fence school is a large housing estate.where you wnt down to Beighton on thr right is a large fly over to the Beighton td/woodhouse rd. swallownest bottom a large co op and where Brsdleys nursey has been there is a large housing estate. Siddslls is now a chinese resteraunt. plus loads of other smaller changes.

Wow ASAW - many changes then since I left. I was born at 14 Aughton Road, Swallownest July 1940 - opposite what was then the doctors surgery, called it The Knoll. Moved to 77 Park hill 1952, last pair of semi's before field (field then, houses now). Got married and bought a house on Park Drive, off Beighton Lane, opposite Tarvers Dog Kennels. moved to Driffield in 1967, and then to Malaysia 2006. I remember all you have described before the changes. Pubs were pubs then, I cannot remember an y ever being turned into offices or flats in those days. I can also remember a lot of the children at Swallownest school 1945/1951 and Woodhouse Grammar School 1951/1957, although I suspect many will no longer be with us. I was told by Ken Siddall that when he inherited the farm at Fence, he soon decided to sell the land with planning permission and retire from farming. But he did keep the house and barns to renovate for his children/grandchildren's homes. He was spending a lot of time at Whitby where he bought a cottage. You do sound knowlegible about the area, did you go to Swallownest school during 1945/1951 ? or is that too early for you ? Maybe we know a lot of the same people ?

Best Regards - Victor - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

I moved to Swallownest from Sheffield in 1972.

what was the docyors surgery Dr Gregory lived there after the heath centre moved from 2houses to a then new site on Hepworth Drive(now demolished). What was Brookhousr pit has gone and is now Rother Valley Country park. It goes from Waleswood at one side to Beighton at the other and the length goes to Killamarsh. the pit at the othet side of the road is a pub. You want to go on yhe internet you may find othrr thind of interest.

What was Dobsons is now an indian restrraunt.

ASAW

I have tried to send you a reply to your private message but it is not showing as "sent". Can you please let me know if you have received it OK

Best Regards - Victor