Help - new tv , but DVD problem now

I can't see it been the scart lead has it worked perfectly on his older tv.

Maybe check that the lead is inserted properly which I'm guessing he's already done that.

I have a 32' toshiba LCD TV in bed room and there is a button with a circle with an arrow going through which is the source button, with PC,hdmi and scart I don't use scart but I'm guessing it's the circle with the s at side.

Another thing I don't understand is if he's watching bbc1 and puts a DVD in it over rides the channel? I have to go to the source to watch what is connected.

If you live in parson cross I would more than be happy to check it out.

Thankyou so much but I live miles away from Parson Cross :). I've tried a new scart lead and its the same , now someone has suggested I get a adapter.... but first I'm going to have a look at my remote and find that button .

---------- Post added 30-11-2013 at 16:15 ----------

As I stated above, Scart leads have a connection (pin 8 I think) that is dedicated to switching the source on application of a voltage through that pin, it also auto selects the aspect ratio of the source by passing either 12v(4:3) or 6v(16:9) through the pin. You will be unaware of this feature if you don't use scart.

Ok thankyou ,, but what you just wrote went right over my head ,

I'm female and feeling rather hyserical lololol::confused:

---------- Post added 30-11-2013 at 16:18 ----------

I can't see it been the scart lead has it worked perfectly on his older tv.

Maybe check that the lead is inserted properly which I'm guessing he's already done that.

I have a 32' toshiba LCD TV in bed room and there is a button with a circle with an arrow going through which is the source button, with PC,hdmi and scart I don't use scart but I'm guessing it's the circle with the s at side.

Another thing I don't understand is if he's watching bbc1 and puts a DVD in it over rides the channel? I have to go to the source to watch what is connected.

If you live in parson cross I would more than be happy to check it out.

I don't think it should be over riding the channel , I think I have to pick a channel for my dvd to use , which I will do when I find out how . I've triple checked all leads, I will go to the source again and have a fiddle,

Hillwalker, I am a bit concerned you are spending more money on trying to salvage an old (15 years you said?) DVD player, rather than biting the bullet and buying a new one for 27£ (Plus HDMI cable presumably).

As it will be over HDMI rather than SCART the picture quality should be a bit better and it should work better with your new modern telly.

check this one for example.

I would prefer a Sony over the slightly cheaper LOGIK, but that is me :)

Hillwalker, I am a bit concerned you are spending more money on trying to salvage an old (15 years you said?) DVD player, rather than biting the bullet and buying a new one for 27£ (Plus HDMI cable presumably).

As it will be over HDMI rather than SCART the picture quality should be a bit better and it should work better with your new modern telly.

check this one for example.

I would prefer a Sony over the slightly cheaper LOGIK, but that is me :)

I made a phone call earlier and my friend said the same thing , so I have decided to but a decent Dvd player and save myself all the stress of trying to make this old one work with a new tv, I've seen this in Argos LGDP432 DVD player with HDMI upscaling- £34, would this one do the job as I don't know what upscaling means.

I agree with the others, but especially whoever said it was more likely the scart connection wasnt firmly seated in both the tv and the dvd player. they need pushing right in so all the pins are connecting. If not then that would acccount for the colour.

I quite like toshiba players, even blu ray. Advantage of getting the same brand is you can control both with the same remote. Regaza link or something.

Upscaling just means that it will use some compute technology to try and pretend it has a higher resolution.

CRT tvs were 480 dp, the next generation of flatscreens settled on 720dp and the blu ray standard for most modern tvs is 1080p. As far as I know DVDs are 480p i.e less deatiled than the 720 or 1080 tv you have. The upscale circuitry will try and give the picture more detail so it looks better.

DVD players these days are dirt cheap, blu ray players only a bit more expensive. Lots of bargains on ebay.

dvd player b&m hillsbrough £20 WITH USB,GOT ONE OUTHER DAY,PLAYS COPPIES AS WELL.

Hi all,

got new DVD player plugged it in and all perfect ,

Thankyou to all replies :)

Good to hear hillwalker :) the problem with all these fancy gizmos is that they tend to be built for a short lifespan and repairing is usually a lot more expensive than replacing.