Help - new tv , but DVD problem now

Hi

Before I ask the question I must point out that I have no idea what I'm doing so please be gentle ,

I have bought my first modern tv lol its Toshiba LED Backlight LCD TV, my old tv and dvd worked fine but I thought it time to modernize,

My new tv works lovely , but when I play a dvd the colour is really bad and the picture brightens and dims at will , plus people have strange colour tones to their hair like red and green, I tried the tv help line thingy and they couldn't fix it.

But tonight I was checking all the sockets at the back of tv and dvd , the tv has HDMI sockets and my dvd player doesn't , so I'm wondering if I need a new dvd player now and a HDMI lead, instead of using my old scarp lead.

I'm starting to wish I'd kept my old antique telly . Any help would be great

Sounds like the SCART lead could be dodgy; it's possible it was damaged when you replaced the TV. I've done that before, it doesn't take much. If the screen itself was up to no good, then you'd be having similar problems with normal television.

My first point of call would be a new SCART lead rather than buying a new DVD player, it's a considerably cheaper option..

Hi hillwalker, the problem definitely points at a problem with the connection. Have you ensured the SCART is connected properly on both ends? Also, the TV might have several SCARTS (although unlikely as it is a new one) try and use the different ones if it does, you might have to switch AV channel to find your DVD player, most modern remotes come with an AV/TV button that should do this for you.

Sounds like the SCART lead could be dodgy; it's possible it was damaged when you replaced the TV. I've done that before, it doesn't take much. If the screen itself was up to no good, then you'd be having similar problems with normal television.

My first point of call would be a new SCART lead rather than buying a new DVD player, it's a considerably cheaper option..[/QUOT

Thankyou for your advice, I have a uview box to connect too( what joy ) when I get the dvd sorted and a spare scart lead came in the package so I tried that yesterday and it made no diff to my problem, but as you say the tv picture is perfect so its not the tv, I'm wondering if its something I've done or not done during the set up

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 23:20 ----------

Hi hillwalker, the problem definitely points at a problem with the connection. Have you ensured the SCART is connected properly on both ends? Also, the TV might have several SCARTS (although unlikely as it is a new one) try and use the different ones if it does, you might have to switch AV channel to find your DVD player, most modern remotes come with an AV/TV button that should do this for you.

Hi , when I phoned the help line people a bloke talked me through all the av stuff and got me to go through all the settings , it didn't work , it would help abit if I knew what I was doing

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 23:29 ----------

My first point of call would be a new SCART lead rather than buying a new DVD player, it's a considerably cheaper option..[/QUOT

Thankyou for your advice, I have a uview box to connect too( what joy ) when I get the dvd sorted and a spare scart lead came in the package so I tried that yesterday and it made no diff to my problem, but as you say the tv picture is perfect so its not the tv, I'm wondering if its something I've done or not done during the set up

Hi , when I phoned the help line people a bloke talked me through all the av stuff and got me to go through all the settings , it didn't work , it would help abit if I knew what I was doing

Right I've just checked my remote , there's no Av button so looked in settings and can't find anything to do with Av

Edited by hillwalker
adding more

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 23:29 ----------

Right I've just checked my remote , there's no Av button so looked in settings and can't find anything to do with Av

If there is a button with SOURCE on it press that and see if it brings the AV option up.

Definitely sounds like the Scart lead, what you described is sometimes how it looks if the socket is not inserted correctly, but the picture brightening and dimming intermittently isn't really characteristic of a duff cable, it would either work or it wouldn't. Can you take the DVD player to someone else's house with an LCD TV, use the same cable, see if it does the same thing? It could be a processing problem with your new TV.

Sounds like the scart to me too.

I have one you can try. Save you buying one if it dunt work. Let me i know and ill bring it round to you or meet you somewhere with it.

Sounds like the scart to me too.

I have one you can try. Save you buying one if it dunt work. Let me i know and ill bring it round to you or meet you somewhere with it.

Thats very kind of you but am now thinking its not the scart as I'v made more discovories and be told more info

---------- Post added 29-11-2013 at 22:51 ----------

ok so far,, I'm now thinking its not the scart as I've been told that when I set the tv up I should have set the channels ? erm as far as I could tell - it searched and found all the channels itself ( I thought that was it ) also I have no designated dvd channel , if I'm watching BBC1 and put a dvd in it just plays over BBC1 so I have to figure that one out ,

also my tv has a HDMI socket that I'm told is for using the dvd , but my dvd player doesn't have a HDMI socket as its about 15 years old, as confused as I am lol I'm actually learning stuff here - very slowly , I am very greatful for all your replies and advice

Hi

The AV/source button on a Toshiba TV remote is usually marked with a circle with an arrow pointing into it and is usually at the top left of the remote. The DVD 'channel' will not be labelled DVD, it will be labelled by the input type so should be 'SCART'.

if I'm watching BBC1 and put a dvd in it just plays over BBC1 so I have to figure that one out

Scart leads have an auto switching ability which can turn the channel over when play is pressed on the DVD if both the TV and DVD support it, so that'll explain it playing over normal TV.

my tv has a HDMI socket that I'm told is for using the dvd

You have been wrongly informed. The inputs are not allocated to anything in particular, you DVD player is perfectly fine through Scart.

The problems you've described do sound like the Scart lead. Have you actually tried removing it and re connecting it or even turning it around.

If that doesn't work then the problem could be the DVD player. The getting brighter and dimmer problem sounds like the DVD players copyright protection not detecting its connected to a TV. This is the same effect you used to get if you ever tried to copy a copyrighted VHS to VHS. Maybe the same protection was used in the early DVD players.

Edited by steroc

i suggest you buy a new scart lead from the poundshop

I can't see it been the scart lead has it worked perfectly on his older tv.

Maybe check that the lead is inserted properly which I'm guessing he's already done that.

I have a 32' toshiba LCD TV in bed room and there is a button with a circle with an arrow going through which is the source button, with PC,hdmi and scart I don't use scart but I'm guessing it's the circle with the s at side.

Another thing I don't understand is if he's watching bbc1 and puts a DVD in it over rides the channel? I have to go to the source to watch what is connected.

If you live in parson cross I would more than be happy to check it out.

Another thing I don't understand is if he's watching bbc1 and puts a DVD in it over rides the channel? I have to go to the source to watch what is connected.

As I stated above, Scart leads have a connection (pin 8 I think) that is dedicated to switching the source on application of a voltage through that pin, it also auto selects the aspect ratio of the source by passing either 12v(4:3) or 6v(16:9) through the pin. You will be unaware of this feature if you don't use scart.