Another good reason why vigilantism is a really bad idea..

there is - but sadly there will always be violent morons

There's very little I can add - just look at the story.

Perhaps there's a lesson in there for all of us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/vigilante-lee-james-jailed-for-life-for-murdering-bijan-ebrahimi-after-he-was-wrongly-outed-as-paedophile-8969034.html

That poor man had the misfortune to be housed amongst utter pondlife scum.

There was an item about it on Newsnight last night.....I didn't stay up to watch it though.

I find it exasperating that a baying mob of people think taking the law into their own hands is a good idea.

Those who were part of the vigilante gang with Lee James will probably be outraged that someone who they consider as having good intentions was given more more years in jail than 'paedos' :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/vigilante-lee-james-jailed-for-life-for-murdering-bijan-ebrahimi-after-he-was-wrongly-outed-as-paedophile-8969034.html

Only to those inclined towards vigilantism. And the police, for their failures.

Edited by SevenRivers

It's like all the poor guys who happen to be called Ian Watkins right now, including 'H' from Steps. Some people are utter morons.

Some people are utter morons.

Easy to understand when you realise that 50% of people are below average intelligence.

:thumbsup:

Easy to understand when you realise that 50% of people are below average intelligence.

Well said

your quoted figure is 45% too low.

I must agree, a 'good reason why vigilantism is a really bad', although I would have expected a genuine vigilante to have been driven to murder by a genuine sense of moral outrage.

Like the law sometimes vigilanties get it wrong.

Interestingly, I was just about to post a thread about yet another shooting of a robber by a jeweller in France yesterday. Which was not vigilantism as such (in fact, and arguably, clearly a case of self-defense...for once), but demonstrably part of an increasing trend of people taking the law into their own hands.

The common denominator to that and Halibut's OP seems to be the root causes, namely the absence of timely involvement by authorities, and the perceived lack of ever-less hands-on/pro-active/preventive policing/judicial decisions.

Tellingly, the perp gunned down by the jeweller was (again) a serial recidivist with a list of previous as long as both arms, including a 10 year stint for aggravated armed robbery.