Virgin media price increase

I think you have defiantly jumped the gun, since BT, Talk Talk, Sky and all other major providers have all had or are also increasing there prices between Sept - Feb.

Your also losing out by going to freeview when virgin themselves offer a free view service but with no signal issues due to bad weather and also still gives you catch up TV & On Demand for free.

As for finding a new broadband provider, well you'll have to take a telephone line with any other UK provider which all of which are having an increase on line rental so you will pay the same if not more as VM's LR for this, and of course your broadband will be at least 6x slower than it was before due to it being an ADSL line that would be providing it compared the full fibre line VM use. Ooo and don't forget you don't even need a telephone line for Virgin Media's Broadband!

I'd suggest getting back on the phone to VM and cancelling your disconnection. Where else gives you the super fast broadband and instant TV that Virgin Media does? Answer? Nowhere.

Call 150 from your landline and then option 5 option 3 for Customer Relations they will help you cancel your disconnection.

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 16:16 ----------

Did you also see the part in your "changes" letter about your broadband speeds being increased again for free? Did you notice they give you BT Sport & ESPN in HD for FREE compared to the £15 of Sky TV? Did you notice they have integrated Netflix into TiVo boxes so you don't have to pay lots of money watching On Demand Movies (Which may I addd start instantly not 45 mins later once the Sky+ box has downloaded it), although the one demand feature is still there and has movies released on there same day as DVD release?

Did you notice the Free App's Smart Call and Virgin TV Anywhere that they have developed for you?

The FREE HD content?

Time for a phone call I think now my friend.....

I may be wrong but you do need a landline, its the bundle that kills you.

Mine's going up by £5.50 as well, which annoyed me because 2 days ago I had someone call from Virgin Media to see if I wanted a different package. I went for this and there was (obviously) no mention that the prices were going up anyway.

There is no one to beat the speed of Virgin internet

I don't think there's much between Virgin and BT's fibre optic service, is there? Most of BT's resellers (Sky, TalkTalk, UW etc) offer it

Haven't tried them side by side though.

Would be interested to hear from anyone that has used both

I don't think there's much between Virgin and BT's fibre optic service, is there? Most of BT's resellers (Sky, TalkTalk, UW etc) offer it

Haven't tried them side by side though.

Would be interested to hear from anyone that has used both

Well if you watch Watchdog, you'd see there was lots of Openreach customers had them as their providers, and off shoot of BT. Most were left with no BB or phones as OR were/are uncontactable, BT CS is nothing short of garbage.

just got the letter "changes" to your services from vm. works out around ten % so have cancelled. going to get freeview and dab receiver. however will have to find a broadband alternative,or have I jumped the gun a bit?

Don't worry to much virgin will be calling you before ur disconnection date to ask if they can do any more for you, i got rid of my phone line and TiVo because of the last increase, now my 60 meg bb has gone up again £2.50 has I had to take a new contract to just keep my bb. It seams virgin make the prices up has they go along.

What annoys me is I have this 'unlimited phone package' but they charge for anything other than 01 02 etc numbers, I use say no to 0870 but sometimes it's not an option so I end up paying for the damn calls on top of the package.

My Virgin Bb and phone are going up £3 per month, but not to worry as the speed is increasing. I already get 30meg which is plenty fast enough for me.

I jumped the gun a bit?

Possibly on the broadband, their service is pretty good. Otherwise, no, they have nothing else to offer that's worth the money (IMV).

I'm pretty annoyed.

I have a phone line that has been unplugged, a TV service that has been unplugged since I skipped my last TV several years ago.

I like the broadband, but they will not let me have a broadband only package. the only time I use the telephone is when I plug it in again to call virgin to try to get some kind of reduction.

I've got a broadband only package.

What stops you just cancelling the parts you don't want? I used to have phone and BB, but found their phone was more expensive than my mobile so I just removed it. It wasn't a problem.

I thnk Virgin's the only company that does broadband through cable (rather than via the phone line) which I think is better, though ADSL may well have improved since I last used it!

Given that my lodger works for Virgin, it's a no-brainer for me...

I shall be making the call to see if I can reduce this package, our is just going up by £5.50 per month, and then they insult me by telling me all I am getting for this extra money.

I don't care a jot about the sports channel or speed it's fine as it is thanks another £66 per year is a joke. How much extra is everyone elses?

I got the £5.50 letter today & having only signed a new contract with them 6 weeks ago called to see if there was any way to avoid the increase.

The first person I spoke to said there was nothing she could do. I phoned again an hour later to cancel and was told that the increase would not apply to people such as myself who had recently signed a contract in good faith and that the first person I spoke to was wrong in what she told me.

I asked for a manager to call me and explain why two different people had told me different things. The manager called and agreed with the first person I had spoke to, the increase would still apply but as a gesture of goodwill he would apply a credit of £5.50 a month. It seems that no one knows what they are doing and contradict each other.

The manager told me that when you phone to cancel each representative has a daily pot of discounts that they can apply at their discretion. He also likened the communication business to the insurance once which is notorious for chasing new customers at the expense of existing ones.

After having spent 80 minutes speaking to Virgin's three not-wise men and women I've decided to decamp to SKY who have an offer on their website today of 25% off their TV/Broadband packages for disgruntled Virgin Media customers.

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 22:12 ----------

I've got a broadband only package.

What stops you just cancelling the parts you don't want? I used to have phone and BB, but found their phone was more expensive than my mobile so I just removed it. It wasn't a problem.

I asked Virgin if I could drop the home phone line as it is seldom used and just keep TV/Broadband.

As I would no longer be taking out one of their packages by removing the phone line my charges would have increased from £57 a month to £67.

Pay more, get less!