Student To Let Signs

As residents of an area 'enriched' by students we have to deal with a lot of things year in year out that student residents (and those who don't live in such an area) don't often realise.

I do not intend this post to be a -ve post on students. No, this is to seek feedback from all parties on what we are calling the BLIGHT OF THE STUDENT TO LET SIGNS.

On some roads in our area 58% of the houses are let to students. With each property having a To Let board sticking out prominently from the front of the house this can make the whole road look like it's up for sale and that no-one wants to live there, when quite the opposite is the case.

It also causes other problems:-

The nature of these things leads to the road becoming unkempt by our temporary residents and visitors and the signs are a safety and security hazard for the student residents, even the Police agree with this.

These things are often left up ALL YEAR ROUND or at least most of it. Even now, while properties are let for this academic year, the boards are up to advertise for 2014-15 academic year!!! It seems there is a grey area in the regulations about ‘when’ they are advertising for.

Is it time we had more workable rules/regs/protocol for these things like they do in other cities?

(If you or your residents group also want to improve your neighbourhood by the reduction of these signs please PM me so that we may discuss ideas, we are having a meeting on Thursday and would welcome your input).

There is very little that can be done about this. The issue lies with the landlords and they are not legally obliged to take the signs down.

There is very little that can be done about this. The issue lies with the landlords and they are not legally obliged to take the signs down.

Yes they are.

There are Planning Regulations that limit the duration of such signs to the period of empty properties to let.

why dont you contact the poly and the uni to tell them about the problem backed up with police support? They could have a code of practice. Its importnat for landlords to be on their recommended list, so threat of not being on it might reduce the signage.

further research says contact council planning. you would prob need to keep a diary. also getting other residents on your side as a perition as well.

The board must be removed not later than 14 days after completion of the sale or granting of the tenancy, but that dpesnt deal with your complaint of them putting a sign up too early..

Edited by 999tigger

Sounds like the council need to get off their arse and enforce the rules.

Sounds like the council need to get off their arse and enforce the rules.

No. Unlikely. They're only interested in motorists and their revenue. They daren't upset the Hand That Feeds.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes they are.

There are Planning Regulations that limit the duration of such signs to the period of empty properties to let.

didn't realise that!

the 'poly' has been a university since 1992.

that aside, the universities are well aware of the dangers that these signs have for their residents but unfortunately there is little that can be done about it.

it is mainly the residents themselves that suffer as they are a target for burglars..

I recommend talking to both universities unions as oppose to the universities themselves as they are more concerned with the student safety aspect of uni life.

the 'poly' has been a university since 1992.

that aside, the universities are well aware of the dangers that these signs have for their residents but unfortunately there is little that can be done about it.

it is mainly the residents themselves that suffer as they are a target for burglars..

I recommend talking to both universities unions as oppose to the universities themselves as they are more concerned with the student safety aspect of uni life.

She has to show them she has a point first.

Will always be the poly to me. I'm aware it has Uni status now, but if you ask most people where the Uni is they will refer to Sheffield University and not Hallam.

Edited by 999tigger

What are nist people???

I don't know how many of the landlords are actually affiliated in any way with the university anyway.

I don't ever remember talking to the Uni about student accommodation, and around Ecclesall road area most landlords are associated with Claypenny (from what I remember years back)

Hi Shelleyis, could you please tell me more about the meeting on Thursday, or can I contact with you by Email?:D