Would you live in S5

Why don't you elaborate on what roads etc it will help.

I think the OP has? Albeit not at the start the thread which would have been helpful.

"We are looking to rent but with a budget of £550 a month, how is lindsay avenue and ecclesfield road?"

So to answer the question, would i live in S5? Yes, most definitely.

Would i live at lindsay avenue and/or ecclesfield road? No, i wouldn't, but that's just my personal opinion.

My GF lives around Hillside Ave and that seems ok

i moved (in the summer) from S6 Walkley to S5 Wordsworth Ave, not an ounce of trouble (unlike walkley) and my car insurance came down and i got a refund :D

I bought a house on parson cross years ago and everyone warned us against it saying how bad the area is, but likewise it was a case of balancing affordability with happiness. As has been said there are good areas and bad but things change. Some of the roads are also extremely long, so one end could be entirely different to another!

My advice is do what we did, visit the area at different times and days, for example friday/saturday nights when kids might be hanging about etc. place we bought was near a pub but after a few times checking the place out we found it to always be quiet. I lived there 4 years with no trouble whatsoever. Peoples perspectives will all be different depending what people are used to, so check it out for yourself. - Maybe even try talking to the next door neighbours of the houses you're seriously interested in? afterall these are potentially the people you will have as your neighbours

good luck :)

what areas in S5 would you avoid?

All the ones with a post code starting S5.

S5 has extremes. a certain street can be heaven, next street can be hell. Right next to each other.

Also Parson cross is different from firth park and firth park is not same as page hall

Edited by dutch

I've lived at Lane Top for 3 years or so now and can't fault it.

I wouldn't like to live in any of the surrounding areas however.

i moved (in the summer) from S6 Walkley to S5 Wordsworth Ave, not an ounce of trouble (unlike walkley) and my car insurance came down and i got a refund :D

So true, I know a couple that couldn't wait to move away from Walkley, ended up moving near Shirecliffe and they said it's loads better.

Good and bad in every area, and you also get what you pay for, but decent areas are always targeted by the scrotes as well.

I saw one in S5 with an asking price of £400,000 this year, S5 is not just Page Hall.

That was for the entire district of S5 :hihi:

---------- Post added 30-11-2013 at 22:00 ----------

So true, I know a couple that couldn't wait to move away from Walkley, ended up moving near Shirecliffe and they said it's loads better.

Good and bad in every area, and you also get what you pay for, but decent areas are always targeted by the scrotes as well.

Its like most areas there are good and bad. A friend of mine lives just off South Road I think it is and his house and car insurance are through the roof, yet a work colleague of mind lives further down the hill and towards the Walkley cottage and another further down Walkley Lane and its lovely, very friendly and generally nice. Personally I wouldn't live at Shirecliffe but its each to their own. There's a nice estate up there with 2-3 year old houses and they're always up for sale, you can get a 4 bed detached property almost as cheap as a terrace elsewhere, unfortunately its surrounded by a not too nice estate, as I said each to their own

Ecclesfield road is where I live, great view from my house with the field and green rolls of hills in the distance.

S5 in general is not a bad area, it's just so big it that everything that happens bad usually has S5 tied to it.

Like anywhere you will get bad and good parts but down here near the main road is a nice spot.

Its like most areas there are good and bad. A friend of mine lives just off South Road I think it is and his house and car insurance are through the roof, yet a work colleague of mind lives further down the hill and towards the Walkley cottage .........

I'm confused.

The Walkley Cottage is up the hill from South Road unless there has been a landslide that has been kept quiet.