Con-Men in Wadsley Bridge Area?

i. the government have just sold off outstanding student loan debts to a debt collection agency. the caller may be trying to establish if the student is earning and thus whether they have any chance of collecting any of the outstanding loan.

2. should not have given any info regarding your brother to these people. its not yours to divulge and your brother will not be too happy, especially when these gangsters track him down and confront him with all the details you have supplied them with.

3. a lot of info he gave to you could have come from your bins, either from your doorstep or wherever the council dumped all the papers your brother threw out when his college ended. they have used this to convince you as to who they say they are.

4. people with fancy cars have usually hired / bought them with ill gotten gains.

5. speak to the police. dont suppose you wrote down the number plate?

6. find the number for sheffield futures and ring them to ask what their business is.

7. tell your brother what has happened.

8. always take the I.D. card from the caller, say "i'll just check this out." close and lock the door. then search the net for the company's number and call them to verify the callers I.D. a genuine caller will wait, impatiently usually, while you do this. a fraudster will refuse to hand it over and leave quickly.

9. expect a phone call to find out when you are in and out. (as your girlfriend established)

10. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

From the look of their website they seem to be some sort of careers organisation for young people. Doesnt look like its student debt.

I doubt I would have told them anything, especially details. If he'd have pushed id have told him to leave immediately. I might have taken their details or contact so the brother could have contacted them if need be.

Its done now, but contact them to find out what they are up to and tell them of your experience and suggest they should explain themselves better, plus not be so pushy. They should make clear who they are and what they want. Its very unusual these days to have people knocking at your door imo. If you are unhappy with the response then complain to the police or trading standards.

You should tell your brother.

One good thing is that you have put other people on alert.

i. the government have just sold off outstanding student loan debts to a debt collection agency. the caller may be trying to establish if the student is earning and thus whether they have any chance of collecting any of the outstanding loan.

The payments for student loans are stopped at source. This hasn't changed with the sale of the loans (nor have they be sold to small companies).

2. should not have given any info regarding your brother to these people. its not yours to divulge and your brother will not be too happy, especially when these gangsters track him down and confront him with all the details you have supplied them with.

Gangsters now.

3. a lot of info he gave to you could have come from your bins, either from your doorstep or wherever the council dumped all the papers your brother threw out when his college ended. they have used this to convince you as to who they say they are.

4. people with fancy cars have usually hired / bought them with ill gotten gains.

Yes, all people with fancy cars are criminals.

6. find the number for sheffield futures and ring them to ask what their business is.

8. always take the I.D. card from the caller, say "i'll just check this out." close and lock the door. then search the net for the company's number and call them to verify the callers I.D. a genuine caller will wait, impatiently usually, while you do this. a fraudster will refuse to hand it over and leave quickly.

9. expect a phone call to find out when you are in and out. (as your girlfriend established)

10. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Most of this is good advice, but with some rather excessive paranoia regarding gangsters and decent cars.

i. the government have just sold off outstanding student loan debts to a debt collection agency.

They only sold them yesterday, that'd be some fast work! It's also only the loans from 1990 to 1997 that have been sold (so far), so it won't affect anyone who took student loans after then.

It sounds like he was legit, although his manner was a bit much. I'd guess there's some kind of funding issue and they need to establish what you're brother's doing now to prove they're meeting their targets.

10. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Thats right.All drivers of black BMWs are drug dealers-well known fact.:loopy:

The student loans were from the 90s and were uni loans. I suspect this is probably genuine. If Sheffield Futures have put him on a placement then he's gone incommunicado then they won't be able to collect on the government funding for placing him. I imagine that there have been several failed attempts by phone and letter before they did this.

Your visitor was more than likely a youth worker from Sheffield futures. They have a database of all young people who leave year 11 and are responsible for offering support to them up to 19 years old, be that with finding college places to apprenticeships and job opportunity. They also have a responsibility to track NEETs (not in education/employment/training) and to help them.

They came to my house after my son dropped out of A levels to catch up on what he's doing, no biggy really, I told them he was in work and all is well, they took a few details and were on their way with the reminder to tell my son he can call them if he needs any help or support career or education related.

Hi there

I work for Sheffield Futures and the team which undertakes this work is a multi-agency service called Community Youth Teams (CYT). The reason we get in touch with a young person is to ask the young person we are working with if they are in education, employment or training. We are required to do this by the government. Our aim is to help the young person into education, employment or training. To clarify what we do and the process we take, all our CYT staff are required to wear their identification badge which is shown when the worker makes a house call. Before this even happens though, the CYT worker will try to make contact with the young person via a phone call. If the young person cannot be contacted this way, the young person will receive a letter which gives the young person another opportunity to provide the information needed. The worker will never call round a young person's home without first phoning or writing to them. Once a call has been made to a young person's home and the young person is still not available, the CYT worker will leave service information and contact details.

Above all, this is about providing an opportunity for the young person to get the right help should they need it.

Thanks