Moving to sheffield

Hi, me and my family will be relocating to Sheffield in January. As we are not from the area we don't really have any ideas about good and bad areas to live. Please could I have some advise on where is decent to live that is not too far from the city, close to local transport links and in a nice residential area. We have a budget of about £500 per month for rent.

Thanks in advance

How many rooms? Not too far? you mean walking distance? More info is needed really.

Meersbrook, Crookes, Walkley, all nice but you won't get much for £500.

Hi, 3 bedrooms, doesn't really need to be walking distance a 10-20 min drive would be ok

Try Ecclesfield where we live. It used to be a village but now part of the city. It's a way out but not more than 15 mins by car from the centre although that depends on traffic. Also very near J35 of the M1 which can be useful and fairly near Meadowhall (not so useful)

It's not fashionable but that means lower rents. Also well away from the universities which create demand for rental properties and push the prices up.

If you want any more info, just ask

Should be able to get a 3 bedroom place in Woodseats. Good area, moved here from London myself 4 years ago. Close to city centre but on the right side of Sheffield to get out to the countryside if that's your thing. People moan about the traffic but you get that on any of the main roads into Sheffield. Good bus links, schools, loads of shops and places to eat.

Hillsborough would probably fit the bill, you'd be on a tram route then too. Never lived there but sure someone else on here will be along shortly to tell you all about it. There's lots of threads like this one on here already so have a search, these threads usually end up with everyone saying how nice it is where they live (as I just have). Then someone suggests you come up for a visit and have a look round some of the areas that have been suggested.

Good luck with the move!

I live in Sharrow now and pay £550 for a 3 bed Victorian town house. I really love it here, it's a busy multi-cultural area with great restaurants and local shops and 10 minutes walk into the city centre and the new markets.

Being a multi-cultural area it has a lot of detractors on here and crime is quite high being an inner city area but I really like how you've got people from every corner of the World here and it feels more like living in London (no wonder some hate it!).

Personally though if I had a young family with your budget I would move just down the road to Meersbrook or Woodseats. Both are just that little bit quieter but have great parks and local shops still. Woodseats has quite bad traffic but a great high street and more supermarkets than you can shake a stick at. Both are pretty perfect for family life, and with your budget you should (just) be able to rent a 3 bed terrace.

Thanks for the advice I will keep those areas in mind

---------- Post added 28-11-2013 at 18:15 ----------

Try Ecclesfield where we live. It used to be a village but now part of the city. It's a way out but not more than 15 mins by car from the centre although that depends on traffic. Also very near J35 of the M1 which can be useful and fairly near Meadowhall (not so useful)

It's not fashionable but that means lower rents. Also well away from the universities which create demand for rental properties and push the prices up.

If you want any more info, just ask

I've seen a house on Ecclesfield road, but asked about that street on here and was told it was full of crack heads! so put me off lol