The New Moor Market

But the stalls are half empty with more closing by the week:|

Well perhaps the traders might want to try selling something that people actually want to buy. Maybe they could try offering a product which has a price, quality, uniqueness or service level different to your average supermarket or variety store. Maybe they could try offering opening hours, customer service, payment methods and general facilities which would enable us shoppers to use them outside of the usual 9.00 - 4.00 cash only nonsense.

You have to generate demand. You have to offer something that will attract shoppers away from their usual stores.

How much longer are they going to sit there offering NOTHING different to any other shop and simply blame the council.

The council have done their bit. They have built them a nice shiny new market hall. They have moved masses of their workers into a building right next to the new market. A whole new generation of footfall is right on their doorsteps. More footfall which WILL come in due course once the rest of the project is finished. In the meantime, look around. Hundreds of new student apartments have been built within a few minutes walk of the market. Students without cars. Students who need to shop local. Students with money in their pocket and a whole world of potential different tastes and demands.

Its the traders turn to pull their fingers out and start capturing these customers. Enough with the woe is me nonsense. Castle Market has gone. Let it die in peace. Get on with looking to the future.

The traders need to ask themselves. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with these students. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with those office workers each and every day. What are they offering that the market doesn't. What could the market offer that those stores cant.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Well perhaps the traders might want to try selling something that people actually want to buy. Maybe they could try offering a product which has a price, quality, uniqueness or service level different to your average supermarket or variety store. Maybe they could try offering opening hours, customer service, payment methods and general facilities which would enable us shoppers to use them outside of the usual 9.00 - 4.00 cash only nonsense.

You have to generate demand. You have to offer something that will attract shoppers away from their usual stores.

How much longer are they going to sit there offering NOTHING different to any other shop and simply blame the council.

The council have done their bit. They have built them a nice shiny new market hall. They have moved masses of their workers into a building right next to the new market. A whole new generation of footfall is right on their doorsteps. More footfall which WILL come in due course once the rest of the project is finished. In the meantime, look around. Hundreds of new student apartments have been built within a few minutes walk of the market. Students without cars. Students who need to shop local. Students with money in their pocket and a whole world of potential different tastes and demands.

Its the traders turn to pull their fingers out and start capturing these customers. Enough with the woe is me nonsense. Castle Market has gone. Let it die in peace. Get on with looking to the future.

The traders need to ask themselves. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with these students. Why is Waitrose and Sainsburys heaving with those office workers each and every day. What are they offering that the market doesn't. What could the market offer that those stores cant.

Maybe, just maybe it is in the wrong place trying to cater for the wrong customer base, The Ecclesall Road type are not Market shoppers when it was in the old Market area the folk who used it used it to do their shopping every day. repeat customers.

Edited by timex

I agree , all this talk about lack of transport is a myth , the council and the s.y.p.t.e arranged for bus routes to be altered to accommodate the Market , lots of bus'es stop outside the market , but a lot of people want free travel , I.e the freebee , it's not far to walk and there's plenty of transport , no excuse not to try it out .

I dont think its much about lack of transport but more about changing routine. I liked where the old market was because it was easily accessible to the tram route and there was other stores that I used nearby. Wilko, PO, Fultons, Heron, B&M, Primark, Argos, 99p shop and many others. Off the tram, do shopping and get on the tram back home.

I now only go to the market when I need to go to that area as there is not much else of interest. Many older people like myself cant be bothered to get off the tram and then get a bus just to go to the market even though most have a bus pass. Like me many have tried it and found its no longer worth the hassle.

If SCC had done some market research beforehand then they probably would have picked up on this, but again they just did what they wanted and it has seriously backfired.

In 1996 it was announced that a new market was to be built on the actual site of Sheaf Market. Quote by the then Sheffield City Council Leader, Mike Bower, "Sheffield Markets are the economic heart of the Castlegate area. The redevelopment of the markets provides an exciting opportunity to create a landmark attraction that will reinvigorate the social and economic welfare of the city centre."

Abandoning that idea is proving to be a big mistake.

Maybe, just maybe it is in the wrong place trying to cater for the wrong customer base, The Ecclesall Road type are not Market shoppers when it was in the old Market area the folk who used it used it to do their shopping every day. repeat customers.

Where did I say anything about the "Ecclesall Road types". I was talking about city workers who are walking distance away from it. I am talking about students who live a few minutes walk from it. I am talking about the same people who shop in the city centre and would be passing it as part of their routes in any event. Not every market shopper lives at the North end of the city.

You are not seriously going to tell me that the fact it has moved from one part of a city to another - ALONG THE SAME BUS ROUTES - has really put off those "loyal" "repeat" customers from going. If they are that loyal and repeat why they hell aren't they shopping there.

I am trying to give reasons why the market traders are not attracting business. I am trying to give examples of the opportunities staring them in the face which they are choosing to ignore. I am trying to give reasons why they are not evolving to meet the demands to TODAYS shoppers.

Face facts, the old skool loyal, repeat, "salt of the earth" market customers are dying off. Time has moved on and shopping habits have changed. Like it or not, Castle Market and Haymarket will be changing. The entire shopping area is moving to the Moor and surrounding area. That is where the footfall is going to be. Other shops will be following and leaving the area to head to the Moor. One major anchor is a definite move and another will be sure to follow. Their new home is currently being built as we speak.

If those people cannot be bothered to go two extra stops on a bus to support their beloved market traders then they clearly weren't that loyal.

The council has to future plan and the decision about the market was a part of that. It was clear that there was no point refurbishing Castle Market when the surrounding shops were going to be moved. It would stick out like a sore thumb and end up being a completely pointless location.

---------- Post added 25-10-2015 at 23:42 ----------

I dont think its much about lack of transport but more about changing routine. I liked where the old market was because it was easily accessible to the tram route and there was other stores that I used nearby. Wilko, PO, Fultons, Heron, B&M, Primark, Argos, 99p shop and many others. Off the tram, do shopping and get on the tram back home.

I now only go to the market when I need to go to that area as there is not much else of interest. Many older people like myself cant be bothered to get off the tram and then get a bus just to go to the market even though most have a bus pass. Like me many have tried it and found its no longer worth the hassle.

If SCC had done some market research beforehand then they probably would have picked up on this, but again they just did what they wanted and it has seriously backfired.

In 1996 it was announced that a new market was to be built on the actual site of Sheaf Market. Quote by the then Sheffield City Council Leader, Mike Bower, "Sheffield Markets are the economic heart of the Castlegate area. The redevelopment of the markets provides an exciting opportunity to create a landmark attraction that will reinvigorate the social and economic welfare of the city centre."

Abandoning that idea is proving to be a big mistake.

I don't understand what the "market research" would be. Shopping was moving to a central location away from Castlegate. That decision was made decades ago and I suspect was in response to the frequent complaints and one upmanship with other cities about why all their shopping is nicely compact and centralised.

Castlegate has always been earmarked for change and its happening. The entire purpose of it will be different and Castle Market simply did not fit in any longer.

The tram stops at west street, city hall all within a few minutes walk to the market location. People with mobility issues would choose to get a bus in any event. I simply don't buy this lack of tram access excuse.

You curiously say that you find it "no longer worth the hassle" so I have to ask - what is missing? What are the traders NOT offering at The Moor that seemingly they were offering at Castlegate.

Same market offering, same range of discount stores/household stores/supermarket and department stores as what would have been available around Castlegate. Add Primark in due course and you have almost the same offering???

Edited by ECCOnoob

Where did I say anything about the "Ecclesall Road types". I was talking about city workers who are walking distance away from it. I am talking about students who live a few minutes walk from it. I am talking about the same people who shop in the city centre and would be passing it as part of their routes in any event. Not every market shopper lives at the North end of the city.

You are not seriously going to tell me that the fact it has moved from one part of a city to another - ALONG THE SAME BUS ROUTES - has really put off those "loyal" "repeat" customers from going. If they are that loyal and repeat why they hell aren't they shopping there.

I am trying to give reasons why the market traders are not attracting business. I am trying to give examples of the opportunities staring them in the face which they are choosing to ignore. I am trying to give reasons why they are not evolving to meet the demands to TODAYS shoppers.

Face facts, the old skool loyal, repeat, "salt of the earth" market customers are dying off. Time has moved on and shopping habits have changed. Like it or not, Castle Market and Haymarket will be changing. The entire shopping area is moving to the Moor and surrounding area. That is where the footfall is going to be. Other shops will be following and leaving the area to head to the Moor. One major anchor is a definite move and another will be sure to follow. Their new home is currently being built as we speak.

If those people cannot be bothered to go two extra stops on a bus to support their beloved market traders then they clearly weren't that loyal.

The council has to future plan and the decision about the market was a part of that. It was clear that there was no point refurbishing Castle Market when the surrounding shops were going to be moved. It would stick out like a sore thumb and end up being a completely pointless location.

---------- Post added 25-10-2015 at 23:42 ----------

I don't understand what the "market research" would be. Shopping was moving to a central location away from Castlegate. That decision was made decades ago and I suspect was in response to the frequent complaints and one upmanship with other cities about why all their shopping is nicely compact and centralised.

Castlegate has always been earmarked for change and its happening. The entire purpose of it will be different and Castle Market simply did not fit in any longer.

The tram stops at west street, city hall all within a few minutes walk to the market location. People with mobility issues would choose to get a bus in any event. I simply don't buy this lack of tram access excuse.

You curiously say that you find it "no longer worth the hassle" so I have to ask - what is missing? What are the traders NOT offering at The Moor that seemingly they were offering at Castlegate.

Same market offering, same range of discount stores/household stores/supermarket and department stores as what would have been available around Castlegate. Add Primark in due course and you have almost the same offering???

So the new Market has moved to the City centre:help::hihi:.

You also must have some inside info on the Castlegate shops moving? perhaps you can tell us where Wilkinsons and B@M are going on the Moor they will need very big units to compare with the one they already occupy .

Because its NOT along the same bus routes and has no tram nearby.

Whether you buy it or not the truth is it has compounded the problem. I think you need a new watch as well.. The average walker could get to the markets from West street tram stop in around 11 minutes if lucky, older people could not. People with mobility issues who just to used the tram also could not and would need to get a tram and then change to a bus when before the tram served the market well and made access to it easier.

See above for part of the answer.

Same market offering, same range of discount stores/household stores/supermarket and department stores as what would have been available around Castlegate.

The surrounding area also does not have the same types of stores that was and still is around Castlegate. The small fruit and veg stall next to Wilko has seen a big increase in sales since the market moved for the simple reason people still like shopping in that area.

Once again it is another epic fail of SCC to consult.

Its about time people got used to the markets new location I personally love the new market it is clean and if you had worked in the old castle market you would have never bought any food items after seeing Rats running through the produce in the middle of the night as I have ! For gods sake give it a chance the new shops will be open soon further up the moor.;)

People keep moaning about it not being conveniently accessible from the tram, the tram only serves half of the city, I only get to use the tram half-a-dozen times a year, I used the Castle market and now use the new market.

That doesn't alter the fact that some people did use the tram to get to the market and easy access to the market was one of the sells for the tram.

So its definitely a factor, although if its a major factor is unknown.

The new market also has a lot more competition with Sainsburys nearby.

Do not underestimate the convenience factor. When its quicker/easier to go somewhere else other than the market, that will drive some people away.

Edited by AlexAtkin

That doesn't alter the fact that some people did use the tram to get to the market and easy access to the market was one of the sells for the tram.

So its definitely a factor, although if its a major factor is unknown.

The new market also has a lot more competition with Sainsburys nearby.

Do not underestimate the convenience factor. When its quicker/easier to go somewhere else other than the market, that will drive some people away.

The old market had Coop, Wilkinson, B&M, Heron and Primark all nearby.