The New Moor Market

Ive had people say the same thing to me but when questioned have admitted that they drive to Meadowhall most weeks.

isn't that the point? they drive there.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 16:26 ----------

Why the others quit is a good question as i'm unsure as to why you'd quite during a rent free period without giving it a real chance.

I think a lot of the old stall holders and some of the newer ones believed that as soon as they opened the place was going to be rammed from day one but anyone in business knows you have to build your customer base.

i thought the place was rammed from day one and trade has dwindled since. certainly the intial reports were of visitor numbers in excess of the 100,000 predicted. it seems folk went and decided it wasn't worth their while shopping there on a regular basis. it might be parking, convenience, location, price, or goods on sale. but something is keeping them away.

in contrast meadowhall is doing very well and when i visit other markets they always seem busy.

I think a lot of the old stall holders and some of the newer ones believed that as soon as they opened the place was going to be rammed from day one but anyone in business knows you have to build your customer base.

The problem there is that most stallholders that transferred from the old to the new market already had a good customer base. The question then begs as to why a lot of that customer base didn't transfer to shopping in the new market.

The problem there is that most stallholders that transferred from the old to the new market already had a good customer base. The question then begs as to why a lot of that customer base didn't transfer to shopping in the new market.

the other question is what would happen if the 41 empty stalls were filled. i'm thinking that if another butcher set up alongside your butchers stall it is unlikely that your takings would increase.

By moving the market even a yard down the road routines were broken, people who made inconvenient bus rides to Castle Market found that there was something nearer that offered the same thing. The traders now have to work on gaining a new customer base from a population in the city centre which is actually growing but is a fair bit different from their previous customers.

By moving the market even a yard down the road routines were broken, people who made inconvenient bus rides to Castle Market found that there was something nearer that offered the same thing. The traders now have to work on gaining a new customer base from a population in the city centre which is actually growing but is a fair bit different from their previous customers.

What they have gained is a huge student population that live in that side of the city that walk through The Moor to get home/Uni etc

I wouldve thought that they would be more concious of shopping for 'local produce'

Ive had people say the same thing to me but when questioned have admitted that they drive to Meadowhall most weeks.

The problem with the market is it isnt really selling anything that you cant get elsewhere. Most people get their meat, fruit & veg at the supermarket.

A market may be an outdated concept...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think that about sums it up.

This may come as a surprise but stall holders don't generally offer up their balance sheets for public consumption.

However the fact these stalls are able to pay for multiple members of staff and deliveries of stock everyday on top of the many holidays etc they're taking is a good indication they're doing well.

Speaking to the stall holders in here there's the odd one who is negative but you get that anywhere.

Why the others quit is a good question as i'm unsure as to why you'd quite during a rent free period without giving it a real chance.

The new market is a wonderful building but some how does not have the cosy friendly feeling that the one at Castlegate had.

The new market is a wonderful building but some how does not have the cosy friendly feeling that the one at Castlegate had.

Or the stench

What they have gained is a huge student population that live in that side of the city that walk through The Moor to get home/Uni etc

I wouldve thought that they would be more concious of shopping for 'local produce'

Students like their food the same way they like their women / men - fast, I don't buy into the idea that students are more conscientious shoppers and it's probably the first time they've cooked for themselves so they are probably playing it safe at Sainsbury's.

Students like their food the same way they like their women / men - fast, I don't buy into the idea that students are more conscientious shoppers and it's probably the first time they've cooked for themselves so they are probably playing it safe at Sainsbury's.

So who do you think is the markets customer demographic?

do students shop in the markets? i spent my time eating in the refec, pubs and buying the leftovers from the local takeaway at closing time. if i wanted anything else i usually sent a begging letter to the folks and collected it when i went home.

Or the stench

How do you expect a place where fresh meat and fish are sold not to smell. I much prefer their meat to supermarket meat.