The New Moor Market

I disagee. I don't think it's "a flop and a farce" at all. I admit that it's far, far from perfect and needs quite a bit of tinkering and improvement before it can claim to be a proper, indoor urban city market, but I think that, generally, it's heart is in the right place and that it already has a lot going for it. Great for fresh meat, fish, bread and cakes, fruit and veg. My mum loves the stalls that sell knitting wool, buttons etc. I like the posh craft beer shop, near the main entrance from the Moor...even though it is bloody expensive! I like the general vibe when I go into the Moor Market and I reckon that with a bit more patience and support from us - and a bit less negativity - it could do really, really well. It just needs a bit more time and patience....

You're not from round here are you?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I disagee. I don't think it's "a flop and a farce" at all. I admit that it's far, far from perfect and needs quite a bit of tinkering and improvement before it can claim to be a proper, indoor urban city market, but I think that, generally, it's heart is in the right place and that it already has a lot going for it. Great for fresh meat, fish, bread and cakes, fruit and veg. My mum loves the stalls that sell knitting wool, buttons etc. I like the posh craft beer shop, near the main entrance from the Moor...even though it is bloody expensive! I like the general vibe when I go into the Moor Market and I reckon that with a bit more patience and support from us - and a bit less negativity - it could do really, really well. It just needs a bit more time and patience....
I kinda agree with lots of this in terms of "an iindividual's shopping experience". However in terms of sustainability, it ain't got the footfall. It's not exactly bustling with shoppers and lots of stalls are vacant. So as much as it has many positive aspects, long term, the financials wont add up - for the stall holders and for the council. Realism over-rides blind optimism I'm afraid

Well said FIRETHORN 1. I live on my own so only shop in the Market occasionally but when I need meat of some kind I have my favourite stall and they lick Tesco all round on quality and price.

I kinda agree with lots of this in terms of "an iindividual's shopping experience". However in terms of sustainability, it ain't got the footfall. It's not exactly bustling with shoppers and lots of stalls are vacant. So as much as it has many positive aspects, long term, the financials wont add up - for the stall holders and for the council. Realism over-rides blind optimism I'm afraid

If we're thinking long term then we should at least allow the medium term developments (cinema, restaurants over the road and the parade of shops next door) to finish on The Moor before we write off the viability of the market. When all is said and done if footfall hasn't started going back up by the end of 2017 the council will need a new plan for the building and the stall holders new plans for their businesses.

If we're thinking long term then we should at least allow the medium term developments (cinema, restaurants over the road and the parade of shops next door) to finish on The Moor before we write off the viability of the market. When all is said and done if footfall hasn't started going back up by the end of 2017 the council will need a new plan for the building and the stall holders new plans for their businesses.

what about stall holders who go bust in 2016. isn't the end of 2017 rather late to start looking at a new plan for their business.

seriously, you are saying give it ANOTHER 2 years before its deemed a failure ? its failed now , even with the mythical list of thousands that want a stall to quote leigh bramall.

seriously, you are saying give it ANOTHER 2 years before its deemed a failure ? its failed now , even with the mythical list of thousands that want a stall to quote leigh bramall.

Yes, but only because if the Moor market closes I don't think the council will be interested in building something else and even if they were only a fool would finance it.

what about stall holders who go bust in 2016. isn't the end of 2017 rather late to start looking at a new plan for their business.

As far as I'm aware stallholders are autonomous human beings able to make decisions about their businesses before the council does, from what has been said about rent on here most stallholders ought to be able fund a shop in the suburbs and at a stretch in the centre. If failing businesses are waiting for the council to save them, they'll be waiting forever.

The Moor Market isn't going to close down. The council are committed to it and the Moor area. They'll do something to ensure it stays open and will succeed eventually.

Many of the stallholders have seen an increase in turnover since moving to the Moor Market. The ones that haven't have either already gone or considering going and probably wont be missed a few weeks or months later.

I go three times a week and life goes on.........

Indeed.

Things only succeed in business if they are the cheapest or the best. At the moment the Moor Market is neither.

The way to succeed is actually to go upmarket/artisan and appeal to all the west Sheffielders, who are already driving nearby to Waitrose. Late night opening and more/free carparking would help it a lot

This should be its model: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/

Please remove have posted on wrong discussion

Its surviving, but limping along really. id think most stalls are making less money than in Castle. A few seem to be always busy. They are banking a lot on the new development next to Debenhams bringing in more footfall next year. Its a mystery how some of the stalls survive as id think their turnover is very low.

Its surviving, but limping along really. id think most stalls are making less money than in Castle. A few seem to be always busy. They are banking a lot on the new development next to Debenhams bringing in more footfall next year. Its a mystery how some of the stalls survive as id think their turnover is very low.

The market footfall may not be what they'd predicted but the spend per customer is a lot higher so turnover for most is vastly up

The market footfall may not be what they'd predicted but the spend per customer is a lot higher so turnover for most is vastly up

How do you know this , a lot of the stallholders are surviving because the council are subsidising their rents until 2017 , that mean's the council tax payers are propping up private business's , is that a good use of tax payers money when other services are being cut . The Butchers and Bakers and Candlestick Makers in the Market are rubbing their hands , sod the Nursing homes closing down .