The New Moor Market

been in there once since it opened not been back since

I was a part of the bricklaying gang on the there and we never used any stone on the job.

Hi

Am i understanding you correctly, are you saying that i have been misinformed? and that there isn't any of the old castle stone in any of the build of the old castle market?

I inquired about a stall in the market when it first opened, I was told everything had to be done online, I was passed the tiniest piece of paper with a website on it, handwritten. The piece of paper was about 0.8mm by about 12cm.

When looking to open a stall, one would expect to be able fill in an a4 form, make a small payment and trade straight away on the day.

You wouldn't expect to be directed online and especially not by a scrap of paper with a handwritten website address.

That's how it works at Bakewell market, you can turn up on the day and sell as a casual trader if there's a stall available and you have liability insurance.

For Sheffield market a five year business plan had to be prepared.

The ironic thing is that the business plan would be assessed by the very people who's business plan for the new market is in tatters after less than two years.

Hi

Am i understanding you correctly, are you saying that i have been misinformed? and that there isn't any of the old castle stone in any of the build of the old castle market?

Yes ,as far as I remember no reclaimed materials were used or instructed by the Architects on what was a NEW build .

The council do know whats is under the old market we did it in school in the 50s, they also used some stone fron the old castle to build the old market as well, what they want to do now is excavate it and try and make it a tourist area.

Is this what your school teacher was talking about? http://friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk/castlegate-1972/

I remember seeing bits of the old castle sticking out of that banking when I was a child.

You may find downloading this file interesting.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/planning/archaeology/Sheffield-Castle_SYAD_EDAS_talk/Sheffield%20Castle_SYAD_EDAS_talk.pdf

Is this what your school teacher was talking about? http://friendsofsheffieldcastle.org.uk/castlegate-1972/

I remember seeing bits of the old castle sticking out of that banking when I was a child.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/planning/archaeology/Sheffield-Castle_SYAD_EDAS_talk/Sheffield%20Castle_SYAD_EDAS_talk.pdf

Yes that was there as well as a section of rubble below the loading bay.

Neither .

bits of rubble where ever used in the building of Castle Market.

Cheers Blackbeard

I new my memory wasnt playing tricks, i think they may well be some in the foundations as well.

From Post 2007

Originally Posted by cuttsie View Post

Where about's was that stone used on the building of the Castle Market.

kidley

Dont know we just got told about it from our teacher, didnt go into details of where the stones were used just that they were.

Just as an after thought if you walk up Blonk Street going towards the station, on the right hand side there was/is what looked like a concrete slope upto the market railings, the slope is/was about 6 foot long, i think there was some of the old castle stone in that.

Edited by kidley

Wish people would stop moaning about the Moor Market. It's self fulfilling prophecy-moan about it enough and it'll never succeed. I cannot believe people seem to actively want the Moor Market to fail and seemingly will take delight in its doing so. Some people need to have a serious think about their attitude.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

design and build useless structures at extortionate prices and force the population to go there and smile for the cameras when they come out. it worked for don valley stadium. oh hang on.

Speaking purely for myself, I didn't use the old market because it was in such an awful area of the city that you feared for your safety/your valuables when you set foot there, and the streets were full of what could only be described as lowlife scum. I don't use the NEW market because it closes before I finish work, and it doesn't open Sundays, therefore unless I am on my annual leave from work, I can't go in!

Speaking purely for myself, I didn't use the old market because it was in such an awful area of the city that you feared for your safety/your valuables when you set foot there, and the streets were full of what could only be described as lowlife scum. I don't use the NEW market because it closes before I finish work, and it doesn't open Sundays, therefore unless I am on my annual leave from work, I can't go in!

Describe these low life scum that used the old Market ,A place you did not set foot in by the sounds of things.

I went in on Friday,it seemed quite busy,its a pity there seems to be more stalls empty

than full,when and before it opened we were told there was a big waiting list,whats happened to all them?it needs help quick before scc sell off and its gone for ever.

Describe these low life scum that used the old Market ,A place you did not set foot in by the sounds of things.

They were not talking about people who USED the market. They were talking about some of the types of people who frequented the area it was situated in.

An area where drunks, drug users, chavs, shoplifters and general delinquents would frequent. The low life types who would loiter around the market in between their trips from the bookies, pubs, cash converters, another pub, magistrates court and dole office.

The area was in decay. The areas was becoming more and more distanced from the rest of the prime retail. It was clearly not going to last.

It was a dump. Modern day customers were avoiding it in their droves.

More sensible people quite rightly made a decision that it had to be closed and moved to where retail will be prime concern. More sensible people quite rightly made the decision that Castle Market was never going to remain a long term retail hub for the future.

The whole areas use is being pushed towards office and residential space with much LESS focus on retail. Castle Market (even a shiny renovated version of it) would have been ridiculous in an area surrounded by office with little other shops.